* Can't start graphic menu in remote machine
@ 2011-07-19 12:06 Ciro
From: Ciro @ 2011-07-19 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've installed the new Gygwin set in my computer and I can't seem to start
any graphic interface, for instance:

(C)SUMFO$ xclock &
[1]     973
(C)SUMFO$ Xlib: connection to "xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0

[1] +  Done(1)                 xclock &

The DISPLAY variable is fine, I've enabled X11 forwarding:

ForwardX11 yes

but it's still failing, I've googled for this issue with cygwin but couldn't
find anything, any help would be appreciated

* Re: Can't start graphic menu in remote machine
@ 2011-07-19 15:25 ` Dima Pasechnik
From: Dima Pasechnik @ 2011-07-19 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19 July 2011 14:05, Ciro <ciro.vilchez@gft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the new Gygwin set in my computer and I can't seem to start
> any graphic interface, for instance:
>
> (C)SUMFO$ xclock &

are you saying that you  try running xclock on a remote machine?
How did you connect to it? Via ssh?
In this case you need an X11 server (e.g. Cygwin't one) running on the
(local) client.
When it is run, can you run any X11 programs, like xterm, locally?

> [1]     973
> (C)SUMFO$ Xlib: connection to "xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Error: Can't open display: xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0
>
> [1] +  Done(1)                 xclock &
>

> The DISPLAY variable is fine, I've enabled X11 forwarding:
>
> ForwardX11 yes
>
> but it's still failing, I've googled for this issue with cygwin but couldn't
> find anything, any help would be appreciated
> --
>

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Dmitrii Pasechnik
-----
DISCLAIMER: Any text following this sentence does not constitute a
part of this message, and was added automatically during transmission.

* Re: Can't start graphic menu in remote machine
@ 2011-07-19 16:22 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-07-19 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/19/2011 8:05 AM, Ciro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the new Gygwin set in my computer and I can't seem to start
> any graphic interface, for instance:
>
> (C)SUMFO$ xclock&
> [1]     973
> (C)SUMFO$ Xlib: connection to "xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified

Questions and issues with Cygwin-X should go to the cygwin-xfree list.
FWIW, the above sounds to me like you're not running a server or a
firewall issue.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-07-19 16:49   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2011-07-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: ciro.vilchez

On 19/07/2011 17:21, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 7/19/2011 8:05 AM, Ciro wrote:
>> I've installed the new Gygwin set in my computer and I can't seem to start
>> any graphic interface, for instance:
>>
>> (C)SUMFO$ xclock&
>> [1]     973
>> (C)SUMFO$ Xlib: connection to "xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Questions and issues with Cygwin-X should go to the cygwin-xfree list.
> FWIW, the above sounds to me like you're not running a server or a
> firewall issue.

If you are using X11 forwarding over ssh, you should not be setting DISPLAY

See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Can't start graphic menu in remote machine
@ 2011-07-20 11:19   ` Ciro
From: Ciro @ 2011-07-20 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Dima,

I'm running Cygwin/X, yes, I can run xterm or rxvt locally, in fact I could
run the graphic interface in the remote server until I installed the new
Cygwin/X. I'm not sur ewhat the problem could be.