* copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  6:48 Tzafrir Cohen
From: Tzafrir Cohen @ 2002-06-06  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

I installed cygwin (recent beta) on a win98 computer somewhere on the local
network. Works fine and I'm quite happy with it.

However, I want to use cygwin in my XP workstation on the same network.

I also admin a linux server on the same network which has sambe configured
pretty well, and has many config files already, so I thought I'll mount my
home dir from there and keep all the files there, and hopefully be able to
keep a minimal configuration on the workstation.

I created a network sare called "cygwin" on the win98 computer, and mapped it
as N: in the XP. It is read-only.
I also mapped P: to the home directory from the linux server. It is writable.

I tried to run n:\bin\bash.exe , and got long delays, and all sorts of
messages regarding /etc/profile.d/alias.sh not present . This was simply
because '/' wasn't mounted.

I tried exporting the registry settings from the win98 computer and adjusting
them. I managed to merge the modified file, but still bash does not see any
mounted systems. How do cygwin programs know if they should look in the
system or in the user settings?

Anyway: The original registry settings:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"native"="n:/"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"native"="n:/bin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="n:/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]

The modified registry settings:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"native"="n:/"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"native"="n:/bin"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="n:/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]

Another problem I'll have: I'll have to mount something for /tmp . I figure
I'll use P:/tmp

--
Tzafrir Cohen
http://www.gadot.org.il/tzafrir/

It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  7:23 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tzafrir Cohen, cygwin

At 08:52 AM 6/6/2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I installed cygwin (recent beta) on a win98 computer somewhere on the local
>network. Works fine and I'm quite happy with it.
>
>However, I want to use cygwin in my XP workstation on the same network.
>
>I also admin a linux server on the same network which has sambe configured
>pretty well, and has many config files already, so I thought I'll mount my
>home dir from there and keep all the files there, and hopefully be able to
>keep a minimal configuration on the workstation.
>
>I created a network sare called "cygwin" on the win98 computer, and mapped it
>as N: in the XP. It is read-only.
>I also mapped P: to the home directory from the linux server. It is writable.
>

>I tried to run n:\bin\bash.exe , and got long delays, and all sorts of
>messages regarding /etc/profile.d/alias.sh not present . This was simply
>because '/' wasn't mounted.
>
>I tried exporting the registry settings from the win98 computer and adjusting
>them. I managed to merge the modified file, but still bash does not see any
>mounted systems. How do cygwin programs know if they should look in the
>system or in the user settings?

What exactly led you to the conclusion that the best approach to setting up
mounts on the XP system was to copy registry settings from the 98 machine?
Get rid of the registry entries you've created this way and just use 'mount'
to set up mount points like the ones you have on the 98 machine.  It's allot
simpler and requires no explicit registry manipulations.

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  7:34   ` Tzafrir Cohen
From: Tzafrir Cohen @ 2002-06-06  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:

> What exactly led you to the conclusion that the best approach to setting up
> mounts on the XP system was to copy registry settings from the 98 machine?
> Get rid of the registry entries you've created this way and just use 'mount'
> to set up mount points like the ones you have on the 98 machine.  It's allot
> simpler and requires no explicit registry manipulations.

The thing that led me to do that is past experience with explicit mounts.

The problem is what happens if I run the script twice. I don't understand
exactly what happens there, but I know that I got errors about "mount point
busy" and such.

Anyway, this is what I currently did. My current cygwin.bat:

set HOME=p:\
set LOGNAME=tzafrir
n:\bin\mount n:/ /
n:\bin\mount p:/tmp /tmp
n:\bin\bash --login -i

Probably could be improved, but it sort-of works for the moment. I sort-of got
and X server&ssh up-and-running.

I still only consider it sort-of works, as I currently have many problems.

For instance, 'startx' doesn't work, due to some X authorization problem.
Maybe because mcooky is missing. And I still have to create /home/tzafrir
so I can mount my home directory on it.

--

@ 2002-06-06  7:49     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tzafrir Cohen, cygwin

At 10:13 AM 6/6/2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:
>
>> What exactly led you to the conclusion that the best approach to setting up
>> mounts on the XP system was to copy registry settings from the 98 machine?
>> Get rid of the registry entries you've created this way and just use 'mount'
>> to set up mount points like the ones you have on the 98 machine.  It's allot
>> simpler and requires no explicit registry manipulations.
>>

>The thing that led me to do that is past experience with explicit mounts.
>
>The problem is what happens if I run the script twice. I don't understand
>exactly what happens there, but I know that I got errors about "mount point
>busy" and such.

mount points are persistent.  That's why you can find them in the registry.
You simply need to create the mount points you want once.  After that, they
will persist on the system for which they were created until you remove them.
If you try to recreate them without first removing them, you will get a
message indicating the mount point is busy.  In your case, you should
interpret this as "I don't need to create this mount point.  It exists
already."

>Anyway, this is what I currently did. My current cygwin.bat:
>
>set HOME=p:\
>set LOGNAME=tzafrir
>n:\bin\mount n:/ /
>n:\bin\mount p:/tmp /tmp

Get rid of these two lines.  If you've run this batch file once on the
target machine, you're done.  If not, run the commands from the DOS box
once.

>n:\bin\bash --login -i
>

>Probably could be improved, but it sort-of works for the moment. I sort-of got
>and X server&ssh up-and-running.
>
>I still only consider it sort-of works, as I currently have many problems.
>
>For instance, 'startx' doesn't work, due to some X authorization problem.
>Maybe because mcooky is missing. And I still have to create /home/tzafrir
>so I can mount my home directory on it.

Sounds like you're on the right track, more or less.

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  7:51       ` Tzafrir Cohen
From: Tzafrir Cohen @ 2002-06-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:

> mount points are persistent.  That's why you can find them in the registry.
> You simply need to create the mount points you want once.  After that, they
> will persist on the system for which they were created until you remove them.

That's good. It means I only need a "setup" script.

Where in the registry: user registry, or system registry?

I seems that the system registry is the logical place for that, but I can't
write there. Is there a way to explicitly select this?

Thanks

--
Tzafrir Cohen
http://www.gadot.org.il/tzafrir/

(1) Never draw what you can copy.
(2) Never copy what you can trace.
(3) Never trace what you can cut out and paste down.

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  7:57         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tzafrir Cohen, cygwin

At 10:45 AM 6/6/2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:
>
>> mount points are persistent.  That's why you can find them in the registry.
>> You simply need to create the mount points you want once.  After that, they
>> will persist on the system for which they were created until you remove them.
>
>That's good. It means I only need a "setup" script.
>
>Where in the registry: user registry, or system registry?
>
>I seems that the system registry is the logical place for that, but I can't
>write there. Is there a way to explicitly select this?
>
>Thanks

% mount --help
Usage: mount [OPTION] [<win32path> <posixpath>]
  -b, --binary                  text files are equivalent to binary files
                                (newline = \n)
  -c, --change-cygdrive-prefix  change the cygdrive path prefix to <posixpath>
  -f, --force                   force mount, don't warn about missing mount
                                point directories
  -i, --import-old-mounts copy  old registry mount table mounts into the current

                                mount areas
  -p, --show-cygdrive-prefix    show user and/or system cygdrive path prefix
  -s, --system                  add mount point to system-wide registry location

  -t, --text       (default)    text files get \r\n line endings
  -u, --user       (default)    add mount point to user registry location
  -x, --executable              treat all files under mount point as executables

  -X, --cygwin-executable       treat all files under mount point as cygwin
                                executables
  -m, --mount-commands          write mount commands to replace user and
                                system mount points and cygdrive prefixes

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06 15:53 Tzafrir Cohen
From: Tzafrir Cohen @ 2002-06-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

 > For instance, 'startx' doesn't work, due to some X authorization problem.
 > Maybe because mcooky is missing.

mcookie, actually.

On my linux box the startx script runs, right before running xinit:

    mcookie=`mcookie`
    for displayname in $display `hostname -f`$display; do
        if ! xauth list "$displayname" | grep "$displayname " >/dev/null
2>&1; then
            xauth add $displayname . $mcookie
            removelist="$displayname $removelist"
        fi
    done

Basically this snippet creates a random cookie using mcookie and adds it
to the XAUTHORITY list of cookies. It seems that mcookie comes with the
util-linux package on that linux box. I could not find it in any cygwin
package.

Any pointers on how do I make XAuthority work properly?

* Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  8:12 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-06-06  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 04:45:52PM +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

> [...]

Actually, "man mount" is an even greater friend.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .

* RE: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user
@ 2002-06-06  7:58 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2002-06-06  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tzafrir Cohen', cygwin

HTH