* Re: Spurious "Connection reset by peer" problems anybody?
@ 2011-03-22 23:27 MS
From: MS @ 2011-03-22 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:43:52 Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> over the weekend I came across a description of a Windows socket problem
> which might affect some of us.  Fortunately I also came across the
> potential solution.
>
> My question is, does anybody have a scenario in which he or she
> encounters weird "Connection reset by peer" or "Software caused
> connection abort" messages in Cygwin, possibly at the end of a
> connection attempt?

Only just joined the list specifically to reply about this.

On Windows 7 running rsync over ssh to a UNIX server I am repeatedly
getting the "connection reset by peer" error, causing rsync to fail. The
error occurs regularly but at inconsistent intervals. In an attempt to
get around it I wrote a rsync retry script, but even setting the number
of retries the script makes for each of the half-dozen rsync commands to
10 does not guarantee success. I was beginning to look for another Win 7
rsync/ssh solution when I decided to check the mailing list archives.

Has there been progress with this over the last few weeks? Rsycing to
the same UNIX server from my Linux machine is always fine though that
enjoys significantly faster bandwidth than the Win 7 PC (although that
has a decent ADSL connection, note that the Win 7 PC is not using wireless).

Is there anything I can try to resolve this as a working
cygwin/rsync/ssh solution looks like my ideal scenario. Cygwin newbie,
but technically proficient software engineer.

Thanks,

..matthew

* Re: Spurious "Connection reset by peer" problems  anybody?
@ 2011-02-22 16:14 lynn
From: lynn @ 2011-02-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 There is a very good (and free) network simulator that allows you to
 set up dropped packets, delays and much more.
 We use it to model crappy coms for some of the stuff we do.

 Take a look at:   http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/

 Lynn

* Spurious "Connection reset by peer" problems anybody?
@ 2011-02-21 10:44 Corinna Vinschen
       [not found] ` <AANLkTimoBKaVBj9yOvLJunrtEV0tY+ruJG2bHV7moc9q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2011-02-21 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi listies,

over the weekend I came across a description of a Windows socket problem
which might affect some of us.  Fortunately I also came across the
potential solution.

My question is, does anybody have a scenario in which he or she
encounters weird "Connection reset by peer" or "Software caused
connection abort" messages in Cygwin, possibly at the end of a
connection attempt?

If so, I might have a solution for this problem.  The code exists, but
personally I don't have any such problem, so I can't test if it helps,
and I'm reluctant to apply this to Cygwin without need.

Therefore I need a guinea pig for this change.  Any takers?

Please note that this is *NOT* about the problems related to OpenSSH-5.8p1.
That's an upstream bug which is about ot be fixed soon, AFAICS.

Thanks in advance,
Corinna

Red Hat