* Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-05-31 17:55 kete
From: kete @ 2012-05-31 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried to export an org file, and Emacs said it "Can't find org library".
Regards,
Kete

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-05-31 18:44 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-05-31 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/31/2012 12:18 PM, kete@ninthfloor.org wrote:
> I tried to export an org file, and Emacs said it "Can't find org library".

Please give complete, detailed instructions for reproducing the problem,
preferably starting with 'emacs -Q'.  I don't use Org, so your
instructions shouldn't assume I know anything about it.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's emacs maintainer

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-26 16:23       ` Kenneth W Foy, Jr
From: Kenneth W Foy, Jr @ 2012-10-26 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:12:48 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 5:42 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
>> Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be
>> necessary if Emacs
>> ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't
>> make sense
>> that Ken had success with exporting an org file
>
> I think that indicates that your problems don't have anything to do
> with the Org-mode version.
>
>> I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the
>> important thing
>> is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks.
>> That's all
>
> What library is it that you think Emacs lacks?  Did you try
> installing emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October
> 21?

Thanks, Ken, I just exported an org file after installing emacs-el. I
appreciate your patience.
--
Regards,
Kenneth W Foy, Jr

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-23 13:20       ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2012-10-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 09:12:48 AM Ken Brown wrote:
> Did you try installing
> emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October 21?

Not yet, but I will try that first when I get back to the Windows computer.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-23 13:12     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-23 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/22/2012 5:42 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
> Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be necessary if Emacs
> ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't make sense
> that Ken had success with exporting an org file

I think that indicates that your problems don't have anything to do with
the Org-mode version.

> I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the important thing
> is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks. That's all

What library is it that you think Emacs lacks?  Did you try installing
emacs-el as I suggested in one of my messages of October 21?

Ken

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22 21:42   ` Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2012-10-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday, October 22, 2012 01:02:57 PM Achim Gratz wrote:
> Kete Foy writes:
> > If you could package the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian
> > does, I think it would fix this problem, and I would appreciate it.
>
> Ken packages Emacs releases, including whatever version of Org that
> comes with it.  Debian does exactly the same, btw (Sebastien Delafond
> provides an Org-mode package for Debian, but 7.9.2 is certainly not part
> of the distribution yet).
>
> If you want to run the latest Org-mode, I suggest you install it via the
> package manager, details on how to do that are here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/elpa.html
>
> The above is directly from the development branch, if you'd rather use
> the latest release version plus bugfixes, use the package at
>
> http://elpa.gnu.org/
>
> instead (the latter requires no extra configuration with Emacs 24).
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
Thanks, I will try those if necessary. I imagine it will be necessary if Emacs
ships with an old (7.8) version of Org-mode. That's why it doesn't make sense
that Ken had success with exporting an org file, but I will test with 'emacs -
Q'.

I was too lazy to clarify that Debian provides 7.9.1, but the important thing
is that 7.9 is available and provides the library that Emacs lacks. That's all
I'm using; I have no need for the latest point release. I'm just saying, if
someone packaged it, now, it would be 7.9.2, but I could have left off the '2'
to avoid being corrected.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22 17:03 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-10-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2012-10-22  2:26   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-22  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/21/2012 10:23 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/21/2012 3:56 PM, Kete Foy wrote:
>> Ken,
>> Thanks for your reply on May 31 (URL at bottom), to reproduce the
>> issue, start
>> an org file by naming it anything.org. Then, try to export it with the
>> following keybinding: C-c C-e. I had this same problem in Debian, and the
>
> It appears to work for me.  I visited an empty file called anything.org,
> and I typed C-c C-e.  This gave me a list of choices of format for the
> export.  I didn't take it any further.
>
> As I said in my first reply, I don't use Org mode, so maybe I'm missing
> something.  If so, please give me *detailed* instructions as to what to
> do.  Then tell me what happens when you do it and what you think should
> happen.
>
>> Freenode #emacs channel helped me figure out it was due to the old
>> version of
>> Org-mode. 7.9.1 fixes this problem, but Debian ships Emacs with 7.8.*.
>> To see
>> the Org-mode version, please type M-x org-version RET. If you could
>> package
>> the new Org-mode version of 7.9.2 like Debian does, I think it would
>> fix this
>
> I don't know what Debian does, but my Cygwin emacs packages include
> whatever version emacs ships.  I'm not interested in packaging a
> different version of Org-mode and hoping it works with the current emacs.
>
>> problem, and I would appreciate it. 7.8 probably can't do other org
>> commands
>> like a bug report either (M-x org-submit-bug-report RET).
>
> Again, this appears to work for me, so you'll need to give details if
> you're having a problem with it.  And please follow the
> problem-reporting guidelines as given here:
>
>    http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Ken

By the way, do you have the emacs-el package installed?  This provides
the elisp sources for the emacs libraries.  I recall an emacs bug report
indicating that these are needed for some of the Org-mode commands.

* Re: Emacs 24 can't find org library
@ 2012-10-22  2:23 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-10-22  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin