* Where's my home? (lost in my domain)
@ 2010-08-04  8:23 Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2010-08-04  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I log in, I seem to be placed in

/Users/law.Bliss>

IF I type "cd" and hit return, then I'm in

//Bliss/law

My home vars:

//Bliss/law> printenv|grep HOME
HOMEPATH=\
HOME=//Bliss/law
HOMEDRIVE=i:
HOMESHARE=\\BLISS\law

My /etc/password, for user "Bliss\law" (why "\" and not "/"?)
has //Bliss/law as a home dir as setup sometime in the past
when mkpasswd was working (ahh...those were the days... :-))...

I'm not sure why it wouldn't have specified my HOME as i:/ . (?)

But I don't see where it got /users/law.Bliss -- though it is
the temporary cache.  If windows/the login process was smart, then
I could see /users/law.Bliss being my HOME if the network server
wasn't available.  But it is, and I don't think windows is that
dynamic.

So how does what decide if my HOME gets set to //bliss/law, i:/
or [C:]/Users

* Re: Where's my home? (lost in my domain)
@ 2010-08-04 15:58 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-08-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2010 4:22 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> When I log in, I seem to be placed in
>
> /Users/law.Bliss>
>
> IF I type "cd" and hit return, then I'm in
>
> //Bliss/law
>
> My home vars:
>
> //Bliss/law>  printenv|grep HOME
> HOMEPATH=\
> HOME=//Bliss/law
> HOMEDRIVE=i:
> HOMESHARE=\\BLISS\law
>
> My /etc/password, for user "Bliss\law" (why "\" and not "/"?)

Ask Microsoft.  It's their convention.

> has //Bliss/law as a home dir as setup sometime in the past
> when mkpasswd was working (ahh...those were the days... :-))...

'mkpasswd' works.  If you have an issue that you believe isn't just
local to your machine/environment/setup, please report it.

> I'm not sure why it wouldn't have specified my HOME as i:/ . (?)

First, Cygwin doesn't use drive syntax.  Second, the order of preference
for setting the home directory in Cygwin is, as spelled out in /etc/profile:

# Here is how HOME is set, in order of priority, when starting from Windows
#  1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a Posix path
#  2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory field
#  3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
#  4) / (root)

> But I don't see where it got /users/law.Bliss -- though it is
> the temporary cache.  If windows/the login process was smart, then
> I could see /users/law.Bliss being my HOME if the network server
> wasn't available.  But it is, and I don't think windows is that
> dynamic.
>
> So how does what decide if my HOME gets set to //bliss/law, i:/
> or [C:]/Users

I'd recommend getting a good feel for what Windows is setting your
home directory to and, given the above information (and mining other
tidbits from the email archives as required), use all of this to
figure out why you're not seeing what you want to see and how you
should change things to reach your goal.  Assuming Windows isn't
tripping you up somehow, the procedure I quoted above that Cygwin
uses to determine what it will use as your home directory is very
straight-forward.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-08-16 18:40   ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2010-08-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 4:22 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> When I log in, I seem to be placed in "/Users/law.Bliss".
>>
>> IF I type "cd" and hit return, then I'm in "//Bliss/law".
In other words, the value of HOME is....

>> [My home vars:]
>> HOME='//Bliss/law'
>> HOMEPATH='\'    HOMEDRIVE='i'   HOMESHARE='\\BLISS\law'
>>
>> My /etc/password for user "Bliss\law" (why "\" and not "/"?)
>> has "//Bliss/law".
>
> Ask Microsoft.  It's their convention.
=== (side question)
  Cygwin doesn't generally follow Microsoft conventions for pathnames.
  It substitutes forward-slash for backslash.  Since my
  user ID is a path of the form <host|domain>[SEP]<user>, out of
  idle curiosity, I wondered why foward slash wasn't also used
  in user pathnames as it was for file pathnames.  Not really
  my central question,
but I completely missed emphasizing it, so let me retry:

Wwhen I start a cygwin window (what I lazily called
'logged in'), I am placed in "/Users/law.Bliss" (on drive C).

Nothing in my home variables or /etc/passwd file mentions
/Users/law.Bliss.  I.e. when I press "cd" and hit return, it
uses the value of HOME (as properly derived via step 2 as
mentioned in /etc/profile) to place me in "//Bliss/law".

So why am I   *starting out*  in /Users/law.Bliss when it
isn't mentioned anywhere?

Linda

  (That was my main question. Sometimes, in describing a problem,
  I ask too many side questions and forget to emphasize the actual
  question I was writing about...at least it was my 1st line!
  *sigh*)