* cvs server setup
@ 2011-01-25 12:49 Hans Horn
From: Hans Horn @ 2011-01-25 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Folks,

can anybody point me to some current doc on how to setup a cvs server
under cygwin?

The info I was able to find on the web dated back to the early 2000s
suggesting:

1. add line to /etc/inetd.conf:

cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /bin/cvs cvs -f --allow-root=/cvs/root
pserver

with /cvs/root being the cvs root dir.

2. add line to /etc/services:

cvspserver       2401/tcp                           #CVS server

3. run:

inetd --install-as-service
cygrunsrv -S inetd

an attempt to have a cvs client connect to the cvs server failed with a
message in /var/inetd.log:

someone wants cvspserver
accept, ctrl 3
+ Closing from 13
7264 execl /bin/cvs
7264 reaped, status 0x100

thx. a bunch,
H.

* Re: cvs server setup
@ 2011-01-25 13:50 ` David Billinghurst
From: David Billinghurst @ 2011-01-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/01/2011 5:57 PM, Hans Horn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> can anybody point me to some current doc on how to setup a cvs server
> under cygwin?

I run an sshd server under cygwin and access cvs using ssh.  This was
easy to do --- once I read the documentation.  This provides remote
access for file transfer (scp and rsync), other source code control
systems (svn and hg), etc with a single service and firewall rule.

* Re: cvs server setup
@ 2011-01-25 19:06   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-01-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/25/2011 2:04 AM, David Billinghurst wrote:
> On 25/01/2011 5:57 PM, Hans Horn wrote:
>> can anybody point me to some current doc on how to setup a cvs server
>> under cygwin?
>
> I run an sshd server under cygwin and access cvs using ssh.  This was
> easy to do --- once I read the documentation.  This provides remote
> access for file transfer (scp and rsync), other source code control
> systems (svn and hg), etc with a single service and firewall rule.

Yes, using the cvs pserver is not really supported on cygwin.  There
have been sporadic reports that it works (and that it doesn't) -- but
you're basically on your own (but try this:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/server/cvsserver.html ).

It's both more secure and easier to just set up an ssh server, and use
the :ext: protocol instead.

--
Chuck
cygwin cvs maintainer