* Permission denied but have permission
@ 2011-09-21 14:20 Lou U
From: Lou U @ 2011-09-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer for
graphics software, Dislin.
$./setup.exe
bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied
Permissions for setup.exe are -rwxrwxrwx+
setup will run in a Windows Command window. I'm wondering if that "+" in the
permissions is a problem. If so, how do I circumvent it? Any help would be
appreciated.
Lou

* Re: Permission denied but have permission
@ 2011-09-21 16:06 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-09-21 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/20/2011 6:53 PM, Lou U wrote:

> I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer for
> graphics software, Dislin.
> $./setup.exe
> bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied
> Permissions for setup.exe are -rwxrwxrwx+
> setup will run in a Windows Command window. I'm wondering if that "+" in the
> permissions is a problem. If so, how do I circumvent it? Any help would be
> appreciated.

Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found at this
link: <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Also include in your report whether the program you're running is in a
local directory or a network one and, if the latter, a description of
the server and file system type.  Also, the results of 'getfacl ./setup.exe'
may be instructive.  The '+' in the 'ls -l' output indicates that there is
an ACL for the file with additional permissions.  'getfacl' will display
those permissions.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-09-22  5:36 ` BZTSilversleeves
From: BZTSilversleeves @ 2011-09-22  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lou U wrote:
> I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer for
> graphics software, Dislin.
> $./setup.exe
> bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied
> Permissions for setup.exe are -rwxrwxrwx+
> setup will run in a Windows Command window. I'm wondering if that "+" in the
> permissions is a problem. If so, how do I circumvent it? Any help would be
> appreciated.
> Lou
Lou,

cygstart is the command for starting Windows applications from the
command line. Most installers will run from Windows Explorer. I'm
curious to know why you don't just double-click on the item.

That plus sign on the end is Cygwin's way of noting the file "setup.exe"
has ACLs -- permissions of a type native to Windows that aren't _quite
suitable for ready display in a terminal. You can look them up on the
Cygwin site. (There's also the command 'getfacl <file>', but IMO its
output is a little abstruse for newbie Cygwin users).

Helpful? Good.

SW

* Re: Permission denied but have permission
@ 2011-09-22 18:01   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-09-22 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thrall, Bryan, cygwin

Greetings, Thrall, Bryan!

>> I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer
>> for graphics software, Dislin, viz.
>>
>> $./setup.exe
>> bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied

> Windows 7 has something called UAC[1] which forces you to run anything called 'setup.exe' with Administrator privileges. You either need to disable UAC or run the installer from Windows Explorer or
> a command prompt.

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Another option is to simple rename "setup.exe" to say, "cygwin.exe".

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Permission denied but have permission
@ 2011-09-22 14:57 Lou U
From: Lou U @ 2011-09-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2011-09-22 14:57 ` Thrall, Bryan
From: Thrall, Bryan @ 2011-09-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Thrall, Bryan

Lou U wrote on 2011-09-21:

> I am a newbie running cygwin on Windows 7. I want to run an installer
> for graphics software, Dislin, viz.
>
> $./setup.exe
> bash: ./setup.exe Permission denied

Windows 7 has something called UAC[1] which forces you to run anything called 'setup.exe' with Administrator privileges. You either need to disable UAC or run the installer from Windows Explorer or a command prompt.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Hope this helps,
--
Bryan Thrall