* Re: [RFU 1.5 and 1.7] subversion-1.6.5-1 and -2
       [not found] <750902cbf527b38d6d740f2e6f8b18c6@tp.myfqdn.de>
@ 2009-09-08 14:32 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-09-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Plank, cygwin

On 9/7/2009 1:41 PM, Thomas Plank wrote:
> Hi David,

Hi Thomas. I'm sending the reply to the cygwin mailing list, too, so
others may benefit. Please follow up there.

> on http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin-apps@cygwin.com/msg22439.html I saw
> your mails concerning newer versions of subversion.
>
> For me it seems that you have compiled it on your own.
> Did it work for you out of the box?

I apply about 13 patches to the upstream sources to create the package
for Cygwin.

> Since 1.6.0 I am not able to get a new svn version compiled under cygwin,
> there are a lof of undefined references with socket.h
>
> Maybe you can give me a hint.
> Thanks in advance and hopefully I am not annoying.

My first hint is to use the binary packages I provide for Cygwin instead
of compiling it yourself. The latest version is packaged. If you want to
compile it yourself, I suggest downloading the source package I provide
and following the directions in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/subversion*.README. The source package also has
all the patches I apply if you're only interested in that.

Yinkel, n.:
         A person who combs his hair over his bald spot, hoping no one
         will notice.
                 -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

* Re: [RFU 1.5 and 1.7] subversion-1.6.5-1 and -2
@ 2009-09-09 17:33   ` Thomas Plank
From: Thomas Plank @ 2009-09-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Rothenberger (daveroth@acm.org) wrote:

[subversion]
>> For me it seems that you have compiled it on your own.
>> Did it work for you out of the box?

> I apply about 13 patches to the upstream sources to create the package
> for Cygwin.

Horrible! What a pitty, 1.5.6 worked without any patches ...

> My first hint is to use the binary packages I provide for Cygwin instead
> of compiling it yourself.

Done.
Thanks for providing!

> If you want to
> compile it yourself, I suggest downloading the source package I provide
> and following the directions in
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/subversion*.README. The source package also has
> all the patches I apply if you're only interested in that.

I don't feel like doing that work for now.
By the way: is it Cygwins's fault or have they (subversion's programmers)
changed so much in relation to socket.h (?winsock2.h?)?

Thanks for the reply,
Thomas

* Re: [RFU 1.5 and 1.7] subversion-1.6.5-1 and -2
@ 2009-09-09 19:50     ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-09-09 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/9/2009 10:33 AM, Thomas Plank wrote:
> David Rothenberger (daveroth@acm.org) wrote:
>
> [subversion]
>>> For me it seems that you have compiled it on your own.
>>> Did it work for you out of the box?
>
>> I apply about 13 patches to the upstream sources to create the package
>> for Cygwin.
>
> Horrible! What a pitty, 1.5.6 worked without any patches ...

I applied about as many patches when building the 1.5.6 packages. The
most important patch is to get the linking of the various DLLs to work
on Windows, which doesn't allow undefined symbols in DLLs like Linux.

> By the way: is it Cygwins's fault or have they (subversion's programmers)
> changed so much in relation to socket.h (?winsock2.h?)?

It looks like your build errors came from compiling APR from the
Subversion dependencies tarball. APR's configure looks for winsock2.h
for some reason and attempts to use the Windows socket APIs in addition
to Cygwin's. This is what causes your errors when building APR.

Cygwin has a separate APR package (which I also maintain) and the
subversion package links against that. I disable the detection of
winsock2.h (and windows.h) when building the Cygwin APR packages.

QOTD:
         "I'll listen to reason when it comes out on CD."