From: "Lee D. Rothstein" <l1ee057@veritech.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: file system name case insensitivity issue: Possible inclusion for the FAQ or User Manual?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 19:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 02:28:53PM -0400, Lee Rothstein wrote:
>> Issue: Possible confusing consequences of CYGWIN variable option:
>> glob:noignorecase
>>
>> What follows is an edited transcript of my confusion about trying
>> to find the command "xwin" (and eventual resolution), having
>> forgotten about its capitalization. More specifically, I was
>> trying to figure out if it was a binary or a script (not having
>> used X in the last year, or so).
>>
>> BTW, the reason I had glob:noignorecase set was to catch
>> capitalization errors on HTML file names I develop for a
>> LAMP server.
> Re: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
>
>    (no)glob[:ignorecase] - if set, command line arguments containing
>    UNIX-style file wildcard characters (brackets, question mark, asterisk,
>    escaped with \) are expanded into lists of files that match those
>    wildcards.  This is applicable only to programs running from a DOS
>    command line prompt.  Default is set.
>
> There was no DOS command line prompt in anything below.

True. So, you're saying that 'glob:noignorecase' had no effect on
the commands executed. Then the issue that the transcript reveals
is that in Cygwin, case sensitivity only affects filename specs
if globbing is used. That may, in fact, have been covered somewhere
in the documentation. (?) The transcript makes clear the dramatic
and confusing effects this can have.

But, then, I'm *sure* I'm /more/ easily confused than you. :-|, ;-)
Just like lots of other users.

I yink ergo I yam. -- P. Eye