* Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical Setup.exe)
@ 2009-01-16 23:00 Salokine Terata
From: Salokine Terata @ 2009-01-16 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin users,

I have installed Cygwin on few PC; To install Cygwin, I use graphical setup method to install vim, rsync and openssh packages.

Now I would like to install cron on all PC. Could I use SSH service and a command line to install cron package ?

How can manage Cygwin without go on all PC and reload Setup.exe.

My goal is to manage all my PC with my server via "dsh -f list.pc.txt -- aptitude -y install cron" or something like.
Is there an equivalent of aptitude or apt-tools ?
How to manage the cygwin distribution (update package list from repository and upgarde all cygwin)

I found Setup.exe options: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html
But I don't understand how manage list of packages.

Optional Question: Is there an official wiki for Cygwin project ?

Best regards.
Salokine.

* Re: Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical  Setup.exe)
@ 2009-01-17  3:06 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-17  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.automated>
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli>

> I found Setup.exe options: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html
> But I don't understand how manage list of packages.

There was talk about this in the past.  I forget where it ended up.  But
you don't really need a list of packages if you have a local package
directory with all the packages you want to install.  If some are already
installed at the current version, those will be skipped.  Of course, doing
this through 'ssh' means you need the OpenSSH server to have access to
the desktop, assuming you're PCs are < Vista.  See the '-i' switch on
cygrunsrv.

> Optional Question: Is there an official wiki for Cygwin project ?

No.  The Cygwin site is the place to go for official, supported information.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical  Setup.exe)
@ 2009-01-20 17:22   ` Thrall, Bryan
From: Thrall, Bryan @ 2009-01-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote on Monday, January 19, 2009 6:02 PM:
> Salokine Terata wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.automated>
>>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli>
>> Yes, I have read them, but I don't find how to use it to install a
specified
>> package.
>> Coud you give me an example to install my cron package?
>
> Well I haven't done this myself, mind you, so this is untested but:
>
> setup.exe -q -n -N -d -R c:\cygwin -s http://yourFavoriteMirror -l
> c:\localPackageDir
>
> There isn't a flag that specifies individual packages, so this will
get
> and install all current packages.  If you want to control what gets
> installed, you could pull down the package(s) you want using 'wget' or
> 'curl' to your local package directory and then use the '-L' flag
> instead of the '-s' flag to install the package(s) you got, which will
> happen by default since these are the only new packages in your local
> package directory.  Alternatively, you can look in the cygwin and
> cygwin-apps email archives for discussions about this.  I believe
there
> was a patch offered to do this, but I'm not sure of its status.  You
> could also check the source in CVS for the current state of the
> available options.

The latest setup.exe snapshots contain such an option (at least since
2.602, perhaps earlier): '-P <comma-separated list of packages to
install>'.

--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International

* Re: Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical  Setup.exe)
@ 2009-01-20  0:14 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-20  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Salokine Terata wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.automated>
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli>
> Yes, I have read them, but I don't find how to use it to install a specified package.
> Coud you give me an example to install my cron package?

Well I haven't done this myself, mind you, so this is untested but:

setup.exe -q -n -N -d -R c:\cygwin -s http://yourFavoriteMirror -l
c:\localPackageDir

There isn't a flag that specifies individual packages, so this will get
and install all current packages.  If you want to control what gets
installed, you could pull down the package(s) you want using 'wget' or
'curl' to your local package directory and then use the '-L' flag
instead of the '-s' flag to install the package(s) you got, which will
happen by default since these are the only new packages in your local
package directory.  Alternatively, you can look in the cygwin and
cygwin-apps email archives for discussions about this.  I believe there
was a patch offered to do this, but I'm not sure of its status.  You
could also check the source in CVS for the current state of the
available options.

>> Of course, doing
>> this through 'ssh' means you need the OpenSSH server to have access to
>> the desktop, assuming you're PCs are < Vista.  See the '-i' switch on
>> cygrunsrv.
> Yes, it's work fine.
>
> I search how to install/remove/update a package through SSH.
> If someone have an exemple (with Setup.exe or other method)
>
> What do you think about apt-cyg (http://stephenjungels.com/jungels.net/projects/apt-cyg/)
> Is it a perennial solution ? Is it in de Cygwin repository ? (I don't find it in http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=apt-cyg)

This suffers from the same bootstrap problem that rpm, dpkg, and other
established Linux install facilities have.  Only 'setup.exe' can install
Cygwin from scratch as well as maintain the installation.  So these other
facilities/options can usually help with the maintenance for those who
want to try them.  But they aren't considered a supported installation/
maintenance procedure.  If you plan to use one of these methods, you're
on your own.

apt-cyg is not a Cygwin package.  It is not part of the distribution and
therefore not in the Cygwin repository.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical Setup.exe)
@ 2009-01-17 13:30 Salokine Terata
From: Salokine Terata @ 2009-01-17 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

><http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.automated>
><http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli>
Yes, I have read them, but I don't find how to use it to install a specified package.
Coud you give me an example to install my cron package?

>Of course, doing
>this through 'ssh' means you need the OpenSSH server to have access to
>the desktop, assuming you're PCs are < Vista.  See the '-i' switch on
>cygrunsrv.
Yes, it's work fine.

I search how to install/remove/update a package through SSH.
If someone have an exemple (with Setup.exe or other method)

What do you think about apt-cyg (http://stephenjungels.com/jungels.net/projects/apt-cyg/)
Is it a perennial solution ? Is it in de Cygwin repository ? (I don't find it in http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=apt-cyg)

Thanks
Salokine.