* subversion hangs on svn up using 1.6.4 & 1.6.5
@ 2009-09-13 20:46 John Bito
From: John Bito @ 2009-09-13 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem, as svn up produces no
output and svn admin recover says:

svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '10'

I imagine that the format 10 indicates that the repository is corrupt.
 Do you have any suggestions for repairing it?

There's some possibility that subclipse was what created this working
copy, though I was pretty sure I used Cygwin SVN to update it most
recently.  I tried svn up with Cygwin SVN 1.6.4 and then upgraded to
Cygwin SVN 1.6.5, both hang with no output.  Then I tried svnadmin
recover .svn which gives the message above.

If there's not a clear path to repairing my working copy, do you know
of any guidance for moving work from a broken working copy to a new
checkout so that svn up will merge changes/flag conflicts?

Thanks!

* Re: subversion hangs on svn up using 1.6.4 & 1.6.5
@ 2009-09-14 15:19 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2009-09-14 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/13/2009 1:46 PM, John Bito wrote:
> I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem, as svn up produces no
> output and svn admin recover says:
>
> svnadmin: Expected repository format '3' or '5'; found format '10'
>
> I imagine that the format 10 indicates that the repository is corrupt.
>  Do you have any suggestions for repairing it?

"svnadmin recover" is for recovering a repository, not a working copy.
Which are you trying to do?

> There's some possibility that subclipse was what created this working
> copy, though I was pretty sure I used Cygwin SVN to update it most
> recently.  I tried svn up with Cygwin SVN 1.6.4 and then upgraded to
> Cygwin SVN 1.6.5, both hang with no output.  Then I tried svnadmin
> recover .svn which gives the message above.

What does "svn st" say?

I use "svn up" against an http repository all the time. Also, both
releases of SVN passed the test suite, which runs against a local FSFS
and BDB repository, as well as svn:// and http:// repositories.

> If there's not a clear path to repairing my working copy, do you know
> of any guidance for moving work from a broken working copy to a new
> checkout so that svn up will merge changes/flag conflicts?

I usually fix this by replacing all the .svn directories in my working
copy. I use commands like the following. Note, this is from memory, so
check them yourself before running.

% cd /my/working/copy
% find . -name .svn -prune -print0 | xargs -0 rm -fr
% cd /tmp
% svn co http://my/repository/path svn-tmp
% cd svn-tmp
% find . -name .svn -prune -print0 | \
   rsync -avri --files-from=- --from0 ./ /my/working/copy
% cd /my/working/copy
% rm -fr /tmp/svn-tmp
% svn status

I'll burn my books.