* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  9:20 jmarshall
From: jmarshall @ 2001-08-29  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If I make an RPM, that does not mean that said RPM is now an official
> part of the Red Hat distribution.  It means that it is a Red Hat Package
> Manager file.

Right.  It's not an official part of the Red Hat distribution.  But it
*is* conveniently installable by the "rpm" tool, or any other tool used
to install Red Hat Package Manager packages.

> Hmm.  Now you've got it.  So, why the above confusion?

Perhaps you can suggest a succinct name for "tar file containing programs
that use Cygwin and installable by Cygwin's setup.exe".  Clearly the words
I used ("Cygwin package", by comparison with "RPM package") are causing
people who already use those words for something else a lot of confusion.

> [Random packages from Al Buonanno, Joe Blaupunkt, and Irene Trumbauer
> aren't official parts of the Cygwin distribution.]

Okay, I think I get your point.

>> As Charles
>> suggested, I can call the file prc-tools-cygwin-2.1.tar.gz
>
> Actually, I suggested that.  I don't understand why this is horrible.

Both you and Charles suggested this one.  (I'm surprised you don't see
why it is not as nice as it could be.)

    John

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29 10:10 ` Michael F. March
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael F. March @ 2001-08-29 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Marshall, cygwin

Is there a reason why all the packages for Cygwin are not
managed via RPM instead of these compressed tar balls?

@ 2001-08-29 10:59   ` Alex Malinovich
From: Alex Malinovich @ 2001-08-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Last time I checked, the only working version of RPM for Cygwin was 3.
(If memory serves.) And I haven't heard too much discussion from people
who are willing to do modifications to it to make the newer versions
work with cygwin. Though I'd imagine that if a developer writing a
cygwin app wanted to make a v3 RPM and distrubute it that way (with
information on where to get the latest working Cygwin version of RPM) it
would work.

As for the actual OFFICIAL cygwin distribution, I have no idea. I'd
imagine that having setup.exe no one is quite inclined to scrap it in
favor of a completely new setup scheme. That's just pure speculation on
my part however.

-Alex

@ 2001-08-29 11:02   ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-08-29 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael F. March; +Cc: John Marshall, cygwin

Please, not again.  do NOT start this thread AGAIN.  Go back, read the
archives where this was discussed thoroughly.  Synopsis: not now,
*maybe* later; many things must happen first.

--Chuck

@ 2001-08-29 14:04   ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-08-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael F. March, John Marshall, cygwin

At 19:08 29-8-2001, Michael F. March wrote:
>Is there a reason why all the packages for Cygwin are not
>managed via RPM instead of these compressed tar balls?

For one, a Cygwin RPM would not be able to install cygwin1.dll.  (That's
why setup.exe is not a cygwin app.)

>Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > If I make an RPM, that does not mean that said RPM is now an official
> > part of the Red Hat distribution.  It means that it is a Red Hat Package
> > Manager file.
>
>Right.  It's not an official part of the Red Hat distribution.  But it
>*is* conveniently installable by the "rpm" tool, or any other tool used
>to install Red Hat Package Manager packages.

If I make a tar.gz, it is conveniently installable by the GNU "tar" tool,
or any other tool used to install tar.gz files.  :-)

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  7:37 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-29  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:33:21PM +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>>You might want to subscribe to cygwin-developers to know what is
>>scheduled, or look in the archives.  cygwin@cygwin.com is the general
>>discussion forum, and cygwin-apps is for ported applications.
>>Setup.exe is neither.
>
>I don't subscribe to cygwin-developpers as I'm *not* a developper (I
>regret it but *really* don't have time to), don't want my mailbox to be
>more filled than it already is (not counting the fact that it's not an
>open list IIRC), but setup.exe seems to be discussed so often on the
>general list that...

Hmm, and cygwin1.dll is discussed here, too, so...

And, we discuss releases here quite a lot...

I've seen mount mentioned on a regular basis...

cgf

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  7:35   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-29  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:25:30PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>You might want to subscribe to cygwin-developers to know what is
>scheduled, or look in the archives. cygwin@cygwin.com is the general
>discussion forum, and cygwin-apps is for ported applications. Setup.exe
>is neither.

Sorry.  cygwin-developers is a closed list.  I have stringent
requirements for subscribing people.  You can peruse it in the web
archives, though, as mentioned.

cgf

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  7:30         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-29  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 02:00:25PM +0100, John Marshall wrote:

>Okay, but the file I'm talking about *is* a Cygwin package, at least in
>the sense in which I was naively using the words.  I was using "Cygwin
>package" to mean "package using the Cygwin environment and installable
>by Cygwin's setup.exe", i.e., "a file, like grep-2.4.2-1.tar.gz, which is
>a [bg]zipped tarball containing executables and such in a /usr/bin, /etc
>etc sort of directory hierarchy as described in
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00055.html." ;

Wow.  How many times do I have to explain this distinction?

If I make an RPM, that does not mean that said RPM is now an official
part of the Red Hat distribution.  It means that it is a Red Hat Package
Manager file.

If I make a tar file containing programs that use cygwin, that does not
mean that it is part of the official cygwin distribution.  It means
that it is a tar file containing files that use cygwin.

>> The PRC-Tools are not distributed from the cygwin web site.  They are
>> not an official cygwin package.
>
>Ah, so setup.exe is only intended to install *official* Cygwin packages,
>it's not supposed to be a general installation tool.

Hmm.  Now you've got it.  So, why the above confusion?

>That's fair enough.  But it seems a shame, because it's so close to
>being that general tool.

Sure.  As has been pointed out elsewhere, sometimes tools can be used
in a more general way than what they were designed for.

>In short, I want to think of setup.exe the same way as Bernard Dautrevaux:
>as *the* package management tool for Cygwin.  (That's certainly what it
>looks like it is when you use it!)

I don't think that anyone fails to grasp the idea that you and Bernard
want to use setup.exe for other things.  Since the tool, in its default
state, automatically downloads cygwin from the web, it obviously is
intended as the cygwin distribution installation utility.

If you set things up correctly, setup.exe will install "other" tar files
that it finds in the download directory.  Does that mean that it is a
bug that you can't use setup.exe to download anything but the cygwin
distribution?  I suppose a leap of imagination might lead you to
conclude that the installer was somehow half finished since it only
seems to be good at installing non-distribution packages that you
download by hand.

Also, you can, of course, make a case for why you think that setup.exe
should be a word processor.  That doesn't mean that anyone is interested
in making setup.exe into a word processor.  That's the real problem here.
This seems to be the standard free software scenario of people wanting
stuff really bad and getting bothered when the developers don't seem to
be inclined to move in that direction.

(This is not directed at John who is actually obviously thinking about the
issues and supplying honest-to-gosh patches.)

Btw, by cygwin distribution, I don't mean some package of shell scripts
distributed by Al Buonanno which use cygwin and ash to send random
bird calls to the sound port as alarms.  I'm talking about the cygwin
distribution as distributed from sources.redhat.com.

>I understand that this was not one of the original design goals.  But it
>seems to me that it would not be difficult and would be useful for Cygwin
>users (and also for package distributors like me), so I want to open a
>discussion on it.
>
>I'm surprised that this seems to be a new thing.  I would have thought
>that there would be lots of people wanting to do what I want to do
>(distribute a binary package that runs in a Cygwin environment, but which
>is not fundamental enough to be worth adding to the list of "official
>Cygwin packages" hosted on the Cygwin web site).

I'm surprised that you are surprised, since you seem to have looked at
the source code.

Haven't you noticed that setup.exe goes straight to sources.redhat.com
to retrieve its list of *cygwin* mirrors so that it can download the
*cygwin* setup.ini file?

And, by *cygwin*, I don't mean something like Joe Blaupunkt's
cygwin-using package to keep track of baseball cards.  I mean the
*official* *cygwin* *distribution*.

Since setup.exe is specifically grabbing the cygwin distribution, it
obviously is not a general-purpose install tool.  Sure, you can use it
that way but it has a long ways to go before it is acceptable for this
purpose.

So, unless you are modifying setup.exe for your own uses, I can easily
imagine the plaintive mailing lists cries "I tried to setup.exe the
PRC-tools but they don't show up! I've uninstalled and reinstalled
cygwin 27 times but they still are not there!"

>I can use various tricks in my setup.ini file with the existing setup.exe
>program to conform to the naming convention and make everything work in
>the "Install from Internet" case.  That's fine.  But, in a perfect world,
>it would be good if the download-manually-and-"Install from Local
>Directory" case worked well too, because I suspect that's what more
>knowledgeable users will want to do.

I suspect that most users would expect that setup.exe would be able to
download a package using the same mechanism as they used to download
the official cygwin distribution and would be potentially confused
by the fact that installing add-ons required other manual steps.

By the way, when I say "official cygwin distribution" I don't mean
something like a random cygwin package distributed by Irene Trumbauer to
keep track of rare Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts.  I'm referring to
the cygwin distribution as hosted at sources.redhat.com.

>Imagine a perhaps not enormously knowledgeable user who goes to
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4429 and downloads
>a few files, perhaps a source tarball and a binary package, into some
>temporary directory.  Regardless of whatever subdirectory or symlink
>structure they might have had on the server, on this user's local drive
>they are just a bunch of files identified by their names.  Later they come
>to look at and/or install these files.  By now, they've forgotten all
>about them and the only information they have to go on is the filenames.
>
>If the Cygwin binary package they've downloaded is called
>prc-tools-2.1-1.tar.gz, people *will* get confused about the difference
>between prc-tools-2.1.tar.gz and prc-tools-2.1-1.tar.gz, and they'll send
>me email about it.  I'd like to be able to avoid generating that
>confusion.

So, name the cygwin tools: prc-tools-cygwin-2.1-1.tar.gz.

>I can use various workarounds to do that more or less successfully.
>As I suggested, I can call the file prc-tools-2.1-cygwin.tar.gz, with
>the side-effect that the version is 2.1-cygwin instead of 2.1.  As Charles
>suggested, I can call the file prc-tools-cygwin-2.1.tar.gz, with the
>side-effect that the package name will be listed in the UI as
>prc-tools-cygwin instead of prc-tools.

Actually, I suggested that.  I don't understand why this is horrible.

>This is workable, but not aesthetically satisfying.  I *will* get email
>from moronic users asking why "prc-tools 2.1" is listed as "2.1-cygwin"
>or "prc-tools-cygwin".  If I provide two source tarballs with different
>names -- prc-tools-2.1.tar.gz and prc-tools-2.1-src.tar.gz -- as Charles
>suggested, I *will* get email from morons asking what the difference
>between them is.

And *we* will get mail asking why setup.exe isn't installing PRC-tools
like it should.

>The situation is workable at the moment, and I could just go away and use
>one of these workarounds and live in an imperfect world (and just ignore
>all the moronic email I'm going to get).  In fact, considering the flame
>war that my not especially well explained but well-intentioned posting
>seems to have produced, I might do just that. :-)

I guess I have a hard time believing that someone would contact you if
they saw a -cygwin attached to anything.  I'm about as pessimistic about
moronic email as is possible to get but I really don't see getting a lot
of email about this.  YMMV, I guess.

>But this is free software, and I do like to strive for aesthetics and a
>perfect world.  It is my opinion that setup.exe can be extended in this
>way with very little maintenance burden, so if there's interest in making
>life easier for users and developers of non-standard packages like this
>running on Cygwin, I do think it's worth discussing and I hope I've
>motivated the issue better this time.
>
>I've got another IMHO even better suggestion, which I think poses less risk
>to the name parsing, which I'll present if there's interest.  But this
>email is already far too long and boring, and I'm out of time right now...

The bottom line is that, when we fix something in setup.exe, we don't like
to do half measures if we can avoid it.  I don't see adding -cygwin as
anything besides a half-measure.

If we are going to add third-party installation support then it needs to
be discussed and designed.  For discussion to take place we'd need to
actually get people interested.  I don't know if that is possible.

I've asked for feedback on this issue in the mailing list devoted to
developing setup.exe and so far the only responses have been "Lets just
get it working right for the cygwin distribution installation".  That
probably means that no one is interested in taking on this support
burden.

If you want to sign on as the person who champions third-party
installation via setup.exe and you would be willing to address all
concerns, that would be great.  Otherwise, we seem to already have our
hands full with a limited number of developers with a limited amount of
time.

And by "cygwin distribution installation", I am quite sure that the
other developers are not referring to some collection of programs built
in the cygwin environment and packaged by Frank Lambros to manage his
Alf pog collection.  I'm referring to the cygwin distribution from
cygwin.com (aka sources.redhat.com).

>As for the side issue of GPL compliance etc, I don't want to waste your
>time by addressing it here.  I thank Christopher for his advisory
>notes, but I assure you that I do understand the issues and we do
>fulfill all our obligations under the GPL.  Of course, I don't expect
>anyone to believe that just because I said so :-), but I do expect to
>be given the benefit of the doubt.  If anyone wants to dispute my
>assurance above, they really ought to check the facts at
> http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/ first.

That is exactly the assurance that I was looking for.  I do believe you
just because you said so.

I've had a number of encounters with people who distribute cygwin
compiled binaries who are confused by the GPL.  Often these are the
people who are confused by the GPL and don't really want to understand
what they need to do to comply.  Sometimes they are quite hostile and
think that I'm badgering them.  Usually they are reasonable and
interested in finding out what exactly they need to do.

So, mentioning it is now a reflexive behavior.  I wasn't even looking
for reassurance.  I was just performing due diligence.

I do appreciate all of your feedback.

I hope that what I mean by "the cygwin distribution" and "cygwin
packages" is now clear, at least, even if nothing else is.

cgf

* RE: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  6:35 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-08-29  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-08-29  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux; +Cc: cygwin

On 29 Aug 2001 15:09:46 +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

(*)

> > Bernard, I'm not sure how the above underlined comment, when combined
> > with....
<snip>
> It would be if the second statement was due to John...

Oops. Well that does make a difference! Remind be not to assume the >
imply the same author.

> In fact I think who's giving John's its paycheck has no importance here;
> he's producing and using open/free source code, so must obey the rules.

I didn't mean to imply paycheck creator, rather
use-to-which-code-is-put.

> The
> only thing I say is that he must not be suspected of not obeying them, as
> producing free source should deserve checking before complaining.

Absolutely agree. Interpretation is all, as usual.

> Not knowing what is scheduled is obscuring th edebate; knowing for example
> that there will be a change to the -src special handling (meaning some more
> general solution will be provided) makes perfect sense at refusing the
> -cygwin special handling, but was far from evident from the initial
> discussion.

You might want to subscribe to cygwin-developers to know what is
scheduled, or look in the archives. cygwin@cygwin.com is the general
discussion forum, and cygwin-apps is for ported applications. Setup.exe
is neither.

The problem with -src is that it a) precludes having multiple packages
which are created from the same source (ie libfoo (.dll and binaries) +
foo-devel (headers and .a files) come from foo-source - the -src
convention means we need libfoo-src + foo-devel-src which would be the
same file duplicated :[ and b) is non-inutitive to use in setup.exe -
how do you as a user install sshd-2.95p4 and download the source to
sshd-2.95p5 which has a bug you want to fix (which is why you want the
p4 binary)

So sources should be explicit metadata, not inferred from the name
metadata. As to how and when... thats a different story :}.

> OK, I can understand that, but the problem was not explained, just the fact
> that the feature was getting in the "mixed feelings" category which need
> further advice from developers.

And the developers (all ?5?6? for setup.exe) haven't had time to
comment. The whole thread occured whilst I was asleep... except maybe
John's inital request, which I read, and figured as I couldn't provide
an authoritative answer I'd just wait and see what came up before
jumping in.

> PS: Note that in the above message, only the every first quote was from me,
> while you seem to say that you were answering to my post...

Uhmm, late at work again? See (*) above :]

Rob

* RE: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-29  6:12 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-08-29  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Warren Young @ 2001-08-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

> However I must admit that, having read the original posting again, it does
> not positively says what is in the binary PRC-tools cygwin package; we just
> understand the term differently it seems.

I use PRC-Tools regularly, so let me try to add some light to this
heated discussion.  :)

I mainly use the Linux version of PRC-Tools, but the last time I used
the Windows version, it assumed that it was being installed into a
working Cygwin environment.  I'm sure this hasn't changed -- the
PRC-Tools people are only trying to change their installation
mechanism.  Since they assume a working Cygwin environment, setup.exe
should exist on users' systems, so trying to make it flexible enough to
go and fetch PRC-Tools is a reasonable thing to attempt.

The binary tools are built as patched versions of the native ones, and
they do depend on cygwin1.dll, so there is a GPL issue here, but the
PRC-Tools project is not re-distributing anything from Cygwin itself.
It only uses Cygwin code in the distributed binaries.

There should be no file conflicts, because the PRC-Tools are built with
entirely different prefixes.  It's a cross-compiler living on the same
system as the native compiler that built it.
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-28  6:00       ` John Marshall
From: John Marshall @ 2001-08-28  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Not surprising since this isn't a goal for setup.exe.  It's really only
>>> intended to install cygwin packages.

Okay, but the file I'm talking about *is* a Cygwin package, at least in
the sense in which I was naively using the words.  I was using "Cygwin
package" to mean "package using the Cygwin environment and installable
by Cygwin's setup.exe", i.e., "a file, like grep-2.4.2-1.tar.gz, which is
a [bg]zipped tarball containing executables and such in a /usr/bin, /etc
etc sort of directory hierarchy as described in
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00055.html." ;

> The PRC-Tools are not distributed from the cygwin web site.  They are
> not an official cygwin package.

Ah, so setup.exe is only intended to install *official* Cygwin packages,
it's not supposed to be a general installation tool.

That's fair enough.  But it seems a shame, because it's so close to
being that general tool.

I'm a vendor with a reasonably non-tiny package who supplies binary
packages for the convenience of the users.  It's a collection of
Unix applications, so of course on Windows we build it as Cygwin
applications.

On Linux, building an RPM is easy, and the users have tools to install
such beasts, so it's convenient to build the binary package as an RPM.

On Solaris, building a pkgadd package is not too horrifying, and the
users have tools to install such beasts, so it's convenient to build the
binary package as a pkgadd package.

On Cygwin, building a setup.exe-tarball is easy, and the users have a
tool to install such beasts, so it would be convenient to build the
binary package as a setup.exe-tarball.

In short, I want to think of setup.exe the same way as Bernard Dautrevaux:
as *the* package management tool for Cygwin.  (That's certainly what it
looks like it is when you use it!)

I understand that this was not one of the original design goals.  But it
seems to me that it would not be difficult and would be useful for Cygwin
users (and also for package distributors like me), so I want to open a
discussion on it.

I'm surprised that this seems to be a new thing.  I would have thought
that there would be lots of people wanting to do what I want to do
(distribute a binary package that runs in a Cygwin environment, but which
is not fundamental enough to be worth adding to the list of "official
Cygwin packages" hosted on the Cygwin web site).

People including me have suggested various workarounds that I could use.

Workarounds involving subdirectories and/or symlinks on the server are
in fact irrelevant, so I'm sorry I didn't adequately explain the problem
I'm really trying to address.  I can use symlinks or whatever to set up
whatever complicated stucture I like, but what I'm really trying to do
is avoid confusing the users.

[...]

In a perfect world, the Cygwin package naming convention would be
compatible with avoiding all this confusion.

@ 2001-08-28  0:14       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-08-28  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ok... I slept through most of this thread :}. I'm going to make a couple
of comments though... to no particular poster/answer.

On 27 Aug 2001 13:39:17 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bernard, I'm not sure how the above underlined comment, when combined
with....

> >> And a cygwin source package, hopefully, if you want to be in compliance
> >> with the GPL.
> >
> >Not so.  Section 3c of the GPL exempts noncommercial distributors from
> >having to carry the source.  They can simply point you to where they
> >downloaded the code themselves.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@ 2001-08-27 13:03 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-08-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 02:42:27PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Well, you have to expect some bitterness.  Count the number of problem
>reports generated by people who don't even use OUR setup to install
>cygwin itself.  Geez.

Here is what I said:

*>I'd have to get a ruling from other developers to see if this screws up
*>anything else.  I've got mixed feelings about putting concessions for
*>other packages in setup.  It isn't really supposed to be a general
*>purpose installation tool.

This is the second time in a couple of months that I've gotten a violent
reaction to my suggesting that I'd ask for other people's input.  I
really don't get it.

cgf

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-27 11:42 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-08-27 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux; +Cc: cygwin

Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

> Yeah, I agree, but in all places I know everyone, especially someone without
> a police record, is presumed innocent...

<gratuitous political inflammatory remark>
except here in the USA, w.r.t. the IRS.  Or the drug "war".  Or when
carrying large sums of cash.  Or when driving-while-black.
</gratuitus political inflammatory remark>
   -- but please don't respond on-list; email me if you want.

> What I've read in the original posting was a discussion of how setup could
> be enhaced to allow installation of unofficial cygwin packages, TOGETHER
> WITH A PATCH and almost a firm commitment to rework it if it proves
> unacceptable.

There were two patches.  One was appropriate and was accepted.  The
other was held in abeyance pending further discussion.  (Also, given
that MASSIVE changes have recently happened to setup, yet VERY FEW
people have tested them, the developers are a bit leary --at this
point-- to adding yet more stuff, until the current <untested> stuff
sees wider use.  (New setup should be available RSN))

> I've heard so much answer in the line of "Please provide a patch" for
> proposal of enhancements to setup.exe (and I perfectly understand that) that
> I was a bit bitten by the answer done to a proposal that was carefully
> explained and supplemented by a patch, which was in the line of "We have not
> expected you to use setup.exe for anything else than for what we design it,
> so your proposal was not interesting".

Well, you have to expect some bitterness.  Count the number of problem
reports generated by people who don't even use OUR setup to install
cygwin itself.  Geez.

Also, the MAIN motivation for the unaccepted patch was "I don't like the
  your naming scheme."  (e.g. I want to name my package
latter is too similar to our existing source tarball name
"foo-<ver>.tar.gz". <umm, how about foo-cygwin-<ver>-<rev>.tar.gz?  No
setup changes required!>  Also, since our source tarball is named
foo-<ver>.tar.gz, I don't want to provide a duplicate named
foo-<ver>-src.tar.gz -- <umm, ever heard of symlinks?>)

Name parsing, as simple as the concept is, is quite difficult to get
right.  We have a proposal to gratuitously muck with name parsing -- for
an insufficiently-supported reason, for which there are obvious
alternatives that don't require mucking with setup.

(Plus, the discussion degenerated into a fight over GPL compliance; very
little of this thread actually deals directly with the aforementioned patch)

> Please let me be clear: I understand all of you when you answer "requests
> for enhancement" by a "why don't you do it yourself: setup is open source".
> But rebuffing someone that *offers* to do the job, and even propose a first
> possible patch, by just saying "setup was not expected to be used that way"
> is a bit brutal.

Perhaps, but part of "maintaining" is being discriminating about what
patches are allowed in.  Perhaps "we" can be a bit more politic --
"setup is going through changes right now, please ask again after things
have settled" or "Your case for this proposal is not convincing.  Please
take this to cygwin-developers and we'll discuss it"

OTOH, it takes a thick skin to work on a public mailing list; if you
can't take the heat....  Anyway, the cygwin list is remarkably free of
flames given the disparity in experience levels shown by the
subscribers.  For some entertainment, read linux-kernel sometime...

--Chuck

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-27 11:37 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-27 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 08:01:59PM +0200, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

I was not ranting.  I stated a fact.  I did not do it rudely.  If you or
anyone took a statement of fact as rudeness then you have reading skills
problems.   There may be a mailing list that will deal with this but
this is not it.

(In case you are wondering *that* was a rude comment.  You might want to
compare and contrast to see if you can see the difference)

>> It's really only
>> >
>> >What makes PRC-Tools "not a Cygwin package" and, say, tcltk "a Cygwin
>> >package"?  Both are programming language systems that live within the
>> >Cygwin environment.
>>
>> The PRC-Tools are not distributed from the cygwin web site.  They are
>> not an official cygwin package.  Do I really have to explain this?
>
>So, setup.exe is *restricted* to install *official* cygwin packages? a bit
>too harsh I think.

Wow.  Density prevails. (more rudeness)

HANDLING OTHER DISTRIBUTIONS IS NOT A GOAL OF THE CYGWIN SETUP UTILITY.

Did you happen to read the part where I said "I"d have to get a ruling
from the other developers..."?

I also suggested a couple of ways to work around this without modifying
setup.exe.  I assume that you missed those, too.

>>It apparently isn't clear to you that "Cygwin's own installation tools"
>>were meant to install, um, the cygwin packages from the cygwin web site
>>and mirrors.  They don't have accomodations for using other web sites
>>or being bundled as part of a larger package.  That is what I was
>>saying above.
>
>Was that a "for now and ever" position, and are then patches to allow
>to install "unofficial" cygwin packages with setup.exe forcibly
>refused?

You've really lost a lot of state from my original message and are
assigning positions to me that I never took.  I said I had "mixed
feelings", which is certainly my right.  I said that it would require "a
ruling" from other developers.  This would indicate that I was willing
to support other distributions.

Any change to setup.exe entails some support overhead.  Adding the
proposed patch may also not be the right way to handle this.  The other

@ 2001-08-27 11:16 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-08-27 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > "Why are you giving me a hard time! I'm a free software
> project!".  Yes,
> > we hear this from time to time.  The GPL is a legal binding
> document.
> > If you want to use it, you should be in compliance with it.
>  You don't
> > get to ignore it because you consider yourself "one of the
> good guys".
> > It would be nice if life worked that way, but it doesn't.
>

> Yep.  There ain't no sech thing as a "good guys get-out-of-jail-free"
> clause in the GPL.

Yeah, I agree, but in all places I know everyone, especially someone without
a police record, is presumed innocent...

> > It apparently isn't clear to you that "Cygwin's own
> installation tools"
> > were meant to install, um, the cygwin packages from the
> cygwin web site
> > and mirrors.  They don't have accomodations for using other
> web sites or
> > being bundled as part of a larger package.  That is what I
> was saying
> > above.
>

> But remember, setup is open source.  You can grab the sources, modify
> them to your heart's content, and distribute THAT version of setup to
> install your cygwin-based add-on packages.  (or just name
> your package
> "prc-tools-cygwin-<version>.tar.gz")

What I've read in the original posting was a discussion of how setup could
be enhaced to allow installation of unofficial cygwin packages, TOGETHER
WITH A PATCH and almost a firm commitment to rework it if it proves
unacceptable.

I've heard so much answer in the line of "Please provide a patch" for
proposal of enhancements to setup.exe (and I perfectly understand that) that
I was a bit bitten by the answer done to a proposal that was carefully
explained and supplemented by a patch, which was in the line of "We have not
expected you to use setup.exe for anything else than for what we design it,
so your proposal was not interesting".

> BTW, XEmacs did exactly this:  they're using a *heavily* modified
> version of cygwin's setup for distributing both the cygwin-
> and native-
> versions of XEmacs (they also have other "shrink-wrap" style
> installers
> for the native XEmacs).

Yes, but this is a bit different: They use a modified "setup" program to
install XEmacs *everywhere*. The *everywhere* mandates adapting a
cygwin-only installer. But using it to install, on a pre-existing cygwin
installation, a new cygwin package (amthough an unofficial one) seems to be
an use for which setup.exe should be *recommended*, not disdainfully
rejected by saying, "Sorry, I do not think you should do that".

Please let me be clear: I understand all of you when you answer "requests
for enhancement" by a "why don't you do it yourself: setup is open source".
But rebuffing someone that *offers* to do the job, and even propose a first
possible patch, by just saying "setup was not expected to be used that way"
is a bit brutal.

Regards,

@ 2001-08-27 11:03 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-08-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> tarball, a few binary
> >>
> >> And a cygwin source package, hopefully, if you want to be
> in compliance
> >> with the GPL.
> >
> >Not so.  Section 3c of the GPL exempts noncommercial
> distributors from
> >having to carry the source.  They can simply point you to where they
> >downloaded the code themselves.
>
> You mean this section:
>
>     c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
>     to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
>     allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
>     received the program in object code or executable form with such
>     an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
>
> Who made the offer to continue to include the sources to whatever is
> being distributed?  Not me.  I don't want to have to track the PRC
> project and make sure that I don't delete, say, the Cygwin 1.3.2
> sources because they are still using them.

I think there'(s a bit of misunderstanding here: What john says was that it
was distributing:
	several binary distributions of PRC-tools (as cygwin tarballs and
RPMs)
	one source distribution of PRC-tools (as a source tarball)

He thus complies with the GPL.

Note that he explicitely says he was NOT distributing Cygwin, just provide a
proper setup.ini so that the setup.exe used to install Cygwin from the
official cygwin web site (or any other source AFAAIC).

I don't see where there would be ANY GPL concern with this (although, as
usual, IANAL).

> >You shouldn't give John a hard time; the PRC-Tools project is a free
> >software project in much the same spirit as Cygwin.  In fact, the two
> >projects are very similar: a GCC port to a non-Unix
> platform, for making
> >binaries native to that platform.
>
> "Why are you giving me a hard time! I'm a free software
> project!".  Yes,
> we hear this from time to time.  The GPL is a legal binding document.
> If you want to use it, you should be in compliance with it.  You don't
> get to ignore it because you consider yourself "one of the good guys".
> It would be nice if life worked that way, but it doesn't.

IMHO John is perfectly complying with the GPL. What I would say is, rather
than "don't be ruide with me, I'm a free project programmer" would be "Don't
start thinking I will not comply with the GPL for your product; I'm already
complying for mine, so check before ranting :-)"

> >Now, if John were still working for Palm and posting from a palm.com
> >address, you'd be justified in being picky about the GPL.
> But he's not,
> >and you shouldn't.

I'm not sure I agree; there is people working for commercial companies
producing GPL code and complying with the GPL; I think you know some :-)

> >> Not surprising since this isn't a goal for setup.exe.
> It's really only
> >> intended to install cygwin packages.
> >
> >What makes PRC-Tools "not a Cygwin package" and, say, tcltk "a Cygwin
> >package"?  Both are programming language systems that live within the
> >Cygwin environment.
>
> The PRC-Tools are not distributed from the cygwin web site.  They are
> not an official cygwin package.  Do I really have to explain this?

So, setup.exe is *restricted* to install *official* cygwin packages? a bit
too harsh I think.

> >> I've got mixed feelings about putting concessions for
> >> other packages in setup.  It isn't really supposed to be a
> general purpose
> >> installation tool.
> >
> >Keep in mind, this isn't a case of using setup.exe to install a
> >standalone package.  PRC-Tools on Windows is always used
> inside a Cygwin
> >environment.  John is just trying to make it simpler to make
> a PRC-Tools
> >distribution tarball that Cygwin's own installation tools will accept
> >and install.
>
> Yes, that was perfectly clear.  Obviously, the whole reason
> for contacting
> the cygwin mailing list was that PRC tools use Cygwin.  That
> makes them
> a package that uses cygwin.  It doesn't automatically make
> them an official
> cygwin package.  Any more than saying that some package that uses RPM
> is an official part of the Red Hat distribution.
>
> It apparently isn't clear to you that "Cygwin's own
> installation tools"
> were meant to install, um, the cygwin packages from the
> cygwin web site
> and mirrors.  They don't have accomodations for using other
> web sites or
> being bundled as part of a larger package.  That is what I was saying
> above.

Was that a "for now and ever" position, and are then patches to allow to
install "unofficial" cygwin packages with setup.exe forcibly refused?

I personally would have think of setup.exe as *the* tool to manage a cygwin
installation, like rpm is *the* tool to manage a Red Hat linux install or
addpkg is *the* tool to manage a Solaris (or is it an HPux) system. That,
for me, has meant that i should try to provide my own packages in a form
suitable for installation/uninstallation by setup.exe.

If I'm wrong, I will then try to use RPM or some other fancy installer and
have to tinker it to be able to pick cygwin configuration data so that I
install my package in a sensible way, with sensible defaults, in an exsiting
cygwin install... Phew, do I really need to do that? ;-(

	Regards

@ 2001-08-27 10:52       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-08-27 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> "Why are you giving me a hard time! I'm a free software project!".  Yes,
> we hear this from time to time.  The GPL is a legal binding document.
> If you want to use it, you should be in compliance with it.  You don't
> get to ignore it because you consider yourself "one of the good guys".
> It would be nice if life worked that way, but it doesn't.

Yep.  There ain't no sech thing as a "good guys get-out-of-jail-free"
clause in the GPL.

> It apparently isn't clear to you that "Cygwin's own installation tools"
> were meant to install, um, the cygwin packages from the cygwin web site
> and mirrors.  They don't have accomodations for using other web sites or
> being bundled as part of a larger package.  That is what I was saying
> above.

But remember, setup is open source.  You can grab the sources, modify
them to your heart's content, and distribute THAT version of setup to
install your cygwin-based add-on packages.  (or just name your package
"prc-tools-cygwin-<version>.tar.gz")

BTW, XEmacs did exactly this:  they're using a *heavily* modified
version of cygwin's setup for distributing both the cygwin- and native-
versions of XEmacs (they also have other "shrink-wrap" style installers
for the native XEmacs).

--Chuck

* Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-27 10:39     ` Christopher Faylor
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-27 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-08-27  3:39   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-08-27  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >On our
> >SourceForge downloads page we distribute a source tarball, a few binary
> >RPMs, and a Cygwin binary package.
>
> And a cygwin source package, hopefully, if you want to be in compliance
> with the GPL.

Not so.  Section 3c of the GPL exempts noncommercial distributors from
having to carry the source.  They can simply point you to where they
downloaded the code themselves.

You shouldn't give John a hard time; the PRC-Tools project is a free
software project in much the same spirit as Cygwin.  In fact, the two
projects are very similar: a GCC port to a non-Unix platform, for making
binaries native to that platform.

Now, if John were still working for Palm and posting from a palm.com
address, you'd be justified in being picky about the GPL.  But he's not,
and you shouldn't.

> Not surprising since this isn't a goal for setup.exe.  It's really only
> intended to install cygwin packages.

What makes PRC-Tools "not a Cygwin package" and, say, tcltk "a Cygwin
package"?  Both are programming language systems that live within the
Cygwin environment.

> I've got mixed feelings about putting concessions for
> other packages in setup.  It isn't really supposed to be a general purpose
> installation tool.

Keep in mind, this isn't a case of using setup.exe to install a
standalone package.  PRC-Tools on Windows is always used inside a Cygwin
environment.  John is just trying to make it simpler to make a PRC-Tools
distribution tarball that Cygwin's own installation tools will accept
and install.
--
= Warren Young, maintainer of the Palm OS Programmer's FAQ at:
=     http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/palm/faq/

@ 2001-08-26 10:46 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-08-26 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 08:50:19AM +0100, John Marshall wrote:
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/setup.html says
>
>   Recommended package versioning scheme: use the vendor's version plus a
>   suffix  for ports of existing packages (i.e. bash 2.04 becomes 2.04-1,
>   2.04-2,  etc,  until bash 2.05 is ported, which would be 2.05-1, etc).
>   For  experimental  builds,  use  a  YYYYMMDD  datestamp  version (like
>   bash-20000901.tar.gz).  Binary  tarballs  are "package-version.tar.gz"
>   while source tarballs are "package-version-src.tar.gz".
>
>Hi, I'm a vendor. :-)
>
>I'm the maintainer of prc-tools, which is a big nasty package
>encapsulating GCC and a few other tools targetting Palm OS.  On our
>SourceForge downloads page we distribute a source tarball, a few binary
>RPMs, and a Cygwin binary package.

And a cygwin source package, hopefully, if you want to be in compliance
with the GPL.  If you are providing cygwin1.dll, you must provide sources
for cygwin1.dll.  If you are providing any other binaries that use cygwin1.dll
you most provide sources for them, also.

>However, setup.exe's package naming convention doesn't work especially
>well when an original vendor like me is producing a Cygwin package.

Not surprising since this isn't a goal for setup.exe.  It's really only
intended to install cygwin packages.

>For example, for version 2.1, we (will) have
>
>	source tarball		prc-tools-2.1.tar.gz
>	Linux x86 RPM		prc-tools-2.1-1.i386.rpm
>	Cygwin package		um...  that's why I'm writing...
>
>The problem is that the Cygwin package filename doesn't say "cygwin"
>anywhere.  I don't much want to call it "prc-tools-2.1-1.tar.gz" because
>that's too similar to the source tarball's name and will cause confusion.
>It would be nice if the convention allowed a filename that was a bit more
>self-identifying.  And because we're the vendor, we don't much want to
>have a separate "prc-tools-2.1-1-src.tar.gz" because it'll be exactly the
>same as the main source tarball.

Sounds like a separate subdirectory would solve the problem.

>So far, I've been calling the binary tarball "prc-tools-2.1-cygwin.tar.gz",
>and listing the two in our setup.ini as:
>
>	@ prc-tools
>	version: 2.1
>	install: contrib/prc-tools/prc-tools-2.1-cygwin.tar.gz 3988138
>	source: contrib/prc-tools/prc-tools-2.1.tar.gz 284098
>
>This works well in the "Install from Internet" case.  However, in the
>"Install from Local Directory" case (with or without a setup.ini file)
>do_choose() does a directory scan and finds something whose version it
>thinks is "2.1-cygwin" and things get confusing (I can go into details
>if you want -- and in the case of the source package things get very
>confused indeed).  You get the funky version number when you rerun
>setup.exe, perhaps to uninstall prc-tools, too.

I.e., the version mechanism is doing what it was designed to do.  If you
are going to put a cygwin after the numeric version, it will interpret
the cygwin as part of the version.

>Or I could change the version line to "version: 2.1-cygwin" and train
>the users to believe that when setup.exe says "2.1-cygwin" it really is
>the same as version "2.1".  But that's a bit ugly.

Why not just put the cygwin- first rather than last?  Or use a subdirectory?

>For my purposes, it would be nice if parse_filename() treated "-cygwin"
>as not part of the version, similarly to "-src" and "-patch".  I've been
>playing with this patch:
>
>--- choose.cc.orig	Fri Aug 17 14:01:22 2001
>+++ choose.cc	Fri Aug 24 14:40:47 2001
>@@ -1280,6 +1280,10 @@ parse_filename (const char *in_fn, filep
> 	  p = f.pkgtar + (p - fn) + 6;
> 	  memcpy (p - 6, p, strlen (p));
> 	}
>+      else if ((p -= 1) >= ver && strcasecmp (p, "-cygwin") == 0)
>+	{
>+	  *p = '\0';
>+	}
>     }
>
>   strcpy (f.ver, *ver ? ver : "0.0");
>
>which makes it treat "package-version-cygwin.tar.gz" just the same as
>"package-version.tar.gz".  This works very nicely, presenting the
>unadorned "2.1" version number even in the "download just the one file
>and point setup at it" case.
>
>So now I'm wondering whether you folks might think something like that
>would be an acceptable idea...

I'd have to get a ruling from other developers to see if this screws
up anything else.  I've got mixed feelings about putting concessions for
other packages in setup.  It isn't really supposed to be a general purpose
installation tool.

>Using "Install from Local Directory" on a directory containing a single
>file named prc-tools-2.1-cygwin.tar.gz worked in setup 2.57.  But in the
>current 2.78.2.3 you get "Nothing to Install/Update" because fromcwd.cc
>has a bug where it creates a Package record for each file it sees, but
>with a random package name.  Later scan2() looks for a record with the
>right name, doesn't find one, and so doesn't set any existence flags.
>Then the randomly named package winds up being excluded by
>set_existence(), and there's nothing left :-(.
>
>It's easily fixed:
>
>--- fromcwd.cc.orig	Sun May 27 08:05:09 2001
>+++ fromcwd.cc	Fri Aug 24 14:42:31 2001
>@@ -87,7 +87,6 @@ static void
> found_file (char *path, unsigned int fsize)
> {
>   fileparse f;
>-  char base[_MAX_PATH];
>
>   if (!parse_filename (path, f))
>     return;
>@@ -104,7 +103,7 @@ found_file (char *path, unsigned int fsi
>       }
>
>   if (p == NULL)
>-      p = new_package (strdup (base));
>+      p = new_package (f.pkg);
>
>   int trust = is_test_version (f.ver) ? TRUST_TEST : TRUST_CURR;
>

>(This is against the current CVS HEAD, in which new_package() strdups its
>name parameter itself.)

Thanks for the patch.  I've applied it to CVS.

cgf

* On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug
@ 2001-08-26  0:51 John Marshall
From: John Marshall @ 2001-08-26  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: prc-tools-devel

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/setup.html says

   Recommended package versioning scheme: use the vendor's version plus a
   suffix  for ports of existing packages (i.e. bash 2.04 becomes 2.04-1,
   2.04-2,  etc,  until bash 2.05 is ported, which would be 2.05-1, etc).
   For  experimental  builds,  use  a  YYYYMMDD  datestamp  version (like
   bash-20000901.tar.gz).  Binary  tarballs  are "package-version.tar.gz"
   while source tarballs are "package-version-src.tar.gz".

Hi, I'm a vendor. :-)

I'm the maintainer of prc-tools, which is a big nasty package
encapsulating GCC and a few other tools targetting Palm OS.  On our
SourceForge downloads page we distribute a source tarball, a few binary
RPMs, and a Cygwin binary package.

Way back when, producing something our users could install with Cygwin
B20.1 was a nightmare involving InstallShield.  But I'm very happy these
days that I just have to make tarballs that are usable with Cygwin's
shiny new setup.exe utility.  I've been telling people to download the
package from SourceForge into an empty directory (i.e., without any
setup.ini lying around) and then use setup.exe's "Install from Local
Directory" (which doesn't work anymore: see below), and lately I've been
playing with having our own setup.ini file that lists just our package,
and telling the users to use our website as a setup.exe "Other URL"
mirror, which is even easier for them.

[...]

The source tarball is harder to solve.  But I'm not too worried about
that:  I think the best thing to do will probably be just to not list a
source tarball in our setup.ini file, and get the little N/A box instead
of a Source? checkbox.  Cygwin people who want the source code can just
download the source tarball from the downloads web page just like
anybody else.  So we don't need to do anything special.