* RE: Newby: setting up SSH
       [not found] <151954CE82EC3249A2B2A933CECB747E610DB1@MAIL01.CONNECT.CONN ECTAPPS.NET>
@ 2003-09-08  1:44 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-09-08  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nadia Kunkov, Cygwin List

You're best bet is to enable verbose mode for ssh (-v -v -v) and see what
the client thinks it's finding.  My WAG is that it's actually failing
public key authentication and asking you for a password for authentication
instead.  But the output of the above will indicate whether my WAG is
true or not.

Larry

At 03:49 PM 9/3/2003, Nadia Kunkov you wrote:
>Thank you so much.  It of course worked!
>Now I have another problem.  I've set up public/private keys and since I need to set up an automated file transfer I didn't enter a passphrase.
>When it asked for passphrase while creating keys I pressed enter.
>Now, when I try to connect and specify the identity file it keeps asking me for a passphrase.  What did I do wrong?  I need to do away with all the prompts.
>Thanks for your advice.
>N.K.

* RE: Newby: setting up SSH
@ 2003-09-09 14:32 Nadia Kunkov
From: Nadia Kunkov @ 2003-09-09 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Hi, I think your WAG is right, it is asking for a password now.  I don't know what has changed but it used to ask my for a passphrase.
Could you tell me what to make of this output and why it doesn't use my keys?  Another question, where do I have to generate keys on the client or a server.  I've generated them on a client (Linux box) and move the key over to the server (Windows box) is that OK?  I have generated an RSA key for SSH 1.3.

Here is the verbose output: (I have substituted the real IP addresses with something like mywindowsIP etc.)

ssh -v -i /root/.ssh/identity myusername@myLinuxIP
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 1
debug1: Connecting to MyWindowsIP [MyWindowsIP] port 22.
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0)
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0)
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type 0
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.1p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.1p1 pat OpenSSH*
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.1p1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 130/256
debug1: bits set: 1566/3191
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'myWindowsIP' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: bits set: 1540/3191
debug1: kex_derive_keys
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interacti
ve
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interacti
ve
debug1: next auth method to try is password
myusername@myWindowsIP's password:

Can you see why it asks me for a password even though it found an identity file?

Thanks
N.K.

You're best bet is to enable verbose mode for ssh (-v -v -v) and see what
the client thinks it's finding.  My WAG is that it's actually failing
public key authentication and asking you for a password for authentication
instead.  But the output of the above will indicate whether my WAG is
true or not.

Larry

At 03:49 PM 9/3/2003, Nadia Kunkov you wrote:
>Thank you so much.  It of course worked!
>Now I have another problem.  I've set up public/private keys and since I need to set up an automated file transfer I didn't enter a passphrase.
>When it asked for passphrase while creating keys I pressed enter.
>Now, when I try to connect and specify the identity file it keeps asking me for a passphrase.  What did I do wrong?  I need to do away with all the prompts.
>Thanks for your advice.
>N.K.

* RE: Newby: setting up SSH
@ 2003-09-03 20:01 Nadia Kunkov

       [not found] <151954CE82EC3249A2B2A933CECB747E610DAD@MAIL01.CONNECT.CONN ECTAPPS.NET>
@ 2003-09-03  0:44 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-09-03  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nadia Kunkov, cygwin

At 09:04 AM 9/2/2003, Nadia Kunkov you wrote:
>Hi, I'm new to SSH.  I've just installed Cygwin on my Win2000 workstation.
>My goal is to connect to it from Linux box and copy files from Linux to
>Win2000.  I can connect to my windows box from Linux and browse the
>directories.  But I need to set up and automated file transfer and therefore public and private keys.
>I think my set up is not complete/correct.
>When I run ssh localhost on my win2k  I see a message:
>Cannot create directory /cygdrive/h/username: no such file or dir
>Well it's looking at h drive and I need it to look at c drive.  Where do I change that?  Also, the authorized_keys file should reside in my home
>directory, will that be /cygdirve/c/username/.ssh?
>It also says that user name or group hasn't been setup correctly.  What
>should I do to set it all up?
>Thanks in advance.
>N.K.

Change your home directory in /etc/passwd to be '/cygdirve/c/username'.
You're obviously working with a domain user account.  See 'man mkpasswd'
and 'man mkgroup' for information on how to setup up these files for
domain users.

You can find allot of answers to questions like these by searching the
email archives (from the Cygwin site or via Google).

Holliston, MA 01746

* Newby: setting up SSH
@ 2003-09-02 13:06 Nadia Kunkov