* Run a Cygwin (X) app from a DOS command line
@ 2008-12-31 12:14 John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2008-12-31 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is it possible to run a Cygwin GUI app (i.e. requiring 'X') from a DOS
terminal, as opposed to a bash terminal?  After starting the X server
I tried  "cygstart path/to/my/program" but nothing happened.  The app
runs fine if I start it from a bash terminal.

John

* Re: Run a Cygwin (X) app from a DOS command line
@ 2008-12-31 14:13 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2008-12-31 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* John Emmas (Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:13:20 -0000)>
> Is it possible to run a Cygwin GUI app (i.e. requiring 'X') from a DOS
> terminal, as opposed to a bash terminal?  After starting the X server
> I tried  "cygstart path/to/my/program" but nothing happened.  The app
> runs fine if I start it from a bash terminal.

You have to set the DISPLAY variable to a valid value.

Thorsten

* Re: Run a Cygwin (X) app from a DOS command line
@ 2008-12-31 15:40   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-12-31 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * John Emmas (Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:13:20 -0000)>
>> Is it possible to run a Cygwin GUI app (i.e. requiring 'X') from a DOS
>> terminal, as opposed to a bash terminal?  After starting the X server
>> I tried  "cygstart path/to/my/program" but nothing happened.  The app
>> runs fine if I start it from a bash terminal.
>
> You have to set the DISPLAY variable to a valid value.

You also need Cygwin's installation path in your Windows PATH variable.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Run a Cygwin (X) app from a DOS command line
@ 2008-12-31 17:42     ` John Emmas
From: John Emmas @ 2008-12-31 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Erich Dollansky @ 2009-01-06  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Emmas; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

it seems to me that the application misses a running X server.

It is the same under Unix if you start an X application directly on a
console without having X running.

Erich