* stdout output missing, but redirecting works
@ 2011-12-09 19:48 Brian Craft
From: Brian Craft @ 2011-12-09 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I compiled a program yesterday which output some lines to stdout. It
appeared to be working. Running it today, I get nothing on stdout.
However, if I redirect stdout to a file, the correct output appears in
the file. E.g.

# no output
./foo
# "hello world" in bar
./foo > bar

In between yesterday and today, I've rebooted and run rebaseall, so
perhaps one of those is responsible for the change.

Any suggestions?

* Re: stdout output missing, but redirecting works
@ 2011-12-09 20:45 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-12-09 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/9/2011 2:47 PM, Brian Craft wrote:
> I compiled a program yesterday which output some lines to stdout. It
> appeared to be working. Running it today, I get nothing on stdout.
> However, if I redirect stdout to a file, the correct output appears in
> the file. E.g.
>
> # no output
> ./foo
> # "hello world" in bar
> ./foo>  bar
>

> In between yesterday and today, I've rebooted and run rebaseall, so
> perhaps one of those is responsible for the change.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sounds like buffering to me.  Is this program compiled with Cygwin's gcc
or something else?  What kind of terminal are you running it in?  Same one
as yesterday?

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2011-12-10  0:12   ` Brian Craft
From: Brian Craft @ 2011-12-10  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 12/9/2011 2:47 PM, Brian Craft wrote:
>>
>> I compiled a program yesterday which output some lines to stdout. It
>> appeared to be working. Running it today, I get nothing on stdout.
>> However, if I redirect stdout to a file, the correct output appears in
>> the file. E.g.
>>
>> # no output
>> ./foo
>> # "hello world" in bar
>> ./foo>  bar
>>

>> In between yesterday and today, I've rebooted and run rebaseall, so
>> perhaps one of those is responsible for the change.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Sounds like buffering to me.  Is this program compiled with Cygwin's gcc
> or something else?  What kind of terminal are you running it in?  Same one
> as yesterday?

Cygwin's g++. The default cygwin terminal.

Another bit of data: if I explicitly redirect the output to /dev/tty0,
I also get no output. E.g.

# outputs "hello"
echo hello > /dev/tty0
# no output
./foo > /dev/tty0

* Re: stdout output missing, but redirecting works
@ 2011-12-10  1:45     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-12-10  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Then my next WAG is BLODA - <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>.  If that's