* Re: libapr1 in cygwin
       [not found] <27dfa3d0901180829w49c2157cl2c3249be2132c33e@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-01-18 20:55 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-01-18 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Daniel Stonier

On 1/18/2009 8:29 AM, Daniel Stonier wrote:
> Hi,

Hi. Please direct these kinds of questions to the cygwin mailing list
(cygwin AT cygwin.com) in the future.

> I've been running into a few hitches with libapr1 and libapr1-util on
> cygwin. Namely another package I need requires liblog4cxx to have
> these libraries available statically and I noticed the cygwin build of
> libapr1/libapr1-util disables these. Is there any reason why they're
> avoided?

I recall that the build failed when static libraries were enabled. I
don't recall how. I'll try it again and see if I can debug it. Feel free
to download the source package and try it yourself. I'd gratefully
accept any patches to make it work.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code."
                 -- an anonymous programmer

* Re: libapr1 in cygwin
@ 2009-01-18 21:09   ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-01-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Daniel Stonier

On 1/18/2009 10:44 AM, David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 1/18/2009 8:29 AM, Daniel Stonier wrote:
>> I've been running into a few hitches with libapr1 and libapr1-util on
>> cygwin. Namely another package I need requires liblog4cxx to have
>> these libraries available statically and I noticed the cygwin build of
>> libapr1/libapr1-util disables these. Is there any reason why they're
>> avoided?
>
> I recall that the build failed when static libraries were enabled. I
> don't recall how. I'll try it again and see if I can debug it.

I think I've found the problem. I'll issue a new release of the libapr1
packages that include the static libraries in the -devel package.

AFAICT, the libaprutil1 packages already include the static libraries.

user, n.:
         The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
                 -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

[I always thought "computer professional" was the phrase hackers used
  when they meant "idiot."  Ed.]

* Re: libapr1 in cygwin
@ 2009-01-18 21:44   ` Daniel Stonier
From: Daniel Stonier @ 2009-01-18 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi. Please direct these kinds of questions to the cygwin mailing list
> (cygwin AT cygwin.com) in the future.

Sure.

> I recall that the build failed when static libraries were enabled. I don't
> recall how. I'll try it again and see if I can debug it. Feel free to
> download the source package and try it yourself. I'd gratefully accept any
> patches to make it work.

Indeed, I've been having a shot at it all night inbetween getting our
robot ready to run for a presentation tomorrow. Initially I'd only
planned to rebuild it locally, but it'd be better if it was maintained
with the cygwin packages rather than on our hard drive.

However, I've run into a few hitches with the cygwin source build - I
just started using cygwin yesterday, so not very familiar with its
build system/environment and got thrown by errors coming from a
libtool mismatch. I'll keep at it - I think we're going to need cygwin
to build our user end programs so I'll need to familiarise myself with
it regardless.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Daniel Stonier.

* Re: libapr1 in cygwin
@ 2009-01-18 22:12     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-01-18 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/18/2009 1:26 PM, Daniel Stonier wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>> I recall that the build failed when static libraries were enabled.
[snip]
> However, I've run into a few hitches with the cygwin source build - I
> just started using cygwin yesterday, so not very familiar with its
> build system/environment and got thrown by errors coming from a
> libtool mismatch. I'll keep at it - I think we're going to need cygwin
> to build our user end programs so I'll need to familiarise myself with
> it regardless.

In case you missed it, I just packaged a new version with static
libraries. The problem was the build/libtool.m4 file in the source
tarball conflicted with the version of libtool now used in the Cygwin
distribution. Removing that file before building solves the problem.

Contact me off-list if you can't wait for the new packages to be
uploaded -- I can provide you with a pointer to them or the updated
cygport files for you to build it yourself.

Friends, n.:
         People who borrow your books and set wet glasses on them.

         People who know you well, but like you anyway.