* Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware
@ 2011-08-13 21:11 John Dzielski
From: John Dzielski @ 2011-08-13 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm posting again because I failed to provide an informative subject.
My apologies for the noise.

I have cygwin installed on a VMWare VM running Windows 7 on a Mac
running OSX 10.6.  This does not seem to be a problem with machines
running Windows 7 natively.  I am unable to get name resolution to work
with ssh.  The command ssh X returns the error "ssh: could not resolve
hostname X:  Non-recoverable failure in name resolution."  The command
nslookup X returns a valid IP address.  I found the link below, and
several others that reference the problem, but no solution.  Is there a
solution to this problem?

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-02/msg00230.html

I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that creates
variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve.
This solution doesn't work with svn working copies if the repository has
a dynamic address because the IP address of the repository at checkout
will be coded in the .svn/entries file.  If the IP address of the svn
server changes I'm won't be able to perform svn operations.

* Re: Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware
@ 2011-08-14  8:21 ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2011-08-14  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* John Dzielski (Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:11:03 -0400)
> I am unable to get name resolution to work with ssh. The command ssh X
> returns the error "ssh: could not resolve hostname X: Non-recoverable
> failure in name resolution." The command nslookup X returns a valid IP
> address.

Run a Wireshark trace when ssh fails and see if you actually have an
attempt for name resolution. I'd rather suspect UAC or the firewall.

> I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that creates
> variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve.

This is a weird idea. Use /etc/hosts for that.

Thorsten

* Re: Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware
@ 2011-08-14 13:36   ` John Dzielski
From: John Dzielski @ 2011-08-14 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Partial resolution:

I've found that the problem does not occur when using NAT for
networking.  Bridged mode is still a problem.  I've submitted a request
to VMware.  Nothing in their database.