* syntax highlighting on Joe
@ 2009-01-26 19:56 Javier Sedano
From: Javier Sedano @ 2009-01-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi friends,

	I've been using cygwin for many years, but had never subscribed to this
list. Now, I have a strange behaviour, and hope you can help me.

	I'm a fan of the Joe editor. I use it on xterm. Up to now, it had
always made syntax-higglighting out of the box. However, when I
installed it yesterday (from the latest version, using the mirror
cygwin.cict.fr) on a new computer, it did not.
	It seems that the syntax file are not the problem, because (a) the jsf
files are there (see the log below); and (b) the autoindent for example
is working.
	Any idea?

	Since I am using it on xterm, it may be a problem related to cygwin/x.
Feel free to forward me to another list if you think that's a better
place for the question.

Thank you in advance,

jsedano@flint:~/prj> ls /usr/share/joe/syntax/
4gl.jsf    csh.jsf      joerc.jsf  pascal.jsf  sed.jsf    troff.jsf
ada.jsf    css.jsf      lisp.jsf   perl.jsf    sh.jsf     verilog.jsf
asm.jsf    diff.jsf     lua.jsf    php.jsf     skill.jsf  vhdl.jsf
awk.jsf    fortran.jsf  m4.jsf     ps.jsf      sml.jsf    xml.jsf
c.jsf      haskell.jsf  mail.jsf   python.jsf  sql.jsf
cobol.jsf  html.jsf     mason.jsf  rexx.jsf    tcl.jsf
conf.jsf   java.jsf     ocaml.jsf  ruby.jsf    tex.jsf
jsedano@flint:~/prj>

Javier Sedano
javier.sedano@gmail.com

* Re: syntax highlighting on Joe
@ 2009-01-26 22:31 ` Javier Sedano
From: Javier Sedano @ 2009-01-26 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Javier Sedano escribió:

>     Since I am using it on xterm, it may be a problem related to
> cygwin/x. Feel free to forward me to another list if you think that's a
> better place for the question.

	It's probably unrelated to X, because using it on the cygwin command
window, it is also uncolored.

--

@ 2009-01-27  5:29 ` Julio Emanuel
From: Julio Emanuel @ 2009-01-27  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Javier,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:58, Javier Sedano wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
>        I've been using cygwin for many years, but had never subscribed to
> this list. Now, I have a strange behaviour, and hope you can help me.
>
>        I'm a fan of the Joe editor. I use it on xterm. Up to now, it had
> always made syntax-higglighting out of the box. However, when I installed it
> yesterday (from the latest version, using the mirror cygwin.cict.fr) on a
> new computer, it did not.

Welcome aboard. I've had this problem also. I've reported, but never
had any answer.
Yet, I've managed to report the problem AND the solution in the same email :)

You can check it right here:

>        It seems that the syntax file are not the problem, because (a) the

Well, actually, they ARE the problem (or their location, to be exact).

> jsf files are there (see the log below); and (b) the autoindent for example
> is working.
>        Any idea?

<snip>

I also would like to grab this opportunity to (once again) ring the
service bell to whoever maintain this package 'joe'.
It's my favorite (actually the only) editor in the Unix/Cygwin
environments, and that's unfortunate to see this package negleted,
because this seems to be a simple packaging problem. Also, currently
the upstream version is already 3.7 (TWO versions beyond the Cygwin
current!).

Could all this whining give us "joe'ers" a brand new version of this
package? Pretty Please? :)

All the best,

* Re: syntax highlighting on Joe
@ 2009-01-27  6:17   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-27  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Julio Emanuel wrote:

<snip>

> I also would like to grab this opportunity to (once again) ring the
> service bell to whoever maintain this package 'joe'.
> It's my favorite (actually the only) editor in the Unix/Cygwin
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perhaps it's your only favorite editor but it is not the only editor
in the Unix, Linux, or Cygwin environments, in case anyone gets the
wrong immression. ;-)

> environments, and that's unfortunate to see this package negleted,
> because this seems to be a simple packaging problem. Also, currently
> the upstream version is already 3.7 (TWO versions beyond the Cygwin
> current!).
>
> Could all this whining give us "joe'ers" a brand new version of this
> package? Pretty Please? :)

If this really is just a packaging issue, you may have better luck
reporting it to the cygwin-apps list (where packaging issues are on-
topic).  Jari has responded to things there of-late.  Of course, if
you're desperate for a newer 'joe' and aren't going to build it yourself,
you can take advantage of the version packaged and announced here:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-11/msg00001.html>

Of course, if you go this route, you can't come back to this list with
your "whining" if something doesn't work.  Perhaps it's a small price
to pay. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: syntax highlighting on Joe
@ 2009-01-27 13:58     ` Julio Emanuel
From: Julio Emanuel @ 2009-01-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:20, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Julio Emanuel wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I also would like to grab this opportunity to (once again) ring the
>> service bell to whoever maintain this package 'joe'.
>> It's my favorite (actually the only) editor in the Unix/Cygwin
>
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Perhaps it's your only favorite editor but it is not the only editor
> in the Unix, Linux, or Cygwin environments, in case anyone gets the
> wrong immression. ;-)

Hmmm. Right. Please patch MY mail :)

sed -e 's/the only/MY only/g'

>> environments, and that's unfortunate to see this package negleted,
>> because this seems to be a simple packaging problem. Also, currently
>> the upstream version is already 3.7 (TWO versions beyond the Cygwin
>> current!).
>>
>> Could all this whining give us "joe'ers" a brand new version of this
>> package? Pretty Please? :)
>
> If this really is just a packaging issue, you may have better luck
> reporting it to the cygwin-apps list (where packaging issues are on-
> topic).  Jari has responded to things there of-late.

Damn! And I knew it - sorry for the noise :(
I'll send a new mail to the -apps with only the pertinent comments...

> Of course, if
> you're desperate for a newer 'joe' and aren't going to build it yourself,
> you can take advantage of the version packaged and announced here:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-11/msg00001.html>

I must have missed those mails somehow.
It seems pretty interesting, but also shows that maybe Jari is not
having enough time to handle these requests :(

> Of course, if you go this route, you can't come back to this list with
> your "whining" if something doesn't work.  Perhaps it's a small price
> to pay. ;-)

Small indeed. And you forgot the "Do It Yourself" way...
If only I had a few free hours :)

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Thanks for the help!

* Re: syntax highlighting on Joe
@ 2009-01-27 19:50   ` Javier Sedano