* failing to clone a git repo via ssh
@ 2011-01-23 19:27 Rafael Kitover
From: Rafael Kitover @ 2011-01-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This repo clones fine in msysgit and on linux over ssh, but on cygwin
this is what happens:

$ git clone dbsrgits@git.shadowcat.co.uk:DBIx-Class.git dbic
Cloning into dbic...
Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
remote: Counting objects: 43957, done.
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly6 MiB | 384 KiB/s
fatal: early EOFs:  89% (39122/43957), 5.64 MiB | 402 KiB/s
fatal: index-pack failed

The git:// URL works fine
(git://git.shadowcat.co.uk/dbsrgits/DBIx-Class.git).

Come to #dbix-class on irc.perl.org if you want me to add your ssh key
added, or attach it here...

* Re: failing to clone a git repo via ssh
@ 2011-01-23 19:37 ` Rafael Kitover
From: Rafael Kitover @ 2011-01-23 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: David Sastre

I just realized this bug is replicatable without having ssh access to
our repo, you just need the cygwin sshd enabled, and the guy with access
to the gitosis went off somewhere anyway...

Here are the steps:

cd ~
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
git clone git://git.shadowcat.co.uk/dbsrgits/DBIx-Class.git dbic_git_url
git clone `whoami`@localhost:tmp/dbic_git_url dbic_ssh

@ 2011-01-23 21:48   ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-01-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/23/2011 06:21 AM, Rafael Kitover wrote:
> I just realized this bug is replicatable without having ssh access to
> our repo, you just need the cygwin sshd enabled, and the guy with access
> to the gitosis went off somewhere anyway...
>
> Here are the steps:
>
> cd ~
> mkdir tmp
> cd tmp
> git clone git://git.shadowcat.co.uk/dbsrgits/DBIx-Class.git dbic_git_url
> git clone `whoami`@localhost:tmp/dbic_git_url dbic_ssh

Sadly, the early EOFs problem is an identified but unfixed issue:

Since my last report in that thread, I did try a few other configurations:

* msysGit with msysGit's ssh
* msysGit with Cygwin's ssh
* Cygwin's git with msysGit's ssh

All of these combinations avoided the early EOFs problem no matter how
many times I repeated my testing.  As cgf said, this does appear to be a
problem in Cygwin's pipe code, but it's very strange that it only seems
to be triggered with Cygwin's git + Cygwin's ssh.  My guess is that
there is some kind of race condition in the pipe setup code when both
ends of the pipe are Cygwin processes, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar
with Cygwin's pipe code.

-Jeremy

* Re: failing to clone a git repo via ssh
@ 2011-01-23 23:00     ` Steven Hartland
From: Steven Hartland @ 2011-01-23 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bopp, cygwin

> All of these combinations avoided the early EOFs problem no matter how
> many times I repeated my testing.  As cgf said, this does appear to be a
> problem in Cygwin's pipe code, but it's very strange that it only seems
> to be triggered with Cygwin's git + Cygwin's ssh.  My guess is that
> there is some kind of race condition in the pipe setup code when both
> ends of the pipe are Cygwin processes, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar
> with Cygwin's pipe code.

Possibly the same issue which still plagues rsync under cygwin?

    Regards
    Steve

* Re: failing to clone a git repo via ssh
@ 2011-01-23 23:12       ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2011-01-23 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/23/2011 01:37 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Bopp" <jeremy@bopp.net>
>> All of these combinations avoided the early EOFs problem no matter how
>> many times I repeated my testing.  As cgf said, this does appear to be a
>> problem in Cygwin's pipe code, but it's very strange that it only seems
>> to be triggered with Cygwin's git + Cygwin's ssh.  My guess is that
>> there is some kind of race condition in the pipe setup code when both
>> ends of the pipe are Cygwin processes, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar
>> with Cygwin's pipe code.
>
> Possibly the same issue which still plagues rsync under cygwin?

I've thought the same thing myself, but I don't have any test cases for
that and haven't experienced the problem directly.  As I recall, the
rsync case manifests as a hang which seems a bit different than this
case of unexpected EOFs.  It's possible that it could be rsync's
reaction to the unexpected EOF could mask it as a hang, I suppose.

-Jeremy