On 4/24/11 9:39 AM, Christian Franke wrote: > On 2011-04-01, Christian Franke wrote: >> The attached patch for /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc sets a root >> prompt ('#' instead of '$' or '%') if the shell runs with admin rights >> (local or domain admin group). >> > > Any comment so far? Wrong list ? I like the idea, but your patch adds two subprocess invocations to the shell startup path. Each one takes ~200ms, and we can't afford to add any more. Instead of examining the group list, you can use something like local isadmin=0 [[ -w / ]] && isadmin=1 or local isadmin=0 [[ -w /cygdrive/c ]] && isadmin=1 Of course, that test assumes that only "administrators" can write to the drive root, and that's an imperfect proxy for administrative rights. You get the idea though: try to perform the test in pure bash code.