* Loginscript
@ 2008-12-23 23:17 Andreas Pfister
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andreas Pfister @ 2008-12-23 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have a question regarding the startup procedure of cygwin.
I tried to put an .login file into my home folder with an simple
command in it an suggested that this will be executed after starting
up cygwin but nothing happened. Any ideas or approaches to get that
work ?

Thanks a lot
Andreas

* Is it possible to install cigwyn application passing the setup?
@ 2008-12-23 23:35 ` Alexander M. Batishchev
From: Alexander M. Batishchev @ 2008-12-23 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.

Is it possible to install an application from cigwyn via any method, except
setup?
What for is there Cygwin Package List search, if the result for example
'uname' contains nothing about 'where a package or file lives in the Cygwin
release'?
Maybe I'm wrong, please tip me how to do that.

Cheers!
Alexander M. Batishchev

* Re: Loginscript
@ 2008-12-24  0:05 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2008-12-24  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andreas Pfister wrote:

> I have a question regarding the startup procedure of cygwin.
> I tried to put an .login file into my home folder with an simple command
> in it an suggested that this will be executed after starting up cygwin
> but nothing happened. Any ideas or approaches to get that work ?

.login only works with csh (tcsh is also 'c-shell'), Cygwin uses bash
which use .bashrc and a few others to set up things at startup.
--
René Berber

* Re: Loginscript
@ 2008-12-24  0:08   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-12-24  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

René Berber wrote:
> Andreas Pfister wrote:
>
>> I have a question regarding the startup procedure of cygwin.
>> I tried to put an .login file into my home folder with an simple command
>> in it an suggested that this will be executed after starting up cygwin
>> but nothing happened. Any ideas or approaches to get that work ?
>
> .login only works with csh (tcsh is also 'c-shell'), Cygwin uses bash
> which use .bashrc and a few others to set up things at startup.

For those curious about the details, see the bash (or tcsh) man page.
For those keeping score, this is not a Cygwin-specific issue. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Is it possible to install cigwyn application passing the setup?
@ 2008-12-24  0:26   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-12-24  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Alexander M. Batishchev wrote:
> Hi.

Hello.  Please don't commandeer someone else's threads for your own use.
If you have a new question for this list, just send a new message.

> Is it possible to install an application from cigwyn via any method, except
> setup?
> What for is there Cygwin Package List search, if the result for example
> 'uname' contains nothing about 'where a package or file lives in the Cygwin
> release'?
> Maybe I'm wrong, please tip me how to do that.

'setup.exe' is the supported way to install any Cygwin package.  While
one could certainly find another way to properly install a package, it
wouldn't be supported by this list and you'd miss out on all the fun of
installing it through 'setup.exe'. ;-)   The 'Cygwin Package List' page,
<http://cygwin.com/packages/> , is used to find out what package a
particular utility is in.  The intent is that a user that knows what
utility he/she wants but not which package has it can find this out.
Armed with the package name of the desired utility, the user can then
use 'setup.exe' to install that package.  Using your example, if I
simply type in 'uname' to the search, it returns a number of hits.
Installing all of these packages will get you 'uname' but that would
be overkill (especially since some of the packages returned from this
simple search are source. ;-) )  If you instead use '/bin/uname', you'll
see you get a much smaller list and that you're pointed to the
'coreutils' package exclusively.  Installing 'coreutils' with 'setup.exe'
gets you 'uname'.

FWIW, 'cygcheck -p /bin/uname' will get you the same information, if you
have an active Internet connection at the time that you initiate the
command.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Loginscript
@ 2008-12-24  8:24 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-12-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Andreas Pfister (Wed, 24 Dec 2008 00:05:56 +0100)>
> I have a question regarding the startup procedure of cygwin.

Cygwin is not an application. You cannot "start" Cygwin.

> I tried to put an .login file into my home folder with an simple
> command in it an suggested that this will be executed after starting
> up cygwin but nothing happened.

Cygwin is not an application. You cannot "start" Cygwin. You probably
started a (bash) shell.

> Any ideas or approaches to get that  work ?

Read the man page of your shell. Especially the section about files at
the end.

Thorsten