* RE: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18 13:50 David T. Schneider
From: David T. Schneider @ 2001-09-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have managed to revert to cygwin 1.3.2 and now both the ARM cross
builds and the native builds are running.  As far as I can determine,
the cygwin package is the only thing different between the two
environments.  Are there any suggestions on how to isolate the cause of
the failures?

David T. Schneider
Chief Technical Officer
SoC Solutions, L.L.C.

From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David T. Schneider, cygwin

The best suggestion I can offer is the obvious, but I'll state it in case
it hasn't occurred to someone who would like to help resolve it.  Debugging
the Cygwin DLL is probably the most informative approach to isolating the
problem.

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18 15:43   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:23:21PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>The best suggestion I can offer is the obvious, but I'll state it in case
>it hasn't occurred to someone who would like to help resolve it.  Debugging
>the Cygwin DLL is probably the most informative approach to isolating the
>problem.

Actually, there is no Cygwin DLL debugging involved.

Unless I am missing something, this is a compile time error in
libiberty.  The fix should be extremely obvious.  Since the people
building the tools are all apparently C programmers I am not sure why no
one has proposed a fix yet.

Actually, I've already suggested one solution which seems to have been
ignored.

Instead, people seem to be adopting the typical Microsoft user way of
thinking: "Hmm.  1.3.3 not work.  Me downgrade to 1.3.2...  Now let me
reboot many times...  It work! Problem am solved!"

It is inconceivable (even for this mailing list) that we keep discussing
this and none of the affected parties have bothered to look at what's
failing.  People have apparently been stalled for days because of a
simple C compilation error!  Wow.

cgf

>At 04:49 PM 9/18/2001, David T. Schneider wrote:
>>I have managed to revert to cygwin 1.3.2 and now both the ARM cross
>>builds and the native builds are running.  As far as I can determine,
>>the cygwin package is the only thing different between the two
>>environments.  Are there any suggestions on how to isolate the cause of
>>the failures?
>>
>>David T. Schneider
>>Chief Technical Officer
>>SoC Solutions, L.L.C.

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18 15:57     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ah, good point Chris.  I've apparently been skimming this email too
lightly lately.  No debugging necessary for this one.  Just patching! ;-)

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18 16:36       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 06:57:52PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>Ah, good point Chris.  I've apparently been skimming this email too
>lightly lately.  No debugging necessary for this one.  Just patching! ;-)

Your intent was correct, however.  This requires debugging of the kind that
involves looking at the sources and figuring out what's wrong and patching it.

cgf

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-20 12:30 ` Christopher Currie
From: Christopher Currie @ 2001-09-20 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:25:18AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If you are going to take it upon yourself to take a cygwin problem into
> other mailing lists, you really should check out the CVS sources to see
> if this has actually been solved or not.

You're right, my bad. If I'd looked, I'd have seen that they fixed it
in CVS a month ago. Consider me suitably chastised. All of your points
are valid, and I would have realized that had I looked at the CVS tree.

Christopher

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18  8:46 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:47:20PM -0700, Doug Johnson wrote:
>I am having a similar experience.  I built a cross compiling gcc for
>W98->MIPS last week using 1.3.2.  Today I rebuilt my system from bare
>metal to run W2K.  Everything else is fine, but I cannot compile
>binutils using 1.3.3.  I get the same error that David is getting.
>
>I have tried to revert to 1.3.2, but that doesn't work because for some
>reason setup now believes that the cygwin package should be
>cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.bz2 (rather than cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz, which is
>what I have from my previous install).
>
>So I'm kind of toast for the moment.  Any guidance would be helpful.

It is just C source code we're talking about, right?  You have an editor?
Look at the place where the errors are coming from and make an
educated guess about fixing it.

What is the worse that can happen?  If you screw up do you think that
this will cause gcc to subtly miscompile your code so that all of the
add instructions are turned into sub instructions or something?  That's
not going to happen.

You are all programmers right?  Inspect the code.  Invest five minutes
worth of analysis into the problem.

If this is too tough for you, try removing the offending file from the
makefile or building from CVS sources.

I can't believe that there are three messages on this subject from people
who are apparently programmers without one suggested fix.

cgf

>Thanks.
>
>Doug Johnson
>
>Jason Kajita  wrote:
>
>>David T. Schneider" <dschneider at socsolutions dot com> wrote:
>>... When I try to build the tools to compile ARM code on CygWin
>>following the direction supplied for building ecos I get:
>>/usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c:461: conflicting types for
>>`sys_errlist'
>>/usr/include/sys/errno.h:23: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
>>when the make reaches /usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c
>>
>>I've also tried performing a native build for gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.0.1
>>and get the same error.  ...

cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/

* RE: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18  0:05 Doug Johnson
From: Doug Johnson @ 2001-09-18  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am having a similar experience.  I built a cross compiling gcc for
W98->MIPS last week using 1.3.2.  Today I rebuilt my system from bare metal
to run W2K.  Everything else is fine, but I cannot compile binutils using
1.3.3.  I get the same error that David is getting.

I have tried to revert to 1.3.2, but that doesn't work because for some
reason setup now believes that the cygwin package should be
cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.bz2 (rather than cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz, which is what I

Jason Kajita  wrote:

>David T. Schneider" <dschneider at socsolutions dot com> wrote:
>... When I try to build the tools to compile ARM code on CygWin
>following the direction supplied for building ecos I get:
>/usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c:461: conflicting types for
>`sys_errlist'
>/usr/include/sys/errno.h:23: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
>when the make reaches /usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c
>
>I've also tried performing a native build for gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.0.1
>and get the same error.  ...

* RE: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-17 17:24 Jason.Kajita