From: Luke Kendall <luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: audit <audit-mail-disclaimer@cisra.canon.com.au>
Subject: Re: Cygwin package naming?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 9:43 PM, Luke Kendall wrote:
>> Can someone with some official Cygwin standing tell me how the Cygwin
>> package names correspond with the "official" names of the packages,
>> chosen
>> by the package owners? In other words, how are the Cygwin package names
>> determined? (My hope is that the "official" name is used, possibly with
>> "cygwin" added to it in some form.)
>
> Sorry, I have no badge and gun but perhaps I will do.
>
>> I'm asking because I'm finding Cygwin packages that contain no license
>> information, at least in the compiled form (e.g. gawk, libiconv2). So
>> I'm
>> thinking that in such cases, I can modify my Cygwin license-finding
>> script
>> to look up the package by name on freshmeat and try to find the
>> license from
>> there.
>>
>> But that is pointless if the Cygwin package name may have the same
>> name as a
>> freshmeat package, but is in fact some other software.
>
> How about <http://cygwin.com/setup.html>?

Thanks!  Yes, I think that should be enough (it certainly looks like a
public statement of Cygwin's package naming policy, so that's good
enough for me):

"Package file naming

Package naming scheme: use the vendor's version plus a release suffix
for ports of existing packages"

> Aside: I had to muster all my strength to keep from using the phrase "Use
> the source Luke!"  I expect you never tire of that. ;-)

Ah, yes, very true.  Not to mention when I eat with my fingers ("Use the
forks, Luke!").

Thanks, Larry!

luke