* Re: utf-8 support with getclip?
       [not found] <CAGHJv4dKqt_oVmb+gYZXvUfmy1q0HXimyg-UxLqEO04DAZALLQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-04-17 12:36 ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2012-04-17 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having an issue with getclip and pasting utf-8 strings (like
"PONIEDZIAŁEK" for example).  Using mintty and right clicking I get
exactly what's in the clipboard.  If I call getclip from the command
line, I get PONIEDZIA?EK.  My LANG is set to en_CA.UTF-8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

* Re: utf-8 support with getclip?
@ 2012-04-18 12:06   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2012-04-18 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17 April 2012 13:35, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I'm having an issue with getclip and pasting utf-8 strings (like
> "PONIEDZIAŁEK" for example).  Using mintty and right clicking I get
> exactly what's in the clipboard.  If I call getclip from the command
> line, I get PONIEDZIA?EK.  My LANG is set to en_CA.UTF-8.

Yep, getclip (and putclip) don't have Unicode support (yet?), so
characters outside your system's ANSI codepage end up as question
marks.

The special /dev/clipboard device does have Unicode support though, so
you could just use 'cat /dev/clipboard' instead of getclip.

Andy

* Re: utf-8 support with getclip?
@ 2012-04-19  0:19     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2012-04-19  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/18/2012 8:06 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 17 April 2012 13:35, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with getclip and pasting utf-8 strings (like
>> "PONIEDZIAŁEK" for example).  Using mintty and right clicking I get
>> exactly what's in the clipboard.  If I call getclip from the command
>> line, I get PONIEDZIA?EK.  My LANG is set to en_CA.UTF-8.
>
> Yep, getclip (and putclip) don't have Unicode support (yet?), so
> characters outside your system's ANSI codepage end up as question
> marks.
>
> The special /dev/clipboard device does have Unicode support though, so
> you could just use 'cat /dev/clipboard' instead of getclip.

It would be nice if putclip/getclip COULD speak Unicode.  PTC. Indeed,
PDS.  (Ditto mkshortcut, lpr, readshortcut...)

--
Chuck

[*] Patches Desperately Solicited.

* Re: utf-8 support with getclip?
@ 2012-04-19 18:53       ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2012-04-19 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 19.04.2012 02:18, schrieb Charles Wilson:
> On 4/18/2012 8:06 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> On 17 April 2012 13:35, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>>> I'm having an issue with getclip and pasting utf-8 strings (like
>>> "PONIEDZIAŁEK" for example).  Using mintty and right clicking I get
>>> exactly what's in the clipboard.  If I call getclip from the command
>>> line, I get PONIEDZIA?EK.  My LANG is set to en_CA.UTF-8.
>> Yep, getclip (and putclip) don't have Unicode support (yet?), so
>> characters outside your system's ANSI codepage end up as question
>> marks.
>>
>> The special /dev/clipboard device does have Unicode support though, so
>> you could just use 'cat /dev/clipboard' instead of getclip.
> It would be nice if putclip/getclip COULD speak Unicode.  PTC. Indeed,
> PDS.  (Ditto mkshortcut, lpr, readshortcut...)
For the clipboard, this would be trivial to achieve; I had recently made
a suggestion: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00648.html
Thomas