* RE: Problem with setup
@ 2002-05-27  3:22 Underwood, Jonathan
From: Underwood, Jonathan @ 2002-05-27  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', Underwood, Jonathan, cygwin

hm, problem still persists with the current snapshot 2.243.

* RE: problem with setup
@ 2008-02-06 16:35 Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2008-02-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Macanás; +Cc: cygwin

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> Asunto: Re: problem with setup
>
> > *cough*
> > just a thought... but cant you simply as administrator or some other
> > form of admin simply kill your cygwin isntall directory and remove the
> > Cygwin registry keys?
>
> I think there would be an uninstall icon for Cygwin (i.e. I would like
> to reinstall it and all the configuration files and registry
> modifications).

Well, Cygwin setup is an open-source project, and it should be relatively
easy to add one more action (uninstall) to it.  Would you care to submit a
patch?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel

* problem with setup
@ 2008-02-06  1:24 Amadeus W.M.
From: Amadeus W.M. @ 2008-02-06  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am (was) running cygwin under XP at work. It was installed a while back
by IT. Everything gets done through IT. They are primarily windows people
and they left out some important packages like man and others. So I asked
them to reinstall. I can't install the missing packages myself, they have
to download whatever I need, scan it for viruses, pack it somehow, then
install it on my machine.

Long story short, when all planets were in alignment, I ran setup to do
an installation from scratch (over my existing installation).
Accidentally, I had a shell open (I run bash in rxvt). At some point the
installer wanted to uninstall bash, it failed. I closed the shell and I
told it to retry, but it kept failing so I pressed cancel. I ran setup
again (several times) and at each time I would get an error that setup
crashed, please inform Microsoft . I said no, but the installer would
hang. Always when it was trying to uninstall bash.

Cygwin did install properly on other co-workers' machines, so I imagine I
caused the whole thing by having the shell open the first time. The
question is what do I do now? I don't even know where to start.

Is there a way to completely remove cygwin as if it was never there? Do I
have to clean up some entries in the registry? Delete /cygdrive/c/cygwin?
I'm a linux guy, I have no idea what to do in windows.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

* Problem with setup
@ 2004-11-11 23:28 Bobby McNulty
From: Bobby McNulty @ 2004-11-11 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Guys, theres a major problem with setup.
According to the error I just got, setup is not
closing any of its files after writing them.
I finally got past xorg, and got up to update_info.
I'll rerun setup to get a cygcheck.

* RE: Problem with setup
@ 2002-05-27 19:26 Underwood, Jonathan
From: Underwood, Jonathan @ 2002-05-27 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ton van Overbeek', cygwin; +Cc: Underwood, Jonathan, robert.collins

Actually, just tried the latest snapshot (2.248) and i still get a download
incomplete error with the post install script and a "Can't open (null) for
From: Ton van Overbeek @ 2002-05-27  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jonathan.Underwood, robert.collins

@ 2002-05-27  3:28 Underwood, Jonathan
From: Underwood, Jonathan @ 2002-05-27  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', Underwood, Jonathan, cygwin

Further to my last email I thought i'd send the list some information which
may, or may not be of use in tracking the problem (my knowledge of the whole
setup process being extremely limited).

Firstly i tried to do a "download from internet", selected "install" on the
All item in the packages list (thus requesting the entire distribution).
This seemed to fail when trying to download the post install script
_update-info-dir, complaining of "download incomplete" or similar. From
setup.log.full:

[_update-info-dir] action=00002-1 trust=curr installed=none src?=no
     categories=All, _PostInstallLast
     requires=ash, texinfo
2002/05/26 19:32:58 mbox yesno: Download Incomplete.  Try again?
2002/05/26 19:33:10 Ending cygwin install

Following that, i reran the setup and did an install from local directory,
which got all the way through, though i noticed in the terminal window that
pops up many errors being reported, though they flashed by two quikly to see
(i can't find a log of them anywhere). Anyway, the distribution so far seems
to be ok, but this all seems buggy in the extreme.

I see from reading back in the list that the functionality/non-functionality
of setup.exe has been an issue for sometime, though i can't see anything
directly related to this. Apologies if I missed something pertinent.

jonathan.

* RE: Problem with setup
@ 2002-05-27  2:14 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-27  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Underwood, Jonathan, cygwin

Yes, this has been corrected in HEAD. Please use a snapshot version from
http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots, or make sure that the setup.exe
package is set to source only, not binary downloads.

Rob

* Problem with setup
@ 2002-05-27  2:05 Underwood, Jonathan
From: Underwood, Jonathan @ 2002-05-27  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2002-05-12  7:36 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-12  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a new version that you can use. Just download it again.

Rob

* Problem with setup
@ 2002-05-12  2:56 Dimitris Zygiridis
From: Dimitris Zygiridis @ 2002-05-12  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-09-28  9:41 Eduardo R Larranaga
From: Eduardo R Larranaga @ 2001-09-28  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

SETUP.EXE is not figuring out that a new openssh needs to be downloaded.

The latest/openssh directory (mirrors.rcn.net) contains

  openssh-2.9p2-3.tar.bz2
  openssh-2.9.9p2-1.tar.bz2

but setup is happy with 2.9p2-3 - I can only get 2.9.9p2-1 by specifically
selecting it.

Ed