* RE: Curious - why Cygwin Bash so much faster in rxvt than Windows CLI?
@ 2001-07-13 19:32 Steve Jorgensen
From: Steve Jorgensen @ 2001-07-13 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List (E-mail)

There may not be a real performance effect, but there is a definitely
perceptible latency.  You see it, right?  I'm glad to know it's not
actually interfering with processes, though.

From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-07-13 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jorgens, cygwin

Steve,

I ran another test with a different font in RXVT, and got very different
results:

New RXVT test:
...\rxvt.exe -g 120x91+853+0 -bg #000055 -fg #eeeeee -fn "Andale Mono-12"
-sr -sl 5000 -vb -e /bin/bash --login -i

% time ls -lR /
real    0m32.422s
user    0m5.920s
sys     0m21.781s

% tsize
rows 92; columns 120

(Note that I invoke rxvt requesting a 91-line-high window and get a 92
line-high window. This off-by-one always happens to me with RXVT, for
whatever reason--see below.)

Previous RXVT test:
...\rxvt.exe -g 120x99+732+0 -bg #000055 -fg #eeeeee -fn "Lucida
Console-11" -sr -sl 5000 -vb -e /bin/bash --login -i

% time ls -lR /
<lots of elided output>
real    1m33.360s
user    0m6.765s
sys     0m31.561s

% tsize
rows 100; columns 120

Previous Windows Character Subsystem window:
...\bash.exe --login -i

% time ls -lR /
<lots of elided output>
real    1m27.782s
user    0m7.296s
sys     0m23.608s

% tsize
rows 93; columns 120

In the previous test, the windows were nearly the same size (in pixels). In
the second case the choice of font yielded a closer match to the character
cell dimensions of the Windows Character Subsystem window, but the RXVT
window size in pixels was about 15% narrower and the Character window. In
all cases, the windows very nearly (or exactly) filled the screen's 1200
vertical pixels less a double-high "bar" (single-height taskbar +
single-height quick-launch bar).

Performance measurement is _never_ simple or straightforward!

Randall

@ 2001-07-13 19:22 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-07-13 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jorgens, Cygwin List (E-mail)