From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: gdb broken inside emacs (again? still?)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:32:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11/9/2011 4:44 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Attempting to run gdb inside emacs with an executable file name argument
> (with or without --annotate=3) causes it to seg fault (no surprise,
> known issue). Running just `gdb' from emacs allows it to initialize, but
> attempts to load a file or indeed perform any command hang until a
> double-^C cancels the attempt (reporting "C-c C-cquit"). Ironically,
> even `quit' hangs, so you have to use ^D to exit. Debugging anything
> within emacs is thus completely impossible at this time. I've tried with
> a home-compiled gdb (same version) with no better luck. I'm building an
> emacs-23 from scratch, but I'm pretty sure I've already tried that
> before, without any conclusive improvement.
>
> I know this has come up before, and that it has been "resolved" before
> for me and for others, but it keeps recurring (usually whenever I
> actually need to debug something) and I can't find any reliable way to
> make the problem go away.
>
> Do the latest snapshots contain changes which should fix the problem?
>
> I'm on an win7-64 system, running the 13 Oct dll snapshot, after a
> rebaseall. Relevant package versions are below (setup.exe doesn't
> advertize any newer ones):
>> binutils 2.22.51-1
>> gcc4 4.5.3-3
>> gcc4-core 4.5.3-3
>> gcc4-g++ 4.5.3-3
>> gcc4-java 4.5.3-3
>> gdb 7.3.50-2
>> emacs 23.3-3
>> emacs-X11 23.3-3

cgf has already stated that this will be fixed in the next release of
gdb; see

In the meantime, can't you use gdb 7.3.50-1?  If you also have problems
with that release, please send detailed instructions for reproducing the
problem (starting with emacs -Q).

Ken

P.S. If you're building your own emacs and using a Cygwin snapshot,
you'll need to apply my patch to fix the memory allocation problem that
we discussed a few months ago.  You can get this by using setup.exe to
download the source for emacs-23.3-3.