* Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-02 23:32 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-04-02 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I maintain a local repository of Cygwin (IOW I download to a local
directory and then install from there). I let others use my repository.
I want to make it such that OpenSSH and rxvt are installed by default
but when they run setup.exe and point it to my repository OpenSSH and
rxvt are set to skip by default. How do I change that.

(I would research this first myself but right now I can't. Sorry).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
They show you how detergents take out bloodstains. I think if you've got

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-02 23:46 ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-02 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/2/2010 6:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> I maintain a local repository of Cygwin (IOW I download to a local
> directory and then install from there). I let others use my repository.
> I want to make it such that OpenSSH and rxvt are installed by default
> but when they run setup.exe and point it to my repository OpenSSH and
> rxvt are set to skip by default. How do I change that.
>
> (I would research this first myself but right now I can't. Sorry).

Write a batch file which runs setup.exe using its command line options
to point to your repository, select the additional packages, and run
silently.  I did this with success using a full mirror hosted internally
at the company for which I work.  You should be able to do something
similar using your local repository; however, a full repository is nice
to have too. :-)

-Jeremy

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-03  3:12   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-04-03  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/02/2010 04:46 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 4/2/2010 6:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> I maintain a local repository of Cygwin (IOW I download to a local
>> directory and then install from there). I let others use my repository.
>> I want to make it such that OpenSSH and rxvt are installed by default
>> but when they run setup.exe and point it to my repository OpenSSH and
>> rxvt are set to skip by default. How do I change that.
>>
>> (I would research this first myself but right now I can't. Sorry).
>>
> Write a batch file which runs setup.exe using its command line options
> to point to your repository, select the additional packages, and run
> silently.  I did this with success using a full mirror hosted internally
> at the company for which I work.  You should be able to do something
> similar using your local repository; however, a full repository is nice
> to have too. :-)

That might be doable (What command line options would I need?) however
the people at work are a lot more point and clickly if you know what I
mean. I would think it should be possible to simply toggle on something
to say "Install this by default". I need to do some more research I
guess but if anybody has the answer handy...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it.

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-03  4:28     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-04-03  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/2/2010 11:11 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> On 04/02/2010 04:46 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> On 4/2/2010 6:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> I maintain a local repository of Cygwin (IOW I download to a local
>>> directory and then install from there). I let others use my repository.
>>> I want to make it such that OpenSSH and rxvt are installed by default
>>> but when they run setup.exe and point it to my repository OpenSSH and
>>> rxvt are set to skip by default. How do I change that.
>>>
>>> (I would research this first myself but right now I can't. Sorry).
>> Write a batch file which runs setup.exe using its command line options
>> to point to your repository, select the additional packages, and run
>> silently. I did this with success using a full mirror hosted internally
>> at the company for which I work. You should be able to do something
>> similar using your local repository; however, a full repository is nice
>> to have too. :-)
> That might be doable (What command line options would I need?) however
> the people at work are a lot more point and clickly if you know what I
> mean. I would think it should be possible to simply toggle on something
> to say "Install this by default". I need to do some more research I
> guess but if anybody has the answer handy...

'setup.exe' doesn't support the GUI you're supposing.  So it's the command
line option or PTC. ;-)  I would think a batch file that one can point and
click on would satisfy the "point and clicky" crowd but I'm sure you
understand your users better than I.

'setup.exe --help' at a command line will give you the list of possible
options.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-04-03  4:35       ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-04-03  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/02/2010 09:28 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> 'setup.exe' doesn't support the GUI you're supposing.
Huh? When I run setup.exe I get a GUI - one we all know and love!
> So it's the command line option or PTC. ;-)  I would think a batch
> file that one can point and click on would satisfy the "point and
> clicky" crowd but I'm sure you understand your users better than I.
>
> 'setup.exe --help' at a command line will give you the list of
> possible options.
I'll poke around at this when I get back to work. I don't run Windows at
home anymore (Well I do have a Win 7 install on a dual boot but this is
the weekend after all!).

And yes a .bat file that you double click would probably suffice however
there is something in the whole setup structure that make certain
packages install by default (e.g. bash.exe) and other packages come up
as "Skip" (i.e. OpenSSH). I'd like to toggle it on for OpenSSH and rxvt
such that when setup.exe runs and they get to the package selection
screen, it says the version number for these and will install them by
default (IOW it won't list them as "Skip"). Is that too much to ask?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If you can survive death, you can probably survive anything.

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-03  4:48         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-04-03  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/3/2010 12:34 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 04/02/2010 09:28 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> 'setup.exe' doesn't support the GUI you're supposing.
> Huh? When I run setup.exe I get a GUI - one we all know and love!
>> So it's the command line option or PTC. ;-) I would think a batch file
>> that one can point and click on would satisfy the "point and clicky"
>> crowd but I'm sure you understand your users better than I.
>>
>> 'setup.exe --help' at a command line will give you the list of
>> possible options.
> I'll poke around at this when I get back to work. I don't run Windows at
> home anymore (Well I do have a Win 7 install on a dual boot but this is
> the weekend after all!).

Indeed!  FWIW, 'setup.exe' did run under Wine in Linux the last time I
tried it.  It's been a little while since I tried that, so things may
have changed.  And that's only possibly helpful if you have access to
Linux at home. ;-)

> And yes a .bat file that you double click would probably suffice however
> there is something in the whole setup structure that make certain
> packages install by default (e.g. bash.exe) and other packages come up
> as "Skip" (i.e. OpenSSH). I'd like to toggle it on for OpenSSH and rxvt
> such that when setup.exe runs and they get to the package selection
> screen, it says the version number for these and will install them by
> default (IOW it won't list them as "Skip"). Is that too much to ask?

One can always ask.

If you don't mind fiddling around with the setup.ini file, then the key
thing is to edit this file and change the category of the desired packages
to "Base".

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-04-03  5:20           ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-03  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 4/3/2010 12:34 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 04/02/2010 09:28 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> And yes a .bat file that you double click would probably suffice however
>> there is something in the whole setup structure that make certain
>> packages install by default (e.g. bash.exe) and other packages come up
>> as "Skip" (i.e. OpenSSH). I'd like to toggle it on for OpenSSH and rxvt
>> such that when setup.exe runs and they get to the package selection
>> screen, it says the version number for these and will install them by
>> default (IOW it won't list them as "Skip"). Is that too much to ask?
>
> One can always ask.
>
> If you don't mind fiddling around with the setup.ini file, then the key
> thing is to edit this file and change the category of the desired packages
> to "Base".

There's no need to edit setup.ini.  Just use the -P option and name the
packages you want to install in a comma separated list.  The packages
you list, those packages' dependencies, and all of the base packages
will be installed.

It gets even better once you look through the other command line options
listed with --help because you can automate installation selections to
the point that the users don't have to do anything more than run your
batch file.  They won't have to interact with any of setup.exe directly.
 The only thing they will see is the window showing the package
installation progress which they can cancel if they choose.

-Jeremy

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-03  5:34             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2010-04-03  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/02/2010 10:19 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> If you don't mind fiddling around with the setup.ini file, then the key
>> thing is to edit this file and change the category of the desired packages
>> to "Base".

I did look (quickly) into setup.ini to see if there was an obvious thing
to do. It was not apparent to me that that thing was to change category
to "Base"
> There's no need to edit setup.ini.  Just use the -P option and name the
> packages you want to install in a comma separated list.  The packages
> you list, those packages' dependencies, and all of the base packages
> will be installed.
>
> It gets even better once you look through the other command line options
> listed with --help because you can automate installation selections to
> the point that the users don't have to do anything more than run your
> batch file.  They won't have to interact with any of setup.exe directly.
>   The only thing they will see is the window showing the package
> installation progress which they can cancel if they choose.

A "silent" install might be cool but I can also see that it would be
useful to allow to user to browse though some of the optional packages.
For example, while maybe not everybody would want gcc and make, some
may. Or perhaps they want Perl or Apache. However I want to make sure
that ssh is installed (it'd be nice if I could automate the running
ssh-host-config, for example) so that I can ssh into their machine to
fix things.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why is bra singular and panties plural?

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-03  5:51               ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-03  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 04/02/2010 10:19 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> It gets even better once you look through the other command line options
>> listed with --help because you can automate installation selections to
>> the point that the users don't have to do anything more than run your
>> batch file.  They won't have to interact with any of setup.exe directly.
>>   The only thing they will see is the window showing the package
>> installation progress which they can cancel if they choose.
>>
> A "silent" install might be cool but I can also see that it would be
> useful to allow to user to browse though some of the optional packages.
> For example, while maybe not everybody would want gcc and make, some
> may. Or perhaps they want Perl or Apache. However I want to make sure
> that ssh is installed (it'd be nice if I could automate the running
> ssh-host-config, for example) so that I can ssh into their machine to
> fix things.

I think that if you leave off the silent install option that your other
selections set by command line options are respected in the UI, so the
extra packages you select will show as selected by default once the user
arrives at the package selection page.  Unfortunately, you have to trust
your users to correctly hit the Next button on every page without
changing anything until they get to the package selection page.  Whether
or not that trust is warranted is between you and your users. ;-)

The batch file I wrote for work actually includes a bash shell at the
end of it for post-install actions.  After the actual batch logic, you
can run the goto :eof command to jump the batch to the end of the file
past the bash scripting.  It looks something like this:

@echo off
rem This batch file installs Cygwin with extra packages.
rem It then runs some post-install logic written for bash
rem which is simply appended to the end of this script.

setup.exe -P pkg1,pkg2,... <more_options>

C:\cygwin\bin\sed "0,/^BASH SCRIPT BEGINS/ d" <%0 | C:\cygwin\bin\bash

goto :eof

BASH SCRIPT BEGINS
echo 'Starting post-install actions...'
# This is the end of both the bash script and the batch file!

I may be foggy on some details, but hopefully, you get the idea. :-)
The only requirement is that the user drop setup.exe into some directory
next to this batch file.  You could even get clever and have the batch
file tell them where to get setup.exe in case they run the batch file
without first downloading setup.exe.  I should probably do that for *my*
script...

-Jeremy

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-04 16:35                 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2010-04-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/04/2010 06:51, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:

>> A "silent" install might be cool but I can also see that it would be
>> useful to allow to user to browse though some of the optional packages.
>> For example, while maybe not everybody would want gcc and make, some
>> may. Or perhaps they want Perl or Apache. However I want to make sure
>> that ssh is installed (it'd be nice if I could automate the running
>> ssh-host-config, for example) so that I can ssh into their machine to
>> fix things.
>
> I think that if you leave off the silent install option that your other
> selections set by command line options are respected in the UI, so the
> extra packages you select will show as selected by default once the user
> arrives at the package selection page.  Unfortunately, you have to trust
> your users to correctly hit the Next button on every page without
> changing anything until they get to the package selection page.  Whether
> or not that trust is warranted is between you and your users. ;-)

  Sounds like you want the shiny new -M/--package-manager option.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-04 19:38                   ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 03/04/2010 06:51, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
>> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>>> A "silent" install might be cool but I can also see that it would be
>>> useful to allow to user to browse though some of the optional packages.
>>> For example, while maybe not everybody would want gcc and make, some
>>> may. Or perhaps they want Perl or Apache. However I want to make sure
>>> that ssh is installed (it'd be nice if I could automate the running
>>> ssh-host-config, for example) so that I can ssh into their machine to
>>> fix things.
>> I think that if you leave off the silent install option that your other
>> selections set by command line options are respected in the UI, so the
>> extra packages you select will show as selected by default once the user
>> arrives at the package selection page.  Unfortunately, you have to trust
>> your users to correctly hit the Next button on every page without
>> changing anything until they get to the package selection page.  Whether
>> or not that trust is warranted is between you and your users. ;-)
>
>   Sounds like you want the shiny new -M/--package-manager option.

Nice!  I must have overlooked that option when I created my silent
install batch file.  My users aren't clamoring for additional package
selection yet, but if they ever do, it will be great to have this feature.

-Jeremy

* WTF & NEW acronyms Was: Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-04 21:26       ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2010-04-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Defaria spake:
>> the people at work are a lot more point and clickly if you know what I
>> mean.
These get my vote:

PACy -- point and clicky

  OR: GUIPy -- GUI prone

Sy -- scripty (gnuish?)

  OR: CLIO -- Command line-oriented

WWNN -- "if you know what I mean" OR "wink, wink, nudge, nudge"

Age old battle?:

PvSy -- PACy vs. Sy ;-)

Is anyone maintaining WTF?

Would anyone object to my changing the nature of WTF, so that it
automatically updates it's database from the OLOCA web page? (in Perl)
Rather than requiring a re-release each time the DB changes.

Or,

MITMDTPTP (which I thought was supposed to be added; 1st semi-spake by CGF)

* Re: WTF & NEW acronyms Was: Re: Making package installation default
@ 2010-04-04 22:25         ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2010-04-04 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Lee,

> Is anyone maintaining WTF?

That would be me, but...

> Would anyone object to my changing the nature of WTF, so that it
> automatically updates it's database from the OLOCA web page? (in Perl)
> Rather than requiring a re-release each time the DB changes.

If you would like to take it over and update it accordingly, I'd
happily give it up.

Cheers!

Chris

--