* OpenMP and Cygwin
@ 2008-07-03 19:13 Ami Marowka
From: Ami Marowka @ 2008-07-03 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: amimar2

Dear ALL,

I would like to work with OpenMP-C++ on top of Cygwin.
I installed the LATEST full version of Cygwin.
when I tried to compile:
gcc -fopenmp pi.cpp

I got the message:  "cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fopenmp" is valid
for D but not for C++"

I found that the gcc version is 3.4.4 !? Is there any reason why the LATEST
version of Cygwin uses so old gcc version?
It seems that gcc version 3.4.4 does not support OpenMP.

How can install/update my Cygwin with the newest gcc version.

Thanks in advance.
Ami Marowka

* Re: OpenMP and Cygwin
@ 2008-07-03 20:37 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2008-07-03 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ami Marowka wrote:

> I got the message:  "cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fopenmp" is valid
> for D but not for C++"
>
> I found that the gcc version is 3.4.4 !? Is there any reason why the LATEST
> version of Cygwin uses so old gcc version?
> It seems that gcc version 3.4.4 does not support OpenMP.

You'll find the topics you raised beaten nearly to death in the mailing
list archives.  While it's not too difficult to build current g++ (without
cygwin special patches) on Cygwin, I haven't found anything but
performance loss for the resulting OpenMP.  Others have discussed the
weaknesses of the attempting increased usage of exception handling.