* is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
@ 2008-12-22  0:15 Kermit Tensmeyer
From: Kermit Tensmeyer @ 2008-12-22  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I' ve looked. I'm not finding the information. I'm searching for the
sequence of events that goes from clicking the shortcut to the
presentation of a command prompt (usually bash)

I'm trying to solve a persistent problem it's happened to me on four
different workstations. I've wiped everything, and re-installed from
scratch several times, and my problem reasserts it's self. I haven't
seen it mentioned. but almost everything else is :-) so if I can
figure it out, i might be able to solve my problem.

+  I'm looking for a pointer to documentation relating to the script
startup sequence.

My problem?  Each time that I start I get an error message that
indicates that in some script (not sure which ) sed is being executed,
but isn't found. It's true sed.exe is not in /bin.
  on several occasions, I have reinstalled the sed package (using
setup.cmd and use the same setup method that originally installed the
current installation)   Two day's ago I reinstalled the sed package
again. I copied the sed.exe to /usr/local/bin and to ssed.exe in /bin
or /usr/bin.

today sed.exe is missing -and- /usr/local/bin is empty.   ssed.exe is
still there.

 + how does the directory structure get setup? (is /usr/local/bin
being recreated from somewhere else?
 + is there something that is uninstalling the sed package?  (other
files in the sed package ie documentation are also missing) however
the package manifest (used when installing, upgrading or reinstalling)
insists that the package is already installed

something is walking on top of my installation, and I don't know why.
it's likly in some script. The only script sequence that I haven't
traced is the startup sequence

kermit tensmeyer at g mail com something else

* Re: is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
@ 2008-12-22  0:22 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-12-22  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, kermit.tensmeyer

* Re: is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
@ 2008-12-22  0:57   ` Kermit Tensmeyer
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Kermit Tensmeyer @ 2008-12-22  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:

* Re: is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
@ 2008-12-22  1:10     ` Christopher Faylor
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-12-22  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 06:56:23PM -0600, Kermit Tensmeyer wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
>>My guess is that you might have PATH problems.  But if you had followed
>>these directions:
>
>and that's why I'm asking for the documentation.  I don't need/want you
>to solve a problem that apparently only I have.  but yes I checked the
>complete path to see if there were other sed's.  No there wasn't.
>
>but 7 day's ago sed.exe was in /bin and the documentation was in
>/usr/share.  And today it isn't there anymore.

FYI, it is "days" not "day's".

>>>Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>>and attached the output of 'cygcheck -svr' as a text file, we'd know
>>better how to help you.
>
>my assumption is that something is wrong with my setup, not that there
>is a bug in the cygwin delivery.  cygcheck can check on the parameters
>used to build the install.  I

Nonetheless, you are asking for help in the cygwin list.  The above page
was created to help you ask intelligent questions so that problems can
be diagnosed.  cygcheck is a tool devised to help diagnose problems.

If you don't want help then all of the documentation is available at the
cygwin.com site.  It's pretty clearly labelled.  If you do want help
then please don't argue with people trying to help.  We really do need
cygcheck output.

cgf

* Re: is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
@ 2008-12-22  1:14     ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2008-12-22  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, December 21, 2008 4:56 pm, Kermit Tensmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
>> My guess is that you might have PATH problems.  But if you had followed
>>  these directions:
>
> and that's why I'm asking for the documentation. I don't need/want you to
> solve a problem that apparently only I have.

Ah, but technical mailing lists are usually hangouts for problem-solving
addicts.  In a sense, solving a problem is the reward the denizens
expect for going to the hassle of responding.

@ 2008-12-22  7:41     ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-12-22  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Kermit Tensmeyer (Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:56:23 -0600)>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
> > According to Kermit Tensmeyer on 12/21/2008 5:15 PM:
> >>
> >> today sed.exe is missing -and- /usr/local/bin is empty.   ssed.exe is
> >> still there.
> >>
> >>  + how does the directory structure get setup? (is /usr/local/bin
> >> being recreated from somewhere else?
> >
> > The default mount setup sets up /usr/local/bin as a mount to /usr/bin.
>
>   I was aware that /bin is also mounted as /usr/bin, I had thought the
> /usr/local was a seperate directory such that /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/sbin were separate from the root based directories.

That's correct. Eric made a mistake.

>   and that's why I'm asking for the documentation. I don't need/want
> you to solve a problem that apparently only I have.

You already mentioned that yourself. If you start bash then the
documentation is the man page of your shell (especially the FILES
section). Cygwin itself doesn't have a startup sequence because it
doesn't "start".

Thorsten

* Re: is it an FAQ: cygwin startup sequence
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-22 12:51     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-12-22 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kermit Tensmeyer; +Cc: cygwin