* cd slows down on local drive when another network drive gets connected
@ 2011-02-06 21:18 Paul Maier
From: Paul Maier @ 2011-02-06 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

can I do some setting to work around this immense slow down?

Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely down when I connect another
drive letter to a network drive.

Look at how I took the time:

Example 1:
Drive Q: is connected to a network drive, connection is via a slow VPN mobile phone (GPRS) line.
All the example below is only on local hard disk drive C:\.
The slow drive Q: is not involved, but it's presence slows down any cd command on local drive C:.
My $PATH does involve ".", some paths on C:, but nothing on Q:.
Shell is tcsh.
The cd command on the local drive C: takes 5.8 seconds (!) to complete:

/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>mkdir x
/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>l
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Test2 mkgroup 0 05.02.2011 20.39 x/
/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>time cd x
0.015u 0.046s 0:05.80 0.8%      0+0k 0+0io 1203pf+0w

Example 2:
Same situation, but now Q: is disconnected.
The cd command on the local drive C: now completes in 0.01 seconds:

/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>mkdir x
/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>l
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Test2 mkgroup 0 06.02.2011 00.16 x/
/cygdrive/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Test2/Desktop/cy>time cd x
0.015u 0.000s 0:00.01 100.0%    0+0k 0+0io 1253pf+0w

I am running cygwin-1.7.7-1 (downloaded 2010-11-02) on a Windows XP SP 3.

Does anybody have an advice?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: cd slows down on local drive when another network drive gets connected
@ 2011-02-07  3:07 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-02-07  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/6/2011 4:17 PM, Paul Maier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can I do some setting to work around this immense slow down?
>
> Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely down when I connect
> another drive letter to a network drive.

Could it be a driver issue?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-02-07 17:33   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-02-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:07:12PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>On 2/6/2011 4:17 PM, Paul Maier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> can I do some setting to work around this immense slow down?
>>
>> Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely down when I connect
>> another drive letter to a network drive.
>
>Could it be a driver issue?

I guess that depends on whose driving.

cgf

* AW: cd slows down on local drive when another network drive gets connected
@ 2011-02-08  0:25   ` Paul Maier
From: Paul Maier @ 2011-02-08  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Larry,

thanks for having responded.

> > Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely
> down when I connect
> > another drive letter to a network drive.

> Could it be a driver issue?

Sorry, I am not experienced enough to answer your question.
I didn't know, that I need a driver to connect to a network drive.
All I do is to open the windows explorer and connect drive Q: to a
//server/path using the Windows explorer's menu.

It seems to me, that Cygwin does implicit somehow check the state
of all drives or something like that, every time the working dir changes.

So what can I do? Do you need some log or diagnostic output (how?).

Not only cd, but all xterm opning extremely slow down, as soon as a network
drive gets connected. This is really annoying.

Paul

* Re: AW: cd slows down on local drive when another network drive gets connected
@ 2011-02-08  4:21     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-02-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/7/2011 7:25 PM, Paul Maier wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> thanks for having responded.
>
>>> Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely
>> down when I connect
>>> another drive letter to a network drive.
>
>> Could it be a driver issue?
>
> Sorry, I am not experienced enough to answer your question.
> I didn't know, that I need a driver to connect to a network drive.
> All I do is to open the windows explorer and connect drive Q: to a
> //server/path using the Windows explorer's menu.

Sure but you have a mobile phone in the mix here, right?  You're relying
on some software to talk to the phone.  That's the driver.  So that's one
possibility.  And the one that seemed most likely to me if it's affecting
performance even when you're not accessing the drive with the phone.

How do things work when you do like operations using just plain Windows
utilities?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-02-08  4:22     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-02-08  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:07:12PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 2/6/2011 4:17 PM, Paul Maier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> can I do some setting to work around this immense slow down?
>>>
>>> Any cd command on local hard disk drive slows extremely down when I connect
>>> another drive letter to a network drive.
>>
>> Could it be a driver issue?
>
> I guess that depends on whose driving.

Ah, right.  Good point.  I've been stuck behind them on occasion.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

* AW: AW: cd slows down on local drive when another network drive gets connected
@ 2011-02-08 21:30       ` Paul Maier
From: Paul Maier @ 2011-02-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

> Sure but you have a mobile phone in the mix here, right?
> You're relying
> on some software to talk to the phone.  That's the driver.
> So that's one
> possibility.  And the one that seemed most likely to me if
> it's affecting
> performance even when you're not accessing the drive with the phone.
>
> How do things work when you do like operations using just
> plain Windows
> utilities?

When I use the Windows file explorer GUI:
Expanding the top level node ("Arbeitsplatz" = I think "My Computer" in English),
where all the drives are shown, takes a while.
But when I then navigate to some subdirectory on local drive C:,
that is quite quick, and the same speed with or without slow drive Q: connected or not.

When I use a MS-DOS command prompt ("cmd"):
When I navigate using Windows' "cd" to navigate through the subdirectories
on local drive C:, that is very quick, and the same speed with or without