* gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-22 10:05 grip
From: grip @ 2009-02-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all
I  am having trouble with gcc and  the simplest of programs in C.
To test my gcc  installation, I tried this program:

Code:
----

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
 {
	printf("Test this") ;
	return(0);

 }

followed by

gcc test.c -o test.

I  get  some strange errors which  goes like:

test.c: In function `main':
test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
test.c:5: error: `Test' undeclared (first use in this function)
test.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
test.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
test.c:5: error: parse error before "this"
test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program

Had this got something to do  with unrecognised double quotes?
Can someone provide some  guidance on how to resolve this.

Help much appreciated!

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-22 14:04 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-22 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

grip wrote:

> gcc test.c -o test.
>
> I  get  some strange errors which  goes like:
>
> test.c: In function `main':
> test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
> test.c:5: error: `Test' undeclared (first use in this function)
> test.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> test.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
> test.c:5: error: parse error before "this"
> test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
>

> Had this got something to do  with unrecognised double quotes?

  Yes.  "\168" is the "Diaeresis" mark, not any kind of quote at all.

> Can someone provide some  guidance on how to resolve this.

  Don't use Microsoft Word to write C source files?  The real question is, how
did the file get to be that way in the first place?  Do you have an unusual
keyboard layout/mapping?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-22 18:44   ` tmcd
From: tmcd @ 2009-02-22 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> grip wrote:
>
> > gcc test.c -o test.
> >
> > I  get  some strange errors which  goes like:
> >
> > test.c: In function `main':
> > test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
> > test.c:5: error: `Test' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > test.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > test.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
> > test.c:5: error: parse error before "this"
> > test.c:5: error: stray '\168' in program
> >

> > Had this got something to do  with unrecognised double quotes?
>
> Yes.  "\168" is the "Diaeresis" mark, not any kind of quote at
> all.

Yabbut \nnn should represent an octal escape (right?), but 8 is not an
octal digit.  168 decimal is indeed umlaut (octal 250, hex A8).

> > Can someone provide some  guidance on how to resolve this.
>
>   Don't use Microsoft Word to write C source files?  The real
> question is, how did the file get to be that way in the first place?

In particular, what about the quotation marks?  Are they Microsoft
so-called "smart quotes", octal 223 = decimal 147 = hex 93 for open
curly double quotes and all those plus 1 for closing?  I'd try going
into a non-word processor program, like vi or maybe Notepad, delete
the double-quotes, retype them, and see if the result shows on the
screen as vertical or identical quotation marks.  -- I have to admit
that that doesn't fit the "stray \168" error message, so it's a long
shot, but at least it's quick and harmless to try it.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd@panix.com

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-23  8:03 ` grip
From: grip @ 2009-02-23  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

>   Don't use Microsoft Word to write C source files?  The real question is,
> how

:) No, not using Word !!

> did the file get to be that way in the first place?  Do you have an
> unusual
> keyboard layout/mapping?

I have a Sun Keyboard.
And I  did not do  any keyboard mapping.

Some logs when I  start XWin below:

- "English-USA, INternational (20409)
- type="4
- Model=pc105,
- Layout=us_intl

Did receive a  warning while starting Xwin though

------------
The KKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Warning: Type " ONE LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
 Ignoring extra symbols
-------------

I dont know if this is related to this...

Cheers
grip

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-23  8:04   ` grip
From: grip @ 2009-02-23  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

>   Don't use Microsoft Word to write C source files?  The real question is,
> how

:) No, not using Word !!

@ 2009-02-23 12:55   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-23 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

grip wrote:
> Hi
>
>>   Don't use Microsoft Word to write C source files?  The real question is,
>> how
>
> :) No, not using Word !!

  :)  I didn't think it was very likely really!

>> did the file get to be that way in the first place?  Do you have an
>> unusual keyboard layout/mapping?
>
> I have a Sun Keyboard.

  As in off of a Solaris system?  That is a little unusual.  I've got one
lying around myself, if need be I could plug it in and see if I can reproduce
the problem.

> And I  did not do  any keyboard mapping.
>
> Some logs when I  start XWin below:
>
> - "English-USA, INternational (20409)
> - type="4
> - Model=pc105,
> - Layout=us_intl
>
> Did receive a  warning while starting Xwin though
>
> ------------
> The KKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type " ONE LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>  Ignoring extra symbols
> -------------
>
> I dont know if this is related to this...

  Nor do I, but let's see what's in that file: can you show us the output you
get from running "od -tx1 test.c" on your testcase please, and tell us exactly
what editor you used.  Also, type "od -tx1" at a command line without any
filename following it, type a quote mark, then press enter, then Ctrl+D, and
show us what that says.

  Also, does the same happen if you use the ordinary (cmd.exe-style) DOS
console instead of an X-based GUI console?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-23 15:48     ` Tim McDaniel
From: Tim McDaniel @ 2009-02-23 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  Nor do I, but let's see what's in that file: can you show us the
> output you get from running "od -tx1 test.c" on your testcase
> please, and tell us exactly what editor you used.

I personally prefer "od -tx1 -a test.c": it should add ASCII versions
of each character, to make it faster to find particular positions.

> Also, type "od -tx1" at a command line without any filename
> following it, type a quote mark, then press enter, then Ctrl+D, and
> show us what that says.

Being ultra-precise: type
     od -tx1

at a command line, and then press enter.  That will start the "octal
dump" program.  The quote mark (meaning ") and enter is the one line
of input.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 17:07       ` grip
From: grip @ 2009-02-24 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Dave and Tim

1. Output from od -tx1  test.c

---------------------BEGIN-------------------------------
0000000 23 69 6e 63 6c 75 64 65 20 3c 73 74 64 69 6f 2e
0000020 68 3e 0a 0a 69 6e 74 20 6d 61 69 6e 28 29 0a 20
0000040 7b 0a 70 72 69 6e 74 66 28 a8 54 65 73 74 20 74
0000060 68 69 73 a8 29 3b 0a 72 65 74 75 72 6e 28 30 29
0000100 3b 0a 20 7d 0a
0000105

---------------------END-------------------------------

2. Output from od- tx1 -a test.c

---------------------BEGIN-------------------------------
0000000 23 69 6e 63 6c 75 64 65 20 3c 73 74 64 69 6f 2e
          #   i   n   c   l   u   d   e  sp   <   s   t   d   i   o   .
0000020 68 3e 0a 0a 69 6e 74 20 6d 61 69 6e 28 29 0a 20
          h   >  nl  nl   i   n   t  sp   m   a   i   n   (   )  nl  sp
0000040 7b 0a 70 72 69 6e 74 66 28 a8 54 65 73 74 20 74
          {  nl   p   r   i   n   t   f   (   (   T   e   s   t  sp   t
0000060 68 69 73 a8 29 3b 0a 72 65 74 75 72 6e 28 30 29
          h   i   s   (   )   ;  nl   r   e   t   u   r   n   (   0   )
0000100 3b 0a 20 7d 0a
          ;  nl  sp   }  nl
0000105
---------------------END-------------------------------

@ 2009-02-24 17:26       ` grip
From: grip @ 2009-02-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ok here are more clues and I think this should help you:

1. From the command prompt from windows, I tried this
    - od -tx1 <ENTER>
    - "<ENTER> (Note:  I have to  type double  quotes  twice always and  I
get two double quotes. I
                      use backspace to remove one every time. A single
double quotes produces no output on
                      the  screen )
    -<CTRL-D>

-------------BEGIN------------
0000000 22 0a
0000002
-------------END------------

2.From xterm
  Now I cannot  get to type the double quotes at  all. Also within vi in
xterm.

  From windows command prompt, the double quotes gets printed as explained
in 1 above (have to type it twice to get 2 "s , use backspace to delete one
to finally get 1 " , as explained above. )

 I closed everything and launched xterm again and still I cant get to  type
the " in xterm or vi within xterm.

Hope these inputs help you

CHeers
CM

@ 2009-02-24 17:27         ` Tim McDaniel
From: Tim McDaniel @ 2009-02-24 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, grip <Chandramohan.USecure@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Output from od- tx1 -a test.c
>
> ---------------------BEGIN-------------------------------
> 0000000 23 69 6e 63 6c 75 64 65 20 3c 73 74 64 69 6f 2e
>          #  i  n  c  l  u  d  e sp  <  s  t  d  i  o  .
> 0000020 68 3e 0a 0a 69 6e 74 20 6d 61 69 6e 28 29 0a 20
>          h  > nl nl  i  n  t sp  m  a  i  n  (  ) nl sp
> 0000040 7b 0a 70 72 69 6e 74 66 28 a8 54 65 73 74 20 74
>          { nl  p  r  i  n  t  f  (  (  T  e  s  t sp  t
> 0000060 68 69 73 a8 29 3b 0a 72 65 74 75 72 6e 28 30 29
>          h  i  s  (  )  ; nl  r  e  t  u  r  n  (  0  )
> 0000100 3b 0a 20 7d 0a
>          ; nl sp  } nl
> 0000105
> ---------------------END-------------------------------

THank you for providing that.  I've deleted spaces so that the text
representations line up under the hex representations (why od doesn't
do that I don't know; nor do I know how to make od do that).

They really ARE umlauts in Latin-1, hex a8 shown above.  Why any other
program displays them as double quotes is beyond me: od apparently
strips the high bit to display them (0xa8 becomes 0x28, which is "(");
DOS codepage 437 would show an inverted question mark.

Anyway, go into your editor, delete the "quotation marks" that are
around the string, and retype them with the " key that's probably next
to Enter on your keyboard.  Then re-do od as above to make sure that
they show up as ", hex code 22, instead of a8 or anything else.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 17:47           ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2009-02-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tim McDaniel <tmcd <at> panix.com> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, grip <Chandramohan.USecure <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. Output from od- tx1 -a test.c
> >
> > ---------------------BEGIN-------------------------------
> > 0000000 23 69 6e 63 6c 75 64 65 20 3c 73 74 64 69 6f 2e
> >          #  i  n  c  l  u  d  e sp  <  s  t  d  i  o  .
>
> THank you for providing that.  I've deleted spaces so that the text
> representations line up under the hex representations (why od doesn't
> do that I don't know; nor do I know how to make od do that).

Making od align output is easy - upgrade to cygwin 1.7 and coreutils 7.0, where
you will then get my upstream patch that does just that ;)  (and no, I won't
port coreutils 7.0 to cygwin 1.5; I'm already swamped trying to get coreutils
7.1 and bash 4.0 built).

> They really ARE umlauts in Latin-1, hex a8 shown above.  Why any other
> program displays them as double quotes is beyond me: od apparently
> strips the high bit to display them (0xa8 becomes 0x28, which is "(");
> DOS codepage 437 would show an inverted question mark.

That's because you used -a, instead of -c.  od --help confirms that -a
intentionally drops the high bit, producing ambiguous output:

  -a   same as -t a,  select named characters, ignoring high-order bit
  -b   same as -t o1, select octal bytes
  -c   same as -t c,  select ASCII characters or backslash escapes
  a          named character, ignoring high-order bit
  c          ASCII character or backslash escape

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin coreutils maintainer

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 17:55         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2009-02-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

grip <Chandramohan.USecure <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 1. From the command prompt from windows, I tried this
>     - od -tx1 <ENTER>
>     - "<ENTER> (Note:  I have to  type double  quotes  twice always and  I
> get two double quotes. I
>                       use backspace to remove one every time. A single
> double quotes produces no output on
>                       the  screen )

That seems fishy.  You are probably better off getting to the root of why "
isn't working the first time around.  Perhaps a faulty .inputrc setting is at
play?  Or maybe a strange stty setting?

--
Eric Blake

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 19:09           ` Tim McDaniel
From: Tim McDaniel @ 2009-02-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
> grip <Chandramohan.USecure <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 1. From the command prompt from windows, I tried this
>>     - od -tx1 <ENTER>
>>     - "<ENTER> (Note: I have to type double quotes twice always
>>                       and I get two double quotes. I use backspace
>>                       to remove one every time. A single double
>>                       quotes produces no output on the screen)
>
> That seems fishy.  You are probably better off getting to the root
> of why " isn't working the first time around.  Perhaps a faulty
> .inputrc setting is at play?  Or maybe a strange stty setting?

Escape character in your terminal program, even?  Though that seems
unlikely to me: the terminal programs I've used of late look for ~ as
the first character on a line only, and the double quotes are not at
the start of a line.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 19:11           ` Tim McDaniel
From: Tim McDaniel @ 2009-02-24 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Tim McDaniel <tmcd@panix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, grip <xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:
and so forth.

I just realized I've been forgetting this list's custom of ripping out
e-mail addresses, so I've sent out a bunch of unobfuscated ones
lately.  My apologies.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com

* Re: gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program
@ 2009-02-24 21:13         ` Sylvain RICHARD
From: Sylvain RICHARD @ 2009-02-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

grip wrote:
> Note:  I have to  type double  quotes  twice always and  I
> get two double quotes. I use backspace to remove one every time. A single
> double quotes produces no output on the  screen

This behaviour is coherent with the hypothesis that you're in fact using
the diaeresis key, and it seems to be a "dead key" on your keyboard.
What happens when you press:
- {mysterious key}+{space}. Do you get a single ¨ ?
- {mysterious key}+a. Do you get ä ? That is (if encoding of this key
get börked) an a plus two dots on top of it.
- {mysterious key}+e. Do you get ë ? (Same thing for e)

You may use the illustration in the Diaeresis wikipedia article [1]
useful (right sidebar).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis

Good luck,

--