* Odd apparent cursor movement in mintty (+emacs)
@ 2010-09-22 10:11 Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-09-22 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In some file^H^H^H^Hbuffer in emacs(-nox), with mintty maximised, cursor
movement appears incorrect - moving the cursor forward[1] (emacs'
forward-char via C-f / cursor right key) incorrectly positions the
visible cursor 'n' characters forward. The insertion position is
correct, however - it only moves one character forward.

emacsclient 23.2, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, if it makes any difference.

[1] backward, too, but up and down seem unaffected

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.
Non-kook (allegedly)

1.7.7(0.230/5/3) 2010-08-31 09:58 Cygwin

* Re: Odd apparent cursor movement in mintty (+emacs)
@ 2010-09-22 11:16 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2010-09-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22.09.2010 09:25, Gary wrote:
> In some file^H^H^H^Hbuffer in emacs(-nox), with mintty maximised, cursor
> movement appears incorrect - moving the cursor forward[1] (emacs'
> forward-char via C-f / cursor right key) incorrectly positions the
> visible cursor 'n' characters forward. The insertion position is
> correct, however - it only moves one character forward.
>
> emacsclient 23.2, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, if it makes any difference.
>
> [1] backward, too, but up and down seem unaffected

Do you have any non-ASCII characters on the affected lines? If so, it
sounds like a mismatch of character encoding between mintty and emacs'
assumption. What's your locale environment variables?

* Re: Odd apparent cursor movement in mintty (+emacs)
@ 2010-09-22 11:17   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-09-22 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thomas Wolff wrote:
> On 22.09.2010 09:25, Gary wrote:
>> In some file^H^H^H^Hbuffer in emacs(-nox), with mintty maximised, cursor
>> movement appears incorrect - moving the cursor forward[1] (emacs'
>> forward-char via C-f / cursor right key) incorrectly positions the
>> visible cursor 'n' characters forward. The insertion position is
>> correct, however - it only moves one character forward.
>>
>> emacsclient 23.2, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, if it makes any difference.
>>
>> [1] backward, too, but up and down seem unaffected
>>

> Do you have any non-ASCII characters on the affected lines? If so, it
> sounds like a mismatch of character encoding between mintty and emacs'
> assumption. What's your locale environment variables?

In that case wouldn't it also happen when mintty was not maximised? It
doesn't.

--

@ 2010-09-22 12:42 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2010-09-22 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/22/2010 3:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> In some file^H^H^H^Hbuffer in emacs(-nox), with mintty maximised, cursor
> movement appears incorrect - moving the cursor forward[1] (emacs'
> forward-char via C-f / cursor right key) incorrectly positions the
> visible cursor 'n' characters forward. The insertion position is
> correct, however - it only moves one character forward.

Can you give a precise recipe (as simple as possible) for reproducing
this problem?  I just started emacs in a maximized mintty window and had
no problem with cursor movement.

Ken

* Re: Odd apparent cursor movement in mintty (+emacs)
@ 2010-09-22 12:50     ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-09-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22 September 2010 08:58, Gary wrote:
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> On 22.09.2010 09:25, Gary wrote:
>>> In some file^H^H^H^Hbuffer in emacs(-nox), with mintty maximised, cursor
>>> movement appears incorrect - moving the cursor forward[1] (emacs'
>>> forward-char via C-f / cursor right key) incorrectly positions the
>>> visible cursor 'n' characters forward. The insertion position is
>>> correct, however - it only moves one character forward.
>>>
>>> emacsclient 23.2, GNU Emacs 23.2.1, if it makes any difference.
>>>
>>> [1] backward, too, but up and down seem unaffected
>>>

>> Do you have any non-ASCII characters on the affected lines? If so, it
>> sounds like a mismatch of character encoding between mintty and emacs'
>> assumption. What's your locale environment variables?
>
> In that case wouldn't it also happen when mintty was not maximised?

Quoting Simon Tatham yet again: "In bug reports, try to make very
clear what are actual facts and what are speculations. Leave out
speculations if you want to, but don't leave out facts."

So please do answer Thomas' questions. If possible, attach the file
that shows the problem.

Andy