* problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 12:52 ycollet
From: ycollet @ 2009-02-27 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I was trying to compile project from coin-or (http://www.coin-or.org) using
the cygwin tools and I found a problem:
.deps/ClpCholeskyBase.Plo:1: *** multiple target patterns. (and several
other error messages from this kind)

So I searched in google some hints and found that this is a "well know"
problem. It seems that make 3.81 has some difficulties to handle "automatic
header file dependencies". One solution is to use make 3.80. But I don't
understand why this problem is still not corrected ??

Your sincerely,

YC

PS: I added the comment made on the coin-or website related to this problem
with reference to the bug description (see the 2006 year ...).

* On Cygwin, GNU make version 3.81-1 delivered by the default setup program
doesn't work with the automatic header file dependencies, generated by the
compilers.

The error message you will see because of this bug will look something like
this:

make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/andreasw/COIN-svn/OBJgcc-debug/Clp/trunk/Clp/src'
.deps/ClpCholeskyBase.Plo:1: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

Here are two suggested fixes:
1. Try to obtain the previous version (3.80); for example, you can download
it from http://cygwin.paracoda.com/release/make/make-3.80-1.tar.bz2.
2. Obtain a fixed 3.81 version, for example from
http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe. (See the Cygwin mailing list
postings http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-09/msg00315.html and
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-09/msg00153.html)

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 13:43 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-27 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ycollet wrote:

> I was trying to compile project from coin-or (http://www.coin-or.org) using
> the cygwin tools and I found a problem:
> .deps/ClpCholeskyBase.Plo:1: *** multiple target patterns. (and several
> other error messages from this kind)
>
> So I searched in google some hints and found that this is a "well know"
> problem. It seems that make 3.81 has some difficulties to handle "automatic
> header file dependencies".

  No, not exactly.  Make handles automatic header file dependencies absolutely
fine, but the one thing it doesn't understand is DOS-style paths that begin
with a drive letter and colon.  So if you're using a non-cygwin compiler that
outputs the wrong kind of file paths, make won't understand them.

> PS: I added the comment made on the coin-or website related to this problem
> with reference to the bug description (see the 2006 year ...).

  That's not helpful, because you misunderstood and your comment is incorrect
and misleading.  The real problem (I can tell without even looking at the site
or anything else) is that you are using the cygwin compiler's "-mno-cygwin"
option, which in fact turns it into a MinGW compiler, using DOS-based file
paths.  If you want make to understand MinGW paths generated by a MinGW
compiler, you should use a MinGW make, not a Cygwin make.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 19:19     ` Rob Walker
From: Rob Walker @ 2009-02-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Or, you could unpack a patched up version of Cygwin's GNU make-3.81,
available here:

http://sites.rwalker.com/cygwin

-Rob

Dave Korn wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:

>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Yes, I fill that. But that's a little bit complicated: to benefit from a
>>> "pure" windows binary, you can compile a mingw binary using cygwin tools.
>>> But you still need to download the make tool from the mingw website.
>>>
>> In *certain* cases -- if you're lucky -- you can use the cygwin make,
>> but you have to turn off automatic dependency tracking in your project.
>> For projects that use automake, you can do this using
>> --disable-dependency-tracking. But there are significant drawbacks to
>> doing this. And if it breaks your project, you get to keep all the
>> pieces (e.g. doing this is not supported by us, or anyone else).
>>

>   Or, you can hack the makefile or put wrapper scripts around the compiler to
> post-process the generated dependencies using cygpath (details left as
> exercise for reader).
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
>
> --

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 15:46   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-02-27 14:35 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2009-02-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ycollet@freesurf.fr wrote:
>> I think Dave wants you to get the mingw-make from the mingw project site
> :-)
>
> Yes, I fill that. But that's a little bit complicated: to benefit from a
> "pure" windows binary, you can compile a mingw binary using cygwin tools.
> But you still need to download the make tool from the mingw website.

In *certain* cases -- if you're lucky -- you can use the cygwin make,
but you have to turn off automatic dependency tracking in your project.
For projects that use automake, you can do this using
--disable-dependency-tracking. But there are significant drawbacks to
doing this. And if it breaks your project, you get to keep all the
pieces (e.g. doing this is not supported by us, or anyone else).

--
Chuck

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 14:09 ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2009-02-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

y?????t@f??????f.fr wrote:

Apologies for not mangling the email address in my other
response to that note.

Turns out that if you make your email address the display
name, then it forces the person sending a reply to do
extra work so that your email address isn't visible
everywhere.

Ralph

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 14:09 ycollet
From: ycollet @ 2009-02-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I think Dave wants you to get the mingw-make from the mingw project site
:-)

Yes, I fill that. But that's a little bit complicated: to benefit from a
"pure" windows binary, you can compile a mingw binary using cygwin tools.
But you still need to download the make tool from the mingw website.

> Pssst. Don't tell anyone else here but when I want to compile
> programs for Windows systems that have no Cygwin dependencies, I
> just use the MinGW toolchain from the MinGW site.

I installed last week mingw. I am still fighting some cygwin habit while
using mingw :-)

> If the current plans for gcc4 are still in place -mno-cygwin
> will soon disappear. Maybe not soon enough.

Certainly a good thing. Do mingw things with mingw and cygwin things with
cygwin :-)

YC

* Re: problem with make-3.81
@ 2009-02-27 14:04 ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2009-02-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-02-27 13:54 ycollet
From: ycollet @ 2009-02-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> I was trying to compile project from coin-or (http://www.coin-or.org)
using
>> the cygwin tools and I found a problem:
>> .deps/ClpCholeskyBase.Plo:1: *** multiple target patterns. (and several
>> other error messages from this kind)
>>
>> So I searched in google some hints and found that this is a "well know"
>> problem. It seems that make 3.81 has some difficulties to handle
"automatic
>> header file dependencies".

>  No, not exactly.  Make handles automatic header file dependencies
absolutely
>fine, but the one thing it doesn't understand is DOS-style paths that
begin
>with a drive letter and colon.  So if you're using a non-cygwin compiler
that
>outputs the wrong kind of file paths, make won't understand them.

You're totally right. I use -mno-cygwin with gcc. My misunderstanding comes
from the fact that when you search for a solution to this problem on
google, it's always make fault.

>> PS: I added the comment made on the coin-or website related to this
problem
>> with reference to the bug description (see the 2006 year ...).

>  That's not helpful, because you misunderstood and your comment is
incorrect
>and misleading.  The real problem (I can tell without even looking at the
site
>or anything else) is that you are using the cygwin compiler's
"-mno-cygwin"
>option, which in fact turns it into a MinGW compiler, using DOS-based file
>paths.  If you want make to understand MinGW paths generated by a MinGW
>compiler, you should use a MinGW make, not a Cygwin make.

Is there any mingw make shipped with cygwin ? I can't find one in my
current installation ...

Thanks a lot,

YC