From: Mario Emmenlauer <mario@emmenlauer.de>
To: Adam Kessel <adam@rosi-kessel.org>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Faster rsync?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 15:17:53 +0200	[thread overview]

On 29.08.23 14:32, Adam Kessel via Cygwin wrote:
> I've found rsync to be painfully slow on large folders -- hours to sync thousands of files, even when they already match size and --size-only is used. It's much
> faster between native Linux boxes.

I've been using rsync, unison and similar tools on Windows and Linux since basically forever. In my humble opinion, the problem is the Windows file system
performance, not the synchronization tools. As a separate example, try to download the boost source code, and extract the archive. I can do the extraction in
way under a minute on Linux, but have to wait many many minutes on a similarly equipped Windows machine.

Just my two cents.

     Mario