* Re: Reading what should not!
@ 2009-09-14  8:29 Angelo Graziosi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-09-14  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> This is new behavior with 1.7 and it's there to mimic what one sees in
> Linux.  I can't reproduce your reported results in Fedora 8.  For me, if I
> am 'root', I can see the contents of 'foo.txt' just fine with the permissions
> you have set on it.

I do not know how Fedora works, but on Kubuntu the user created when
installing the SO is also 'root': one need only to use 'sudo...'. After
typing the password it 'remains active'  for about 15 minute. This mean
that if I use 'sudo less foo.txt' when that pass. is active I do not
need to retype it, and, as 'root', I can read that file. But if I open a
new shell, in which the passwd is not yet 'active', trying 'sudo
less...' asks for the passwd, which looks right to me.

Why 'root' should read, for example, private mails of the other simple
users of that PC?

Cheers,
Angelo.

* Re: Reading what should not!
@ 2009-09-14 16:20 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-09-14 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Mark J. Reed wrote:
> Administrative users on Windows are
> treated as equivalent to root by Cygwin.

I know that.

> If you're saying that admin users should have to use sudo or
> equivalent to gain elevated access in Cygwin, then that's a feature
> request.  Does it match what Windows does?  Outside of UAC in Vista
> I'm unaware of Administrators having to do anything to activate their
> privileges.

I never said that.

Cheers,
Angelo.

* Re: Reading what should not!
@ 2009-09-14 14:26 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-09-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Mark J. Reed wrote:
> That makes no sense.  "sudo" means "run as root".  If you're already
> root, there's no need for sudo, and most systems don't even allow root
> to run the sudo command.

I do not mean that 'root' need 'sudo'.

> It sounds to me like your Fedora

I do not have Fedora but Kubuntu (8.04 and 9.04). On Kubuntu the user
created in the installation step, say 'pippo', is also 'root' in the
sense that 'pippo' needs 'sudo' (or 'sudo su') for administrative usage.

Cheers,
Angelo.

* Reading what should not!
@ 2009-09-13 14:05 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-09-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Just a curiosity... (I have seen th following on Cygwin-1.7, but perhaps
it happens also on 1.5)

Suppose that there are two users: the administrator (root) and a simple
user (pippo). Suppose that 'pippo' has a file 'foo.txt' with permissions:

rw-------

Why 'root' can read 'foo.txt'? For example with

root@PC~
$ less /home/pippo/foo.txt

On GNU/Linux, the same command (or with 'sudo') asks for pippo's
password! (Which looks right to me)

Trying to read the same file as 'root', but with Windows applications
(Notepad, for example), fails: one gets 'Access denied' (also if foo.txt
is copied in the 'root' HOME or /tmp, as pippo's file rw-------). Even
this looks right to me...

Cheers,
Angelo.