* lzma instead of bzip2 for packages compression ?
@ 2012-04-24 16:21 Jérôme Bouat
From: Jérôme Bouat @ 2012-04-24 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

The cygwin 'tar.bz2' packages are created once and broadcasted to many hosts.

The lzma compression is fast for decompression.  Could we possibly get the packages with lzma compression ?

We could set the right parameters in order to fit a maximum memory limit that would be required for decompression.

Regards.

* Re: lzma instead of bzip2 for packages compression ?
@ 2012-04-24 16:27 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-04-24 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/24/2012 10:21 AM, Jérôme Bouat wrote:
> Hello,
>

> The cygwin 'tar.bz2' packages are created once and broadcasted to many
> hosts.
>
> The lzma compression is fast for decompression.  Could we possibly get
> the packages with lzma compression ?

lzma is obsolete.  If anything, we want xz.

* Re: lzma instead of bzip2 for packages compression ?
@ 2012-04-24 17:17   ` Jérôme Bouat
From: Jérôme Bouat @ 2012-04-24 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In case you want to use xz, the '--extreme' option prevides a higher compression ratio than lzma with the same memory requirement for decompression.