* Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 15:30 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    You ask why not? Let me answer that with a question. How many people
    do you know that have a news reader but don't have an email client?
    Chances are that it's slim to none while on the other hand you'll
    have a great number of people that don't have a news reader but do
    have email.

News reading clients are a dime a dozen. Many, if not most, people
already have them though may not be aware that they do.

    Using a news server for something that people aren't forced to use
    will limit your subscriber base simply because there are those, such
    as myself, that just don't have the time to fool with finding a good
    reader, learn it, and then use it accordingly. As they say, two
    heads are better than one, but when you start using a format that is
    foreign to a majority of the internet masses you're going to start
    limiting your creative pool.

In general, news was invented precisely for what this email based list
is trying to do: Discuss stuff. The "limitations" you suggest did not
stop companies like Netscape, Twelve Tone Systems, Microsoft, Spamcop
and GRC from setting up news servers. Reading news is *NOT* that hard to do.

    Just to belay the comments on this, no one needs to suggest that
    Outlook Express comes with a news reader because I've toyed with it,
    and from my experience and from what I've been told by others, it's
    a joke of a reader.

Lots of readers are jokes to some and serious tools to others. I, for
example, think Outlook is a joke but it is used by a ton of people. Pick
your favorite client. There are good ones.

    As for your issue with corrupted messages, why not just switch to
    regular delivery and setup your mail client to move all messages
    from this list into a folder of it's own? A good email client will
    even sort email messages based on subject similar to that of the
    method a news server stores messages. It's just my opinion, but as
    far as I can see the only real advantage to using 'news' instead of
    a listserv is that you're not wasting bandwidth on people that
    aren't even reading the list.

Because I do not feel like having to pour though a ton of messages
wasting space on my systems to weed out the junk and have to manage
cleaning up all the stuff I'm not interested it. News servers were
created exactly to address this issue. It is the medium developed
exactly for what we are trying to do here. Am I so wrong to ask why we
are not using the medium?!?.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 15:43 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria, cygwin

At 06:30 PM 2/5/2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Because I do not feel like having to pour though a ton of messages wasting space on my systems to weed out the junk and have to manage cleaning up all the stuff I'm not interested it. News servers were created exactly to address this issue. It is the medium developed exactly for what we are trying to do here. Am I so wrong to ask why we are not using the medium?!?.

No.  However, if you're looking for the answer to the question, you're
going to have to review this thread (and others like it).  I appreciate
your need to organize your messages in a way that's convenient for you
but I'm not going to repeat what's already been said on this issue in
this thread and others like it.

Hopefully everyone is now clear as to why there is not already a news
server for Cygwin.  If you are not and are curious, please review the
list archives to find the answer.  It's time this thread died until
someone is ready to do more than talk about the need or benefits of
a news server.  When that point is reached, I'm sure we'll all appreciate
the single email message to this list that it takes to announce the
existence of the new service.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 16:05 ` Christopher Faylor
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrew

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:30:25PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>News servers were created exactly to address this issue.  It is the
>medium developed exactly for what we are trying to do here.  Am I so
>wrong to ask why we are not using the medium?!?.

As a wild guess, I suppose because a newsgroup isn't available?

If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
the cygwin web site.

I'd suggest that you gateway the cygwin mailing list into news, and
vice versa.  That would probably be optimum.

I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
once you've gotten your service set up.

cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 16:19   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:30:25PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>>News servers were created exactly to address this issue.  It is the
>>medium developed exactly for what we are trying to do here.  Am I so
>>wrong to ask why we are not using the medium?!?.
>>
>As a wild guess, I suppose because a newsgroup isn't available?
>
>If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
>you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
>the cygwin web site.
>
>I'd suggest that you gateway the cygwin mailing list into news, and
>vice versa.  That would probably be optimum.
>
>I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
>once you've gotten your service set up.
>
>cgf

As I just got through mentioning to Larry I would take a shot at setting
it up however I lack the resources (a machine, the software and the
space). Hosting this from my home PC is probably not a good idea.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 16:35   ` James Potts (Arek)
From: James Potts (Arek) @ 2002-02-05 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrew

> I'd suggest that you gateway the cygwin mailing list into news, and
> vice versa.  That would probably be optimum.

Great idea, but it has to be done right - you can't just forward a raw news
message to the mailing list.  Some news/e-mail clients (Outlook Express, for
example) will try to open it as a news message, which messes things up.

Just a word of caution to anybody considering setting up a news server for
the cygwin mailing list(s).

James Potts
(james@verge-rpg.com)

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 17:35     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:36:23PM -0600, James Potts (Arek) wrote:
>>I'd suggest that you gateway the cygwin mailing list into news, and
>>vice versa.  That would probably be optimum.
>
>Great idea, but it has to be done right - you can't just forward a raw
>news message to the mailing list.  Some news/e-mail clients (Outlook
>Express, for example) will try to open it as a news message, which
>messes things up.

I assume that anyone who does this will use one of the programs available
for handling this type of thing.

cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 17:44     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:19:15PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:30:25PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>>News servers were created exactly to address this issue.  It is the
>>>medium developed exactly for what we are trying to do here.  Am I so
>>>wrong to ask why we are not using the medium?!?.
>>
>>As a wild guess, I suppose because a newsgroup isn't available?
>>
>>If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
>>you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
>>the cygwin web site.
>>
>>I'd suggest that you gateway the cygwin mailing list into news, and
>>vice versa.  That would probably be optimum.
>>
>>I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
>>once you've gotten your service set up.
>>
>As I just got through mentioning to Larry I would take a shot at
>setting it up however I lack the resources (a machine, the software and
>the space).  Hosting this from my home PC is probably not a good idea.

Maybe you should investigate the internet and see if there is a site
available which provides this type of service.  A quick scan of google.com
seems to indicate that there are some sites which will do this for free.

cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-17  5:39   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-02-17  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrew

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:

> If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
> you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
> the cygwin web site.

There is a nntp gateway of this group at

      < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin >

> I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
> once you've gotten your service set up.

      < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.discuss >

is the place to discuss the gmane groups.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-17 15:52     ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-02-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I will say my 2c once again, I am rather glad to have this setup because I
believe it will allow for a lot more than simply an e-mail group. Often
times I am thinking about something about a month or two after it has been
discussed, and frankly an nntp server group is easier to search than some
mailing list archives. One reason is that a person can use which ever front
end reader they prefer, including most of the ones that are part of Un*x to
read e-mail. I had been using pine for the group, now I have OE 6.0 which is
the one I would rather have.

As far as the info to have on the cygwin website, how about the stuff that I
had attached in my message, telling people how to get to the newsgroup,
Christopher?
--
Sincerely,
Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu

  1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

"Per Abrahamsen" <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote in message
> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
> > you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
> > the cygwin web site.
>
> There is a nntp gateway of this group at
>
>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin >
>
> > I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
> > once you've gotten your service set up.
>
>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.discuss >
>
> is the place to discuss the gmane groups.
>

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-17 17:57       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please go to http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item.

cgf

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 04:54:02PM -0700, Daniel Adams wrote:
>I will say my 2c once again, I am rather glad to have this setup because I
>believe it will allow for a lot more than simply an e-mail group. Often
>times I am thinking about something about a month or two after it has been
>discussed, and frankly an nntp server group is easier to search than some
>mailing list archives. One reason is that a person can use which ever front
>end reader they prefer, including most of the ones that are part of Un*x to
>read e-mail. I had been using pine for the group, now I have OE 6.0 which is
>the one I would rather have.
>
>As far as the info to have on the cygwin website, how about the stuff that I
>had attached in my message, telling people how to get to the newsgroup,
>Christopher?
>--
>Sincerely,
>Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu
>http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3
>
>  1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
>serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
>
>"Per Abrahamsen" <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> wrote in message
>> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>>
>> > If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
>> > you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
>> > the cygwin web site.
>>
>> There is a nntp gateway of this group at
>>
>>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin >
>>
>> > I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
>> > once you've gotten your service set up.
>>
>>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.discuss >
>>
>> is the place to discuss the gmane groups.
>>

>> --
>>

>--

Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-18  9:27     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
>

>>If you feel this strongly about a news server then I see no reason why
>>you shouldn't set one up.  I'll be happy to advertise the service on
>>the cygwin web site.
>>

> There is a nntp gateway of this group at
>
>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin >
>
>>I have several other great ideas which I'll be happy to share with you
>>once you've gotten your service set up.
>>

>       < nntp://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.discuss >
>
> is the place to discuss the gmane groups.

Ah, much better! One word though: nntp: is not a valid protocol! It's
news://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin not

@ 2002-02-19 15:47         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-19 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Please go to http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item.

Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
this very minor thing.

cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 14:29           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-03-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:29:45PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Please go to http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item.
>
>Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
>this very minor thing.

Still waiting...

cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 14:46             ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-03-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Uhh, news://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin.

This server has been setup for several weeks now.

--

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:29:45PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Please go to http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item.
> >
> >Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
> >this very minor thing.
>
> Still waiting...
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 14:50               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-03-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 03:48:29PM -0700, Daniel Adams wrote:
>Uhh, news://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin.
>
>This server has been setup for several weeks now.

Uhhhhh.  Try reading my message again.

cgf

>--
>Sincerely,
>Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu
>http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3
>
>  1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
>serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
>
>"Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
>> >this very minor thing.
>>
>> Still waiting...

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 14:58             ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-02 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Daniel Adams

Chris,

I was about to ask this:

-==-
Not that I have anything to announce, but just how does one "post a news
item" on the Cygwin Web site? I went to the home page and the news page
(<http://cygwin.com/news.html>), but saw nothing that permits one to submit
a new news item.
-==-

But finally found the link <http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html>.

Perhaps you don't want to encourage a flood of news postings, but the link
is not the sort of thing to jump out at one.

Perhaps Daniel Adams also overlooked this link.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 14:29 2002-03-02, you wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:29:45PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Please go to http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item.
> >
> >Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
> >this very minor thing.
>
>Still waiting...
>
>cgf

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 15:07               ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Adams; +Cc: cygwin

"Still waiting" --- for a news item to be posted on the main cygwin.org
homepage announcing the nntp group availability.  Sure, posting that
"the server has been setup for several weeks now" in the mailing list is
good and all -- but...

go here:
http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html
and post an announcement for your new service.  (Yes, there is a link on
the main cygwin home page that says "post new news" and leads to the URL
supplied above).

I'm not gonna do it, because I didn't set it up, and don't really know
anything about it.  I'm sure cgf feels the same way.

He asked that the person who established this service please post an
announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several weeks
later.

--Chuck

Daniel Adams wrote:

> Uhh, news://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin.
>
> This server has been setup for several weeks now.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu
> http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3
>
>   1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
> serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
>
> "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote in message

>>>Hmm.  I guess the excitement about this doesn't extend to actually doing
>>>this very minor thing.
>>>
>>Still waiting...
>>
>>cgf
>>
>>--
>>

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 15:10                 ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-03-02 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am not the person who made the request and had the server set up. I am
simply just an advocate of the whold idea of a news server.

    Would the person who did set it up, please step forward and post to the
cygwin.com website.

--

"Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote in message
> "Still waiting" --- for a news item to be posted on the main cygwin.org
> homepage announcing the nntp group availability.  Sure, posting that
> "the server has been setup for several weeks now" in the mailing list is
> good and all -- but...
>
> go here:
> http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html
> and post an announcement for your new service.  (Yes, there is a link on
> the main cygwin home page that says "post new news" and leads to the URL
> supplied above).
>
> I'm not gonna do it, because I didn't set it up, and don't really know
> anything about it.  I'm sure cgf feels the same way.
>
> He asked that the person who established this service please post an
> announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several weeks
> later.
>
> --Chuck
>
> Daniel Adams wrote:
>
> > Uhh, news://quimby.gnus.org/gmane.os.cygwin.
> >
> > This server has been setup for several weeks now.
> >
> > --
> > Sincerely,
> > Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu
> > http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3
> >
> >   1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received
> > serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
> >
> > "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote in message

> >>Still waiting...
> >>
> >>cgf
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> > --
> >

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 15:20                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-03-02 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> He asked that the person who established this service please post an
> announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several
> weeks later.

Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
that.

Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> writes:
> Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
> searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
> earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002).

Indeed -- that's when the test period was over and gmane.org was
started properly.  As for searching, that's something that will be
added at a later date, when there's something to search there.
(Probably by implementing the NNTP searching extensions, or perhaps by
slapping a web search interface on top of the news spool.  We'll see.)

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 15:31                   ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-03-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I went ahead and posted it to the cygwin.com thing.

--

"Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen" <larsi@gnus.org> wrote in message
> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>
> > He asked that the person who established this service please post an
> > announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several
> > weeks later.
>
> Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
> can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
> this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
> something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
> that.
>
> Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> writes:
> > Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
> > searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
> > earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002).
>
> Indeed -- that's when the test period was over and gmane.org was
> started properly.  As for searching, that's something that will be
> added at a later date, when there's something to search there.
> (Probably by implementing the NNTP searching extensions, or perhaps by
> slapping a web search interface on top of the news spool.  We'll see.)
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    larsi@gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
>

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 15:33                   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-02 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: cygwin

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>

>>He asked that the person who established this service please post an
>>announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several
>>weeks later.
>>

> Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
> can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
> this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
> something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
> that.

Sigh.

Lars, read carefully:

Please announce the existence of your news gateway by posting a news
item on the cgywin WEB PAGE.  Where people who are NOT subscribed to the
mailing list will see it (that's the whole point of your nntp service,
right?)

Posting the announcement here on the mailing list will do very little
good -- we already use the mailing list, very few of us are going to
switch.  Besides, we all already know it exists, thanks to this
interminable thread.

To post an announcment on the CYGWIN WEB PAGE, go to THIS link (which
you would have found on the main cygwin home page had you looked for it):

http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html

*I* will not do this -- it's not my place to announce your contribution.
  Chris obviously felt the same way -- which is why he asked YOU to post
an announcement ON THE CYGWIN WEB PAGE several weeks ago.

But you did not.  Why?  And why are you being stubborn now?

--Chuck

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 16:02                     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-02 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>>

>>> He asked that the person who established this service please post an
>>> announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several
>>> weeks later.
>>>

>> Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
>> can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
>> this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
>> something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
>> that.
>

> Sigh.
>
> Lars, read carefully:
>
> Please announce the existence of your news gateway by posting a news
> item on the cgywin WEB PAGE.  Where people who are NOT subscribed to the
> mailing list will see it (that's the whole point of your nntp service,
> right?)
>
> Posting the announcement here on the mailing list will do very little
> good -- we already use the mailing list, very few of us are going to
> switch.  Besides, we all already know it exists, thanks to this
> interminable thread.
>
> To post an announcment on the CYGWIN WEB PAGE, go to THIS link (which
> you would have found on the main cygwin home page had you looked for it):
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html
>
> *I* will not do this -- it's not my place to announce your contribution.
>  Chris obviously felt the same way -- which is why he asked YOU to post
> an announcement ON THE CYGWIN WEB PAGE several weeks ago.
>
> But you did not.  Why?  And why are you being stubborn now?

Talk about being stubborn! The guy said he didn't want to do it. He doesn't care about it.
If you care then you do OK?

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 16:30                       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-02 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: cygwin

Andrew, Lars said

"I don't follow this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to
announce something ******for this mailing list******, I'm probably not
the person to do that." [emphasis added]

Fair enough.  BUT, posting an announcemnt on the WEBPAGE is NOT "for
this mailing list".  It's for his damn nntp gateway.  Perhaps using the
mailing list to relay a request to Lars was not appropriate -- since he
doesn't follow the list.  But he sure followed it enough to realize that
there was a gap which he could fill -- when he created the service three
weeks ago (which was when cgf asked him to post an announcement).  He
was proactive enough to set up the service.  But not to post the
announcement using the facilities provided and referenced by the project
administrator (cgf).  Go figure.

Supposedly, Lars set this nntp thing up as a service to the cygwin
community. Hmmm,  let's think,  how would you tell the community
something about a new "service"...well, you'd either

   a) post an announcement on the mailing list,
     --- but, this nntp service is specifically for those people who
don't like using mailing lists to communicate.  So, that's not a good idea.

   b) put an announcement on the official cygwin web page.

B) it what Chris asked for.  B) is what I've been asking for.  B) is
what Lars, as the contributor of a new service for the cygwin community,
should have done.  And continually refused to do -- either
misunderstanding what was being requested, or too lazy ("I've set it up
-- that's enough", or whatever.

Sure, I could announce his service.  I could also announce the
availability of a new ispell port for cygwin on the german ftp mirror.
I could announce that there was a new cygwin port of kde-2.2 at
kde-cygwin, or of gtk+1.3.6 at gtk.org.

But it's not my job -- and more importantly, it isn't my right!  If *I*
posted the announcement, then *my* name would go next to the
announcement text.  This poses two problems, one moral, and one practical:

   a) the moral problem:  it would imply that I was responsible for
someone else's contribution.  Lars did the job, Lars should get the
credit.  (If only he'd follow thru, and post the damn announcement...)
   b) the practical problem:  I'd get the email when the service broke.
I'd have to continually redirect queries to Lars -- in perpetuity, until
cgf manually changed the announcement text to refer to Lars instead of me.

If you want to characterize Lars' statement that he didn't want to post
an announcement on the *mailing list*, plus my insistence that he post
an announcement on the *web page*, and my refusal to implicitly take
credit for someone else's work  as "stubbornness" on my part, you're
welcome to do so.

--Chuck

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>>> Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
>>> can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
>>> this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
>>> something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
>>> that.
>>

>> Sigh.
>>
>> Lars, read carefully:
>>
>> Please announce the existence of your news gateway by posting a news
>> item on the cgywin WEB PAGE.  Where people who are NOT subscribed to
>> the mailing list will see it (that's the whole point of your nntp
>> service, right?)
>>
>> Posting the announcement here on the mailing list will do very little
>> good -- we already use the mailing list, very few of us are going to
>> switch.  Besides, we all already know it exists, thanks to this
>> interminable thread.
>>
>> To post an announcment on the CYGWIN WEB PAGE, go to THIS link (which
>> you would have found on the main cygwin home page had you looked for it):
>>
>> http://www.cygwin.com/post-article.html
>>
>> *I* will not do this -- it's not my place to announce your
>> contribution.  Chris obviously felt the same way -- which is why he
>> asked YOU to post an announcement ON THE CYGWIN WEB PAGE several weeks
>> ago.
>>
>> But you did not.  Why?  And why are you being stubborn now?
>

> Talk about being stubborn! The guy said he didn't want to do it. He
> doesn't care about it.
> If you care then you do OK?
>

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 16:33                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-03-02 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> Supposedly, Lars set this nntp thing up as a service to the cygwin
> community.

Er, no.

Read <URL: http://gmane.org/>.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 16:45                           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: cygwin

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>

>>Supposedly, Lars set this nntp thing up as a service to the cygwin
>>community.
>>

> Er, no.
>
> Read <URL: http://gmane.org/>.

Okay, so gmane is a more comprehensive effort than a specific project to
support an nntp gateway for cygwin's mailing lists.  But *somebody* had
to set up the mapping

cygwin@cygwin.com       <--> gmane.os.cygwin
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com <--> gmane.os.cygwin.xfree

gmane doesn't mirror EVERY mailing list out there.  The person who set
up the mapping, whoever it was, did so for a reason.  Somebody else
(you, Lars?) approved the request to do so.  Whatever -- I don't really
care.  I dislike the news interface.  Somebody else out there likes it
enough to do whatever was necessary to create the *cygwin* gateway using
the gmane service.

That person, whoever it was, should have announced that they had done
so, using the references provided.  *I* had nothing to do with it.  *I*
don't even use it.  So *I* shouldn't implicitly take credit for it by
announcing it.

Geez, I can't believe I'm still writing about something *I* don't care
about...

--Chuck

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 18:38                             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-03-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Geez, I can't believe I'm still writing about something *I* don't care
> about...

Neither can we! :-)

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-03-02 19:07                               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-03-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 06:37:46PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Charles Wilson wrote:
>>Geez, I can't believe I'm still writing about something *I* don't care
>>about...
>
>Neither can we! :-)

Wow.  I've posted, three suggestions to do this with nary a peep.  Then,
suddenly, this tempest.

Apparently Chuck is the only one with sufficiently advanced reading
skills to comprehend the vast intellectual challenge that I set before
people.  To wit:

"Please go to the http://cygwin.com/ and post a news item."

Apparently, without knowing it, I was doing something equivalent to
asking people to perfect cold fusion.

Thanks Chuck for helping to see this through to an actual conclusion
after two weeks.  Your acumen in this matter is appreciated, as always.

cgf
--

@ 2002-02-18 14:32 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
> searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
> earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002).

For me it's just perfect! YMMV.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-18 10:53 Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-02-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002). My own local archive
of cygwin@cygwin.com goes back to Jan 01, 2001. Using Eudora I can do
multi-criteria search with AND or OR combination, optionally restricted to
particular headers or the body and if necessary I can use regular
expressions as the search criteria.

I really don't see how that can be improved upon by any on-line archive.

My year and ~1.5 months of Cygwin archives requires 48 megabytes. That
seems pretty reasonable to me, considering the cheapness of mass storage.

Note, too, that given the nature of the mailbox files' contents (all text,
usually 7-bit at that), even Windows compression is quite effective,
reducing the file's physical size to between .6 and .65 of that of the
uncompressed original.

Here's what I do: When the size of a given list's primary mailbox becomes
uncomfortably large, I split off an archive mailbox file from the main
mailbox, give it a date-stamped alternative name and apply Windows file
compression. All together, this has saved me a little over 200 megabytes of
disk space (!).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-02-01 20:48               ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Mosier; +Cc: cygwin

Greg Mosier wrote:

>>"Reply-To" munging has also been discussed on this list previously.
>>Please familiarize yourself with the arguments that have already been
>>hashed out on this list in the past before continuing this line of
>>discussion.
>>
>>Also, see '"Reply To" Munging Considered Harmful' :
>>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>
>>--Chuck
>>

> Well, not to be a pain about this, but being that you're primarily
> suggesting that I familiarize myself with the list history shouldn't you
> have taken the time to notice that it wasn't I that started the thread, that
> I was only replying to it?  Sorry if that sounds offensive any, it's been a
> bad day <g>.

I did notice that.  My point was that *you*, since *you* made the
suggestion about "Reply-To" headers -- *you* should become familiar with
previous discussions about ** "Reply-To" headers **.  Not newsgroups vs.
mailing lists.

I was not replying on the newsgroup vs mailing list topic, which you
didn't start.  I was replying on the "Reply-To" subthread -- which you
*did* start.

--Chuck

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 20:10             ` Greg Mosier
From: Greg Mosier @ 2002-02-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Why not a news server?

> "Reply-To" munging has also been discussed on this list previously.
> Please familiarize yourself with the arguments that have already been
> hashed out on this list in the past before continuing this line of
> discussion.
>
> Also, see '"Reply To" Munging Considered Harmful' :
>
> --Chuck

Well, not to be a pain about this, but being that you're primarily
suggesting that I familiarize myself with the list history shouldn't you
have taken the time to notice that it wasn't I that started the thread, that
I was only replying to it?  Sorry if that sounds offensive any, it's been a
bad day <g>.

Cheers,
Greg

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 20:05             ` Greg Mosier
From: Greg Mosier @ 2002-02-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>

> > to go back to the list.  The most frustrating thing about this is that
> this
> > is a setting in the listserv software, whether it be elzm, mailman,
> > majordomo, or listserv.  The person that has set this up has
> configured it
> > so that the default reply to address is that of the send instead of
> the
> > list.  A simple change in the configuration would alleviate that and
>
> This too has been debated ad inifinitum. There are valid points for and
> against doing this.
>
> However, the principal of least surprise requires not doing it, and for
> a list that gets many non-subscriber posts, that *also* prohibits
> rewriting the reply-to.

Well, the valid arguement against that, would of course be, if they want an
answer bad enough have them search the archives of the list for it, or else
join the list for the short time that it takes them to resolve their issue.
I mean, really, should a list be supportive of it's long standing members or
people that don't have the time to invest in finding an answer for
themselves via subbing or searching archives.

Just my two cents,
Greg Mosier

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 13:48           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-01 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Mosier; +Cc: cygwin

Greg Mosier wrote:

> Yeah, I've too noticed this inconvience of having to use reply all to get it
> to go back to the list.  The most frustrating thing about this is that this
> is a setting in the listserv software, whether it be elzm, mailman,
> majordomo, or listserv.  The person that has set this up has configured it
> so that the default reply to address is that of the send instead of the
> list.  A simple change in the configuration would alleviate that and would
> likely increase participation on the list.  As an example, let's say Joe has
> a problem but I have no clue what his resolution might be.  However, John
> replies to it and suggests something to Joe.  John's suggestion isn't the
> solution, but it sparks recollection in the minds of others as the what the
> resolution indeed is.  Now, if John's reply never makes it to the list then
> you lose that possibility.  Then, when someone has something to say to
> someone that is off topic they can switch the email addresses quite easily.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg Mosier
>
> From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
> Subject: Re: Why not a news server?
>

>>>And again, currently this is not very convenient. For example, Larry here
>>>
> emailed me directly at my work email address about this topic. I hit reply
> and replied to him. But our discussion did not go to the Cygwin mail list. I
> noticed, just as it was too late, that I forgot to add on the
> cygwin@cygwin.com, so you all didn't get that first response. Then Larry
> emails me again, continuing our discussion of this issue. This time I
> remembered. As I said email is not conducive to discussions, which is why
> news and news servers exist no? Also, as has been stated, it's a big waste
> of bandwidth and space to send everybody a copy of the thread, especially
> since rarely is anybody interested in all of it.
>

>>Actually, I think the problem was at your end.  I replied to all so my
>>response (originally) went to the list (and you).  You probably got two
>>response.  Unlike allot of other frequent responders to the list, I don't
>>reset my 'Reply-To' field to point to cygwin@cygwin.com when I respond.
>>It's just a choice.  I don't object to anyone doing this (or not).  I also
>>don't generally redirect email that folks send directly to me back to the
>>list.  Again, I have no problem with folks doing that.  I just don't
>>generally myself (for reasons that aren't really germane to this thread).
>>

> --

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 13:37           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-02-01 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Mosier, cygwin

===
> Yeah, I've too noticed this inconvience of having to use reply all to
get it
> to go back to the list.  The most frustrating thing about this is that
this
> is a setting in the listserv software, whether it be elzm, mailman,
> majordomo, or listserv.  The person that has set this up has
configured it
> so that the default reply to address is that of the send instead of
the
> list.  A simple change in the configuration would alleviate that and
would
> likely increase participation on the list.  As an example, let's say
Joe has
> a problem but I have no clue what his resolution might be.  However,
John
> replies to it and suggests something to Joe.  John's suggestion isn't
the
> solution, but it sparks recollection in the minds of others as the
what the
> resolution indeed is.  Now, if John's reply never makes it to the list
then
> you lose that possibility.  Then, when someone has something to say to
> someone that is off topic they can switch the email addresses quite
easily.

This too has been debated ad inifinitum. There are valid points for and
against doing this.

However, the principal of least surprise requires not doing it, and for
a list that gets many non-subscriber posts, that *also* prohibits
rewriting the reply-to.

Rob

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 13:33         ` Greg Mosier

From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>

> >And again, currently this is not very convenient. For example, Larry here
emailed me directly at my work email address about this topic. I hit reply
and replied to him. But our discussion did not go to the Cygwin mail list. I
noticed, just as it was too late, that I forgot to add on the
cygwin@cygwin.com, so you all didn't get that first response. Then Larry
emails me again, continuing our discussion of this issue. This time I
remembered. As I said email is not conducive to discussions, which is why
news and news servers exist no? Also, as has been stated, it's a big waste
of bandwidth and space to send everybody a copy of the thread, especially
since rarely is anybody interested in all of it.

> Actually, I think the problem was at your end.  I replied to all so my
> response (originally) went to the list (and you).  You probably got two
> response.  Unlike allot of other frequent responders to the list, I don't
> reset my 'Reply-To' field to point to cygwin@cygwin.com when I respond.
> It's just a choice.  I don't object to anyone doing this (or not).  I also
> don't generally redirect email that folks send directly to me back to the
> list.  Again, I have no problem with folks doing that.  I just don't
> generally myself (for reasons that aren't really germane to this thread).

* Re: Why not a news server?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-01 13:31 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 09:59:36AM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Why not simply set up a news server instead of this mail list.

Because we're mean.

cgf

* RE: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 13:25     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, 'Andrew DeFaria', cygwin

Actually, I didn't say that the news server should or has to replace the
email list.  I personally don't believe that is the case at all.
I was simply reiterating the major concern of the previous discussions on
this subject.  If the new server did replace the list, it was clear that
at least some members of the Cygwin community would perceive this as a
loss.  So the conclusion was that the news server must be *in addition
to* the Cygwin email list, not replacing it.  There was never any
dissenting remarks concerning the news server once it was 'decided' that
both could exist concurrently.  Also, I don't believe that anyone ever
believed it would not be technically possible to create and maintain both
the email list and the news server (which I believe is what your comment
about the PHP mailing list is meant to clarify).  The only thing that
has been missing in the past is the interest by someone to actually make
the news server a reality.

Sorry if my original explanation of the previous discussions on this
subject made my point unclear to you.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 13:15       ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: cygwin

At 03:49 PM 2/1/2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>>>See that's just the thing. AFAIK searching the email list archives is not convenient nor easy.
>>
>>Have you tried it? Just curious since you preface your statement with AFAIK, which implies you don't have personal experience. I won't  suggest that looking in the mail list archives is not trying at times. It's usually most frustrating when you look for something that isn't indexed the way you think of it. AFAIK a news server doesn't make that easier but I have no experience searching on a news server. In any case, I, like others in the discussions of yore, have no objections to a  news server for the Cygwin list in addition to the mail list. I think if someone stepped forward to create and maintain one, no one would object  to it's announcement on the Cygwin list.
>
>Yes I've tried it. It's OK. Really don't like the "threading" as per se. Often get lost trying to track down a thread. No news servers do not make searching that much more easier but IMHO they make discussing things much more easier, which is, after all, what this list is about, discussing Cygwin.

OK, that's fine.  It just wasn't clear to me whether you used it or not,
based on your response.

>And again, currently this is not very convenient. For example, Larry here emailed me directly at my work email address about this topic. I hit reply and replied to him. But our discussion did not go to the Cygwin mail list. I noticed, just as it was too late, that I forgot to add on the cygwin@cygwin.com, so you all didn't get that first response. Then Larry emails me again, continuing our discussion of this issue. This time I remembered. As I said email is not conducive to discussions, which is why news and news servers exist no? Also, as has been stated, it's a big waste of bandwidth and space to send everybody a copy of the thread, especially since rarely is anybody interested in all of it.

Actually, I think the problem was at your end.  I replied to all so my
response (originally) went to the list (and you).  You probably got two
response.  Unlike allot of other frequent responders to the list, I don't
reset my 'Reply-To' field to point to cygwin@cygwin.com when I respond.
It's just a choice.  I don't object to anyone doing this (or not).  I also
don't generally redirect email that folks send directly to me back to the
list.  Again, I have no problem with folks doing that.  I just don't
generally myself (for reasons that aren't really germane to this thread).

However, I would like to point out that while these are good arguments
for having a news server for Cygwin, I don't believe that the Cygwin
community needs to be convinced of this.  So long as there is the option
of using either the news server or the mailing list (or both), I think
most would agree that it is a win for everybody.  So I don't think anybody
needs to justify the argument.  That's been done before as well.  What has
been missing in the past has been the 'follow-up' to the discussion of the
news server.  So, just so it's clear, the reason we don't already have a
news server is that no one was interested *enough* to set one up and
maintain it, although there has always seemed to be quite a bit of
interest in discussing the need or desire to have a news server.

>>>Creating it and maintaining it is one thing. Getting the equipment and connection to have it accessable is another. But that is not necessary, why not simply have something lick comp.os.cygwin?!?
>>
>>Similar suggestions were made in the past. Would you like to get the ball rolling by going through the process of creating the group?
>
>Well there's a downside to this too. You see a comp.os.cygwin group would be great in general. But in specific my company doesn't have a news server either. So I could not read the comp.os.cygwin news group at work (where I need it more) save using something like groups.google.com or something else like that (which I hate). I can, however, read news from say Netscape and Microsoft and other company hosted news groups. And you don't need to be big to have company hosted news groups. For example, Twelve Tone Systems (makers of Cakewalk, a music sequencing program) have a news server as well as even individual, not so company oriented places like Steve Gibson's grc.com And Julian Haight's spamcop.net.. However such a news server needs to be hosted and I do not have the resources to host such (unless ya'll want to hit my DSLed Windows XP box at my house and will chip in for a new hard drive! :-).

Right.  And that's been the problem in the past as well.  No one wanted
to take the idea and make it a reality, for whatever reason.  That's fine.
However, discussion is only good if it leads to eventual action on
someone's part.  So far, this topic has never blossomed to this end.  So
my point in speaking up is that this discussion is rather pointless unless
someone wants to take this idea and run with it.  If someone does want to
do this, then the thread is at an end with a simple message to this list
announcing the intention or the existence of the news server.  If someone
doesn't want to create and manage the news server, this thread can still
continue but it will just be a rehash of what's already in the email
archives.  If it comes to that, I think we would all be better off if we're
spared that duplication.

OK, 'nuff said.

* Re: Why not a news server?
       [not found]   ` <4.3.1.2.20020201143046.01cb6770@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
@ 2002-02-01 12:49     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-01 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-02-01 12:29   ` Stephano Mariani
       [not found]   ` <4.3.1.2.20020201143046.01cb6770@pop.ma.ultranet.com>

@ 2002-02-01 10:48   ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2002-02-01 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I like the mailing list. I don't have a news server at work, so I
wouldn't be able to access a newsgroup like we are discussing. I have no
problem searching the mailing list archives with google- I wasn't aware
that there was a date at which the MLA were truncated- I have seen stuff
a few years back IIRC. I tried a different mailing list with a "digest
version" and it was awful- I won't try any digests any time soon, I
simply wipe out my cygwin-email folder when it gets around 1000 messages
and rely on the archives.

-Peter

Daniel Adams wrote:

> I will be the first one to make a comment of a NNTP server for hosting this
> group and possibly the other groups for Cygwin, isn't that after all what a
> NNTP group is designed for. I would be one to second Andrew's idea because
> of the idea that often times I am in need of searching about a certain idea
> in the archives and not only does it bring up the relative needed
> information, it also brings up stuff from many years back.
>
> Sincerely,
> Daniel Adams - dpa3@dana.ucc.nau.edu
> http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3
>
>   1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
> serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 10:28 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <4.3.1.2.20020201143046.01cb6770@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria, cygwin

@ 2002-02-01 10:26 ` Daniel Adams

Why not simply set up a news server instead of this mail list. I find
the mail list deficient in several areas. First and foremost it's noisy
causing me to wade through all this email for topics I'm interested in.
Secondly there's no easy or convenient way to response to individual
issues (I get a digest of cygwin stuff emailed to me). Seems to me that
nntp was designed specifically for such communications and a number of
companies have set up news servers for such things.

Finally a number of times I receive a digest speaking of topics and
articles but the email message is apparently truncated and the bodies of
these articles are missing.

Comments? (I'm sure there will be some).

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01 10:20 ` Randall R Schulz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-02-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew,

A newsgroup won't change the signal-to-noise ratio nor alleviate effort on
your part in sorting it all out.

Don't get the digest and you'll have solved all the digest-related problems.

Avail yourself of the abilities of mail clients to sort incoming message
into different mailbox files. Any mail client worth its salt can do this,
including some of the free / open-source ones.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 09:59 2002-02-01, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Why not simply set up a news server instead of this mail list. I find the
>mail list deficient in several areas. First and foremost it's noisy
>causing me to wade through all this email for topics I'm interested in.
>Secondly there's no easy or convenient way to response to individual
>issues (I get a digest of cygwin stuff emailed to me). Seems to me that
>nntp was designed specifically for such communications and a number of
>companies have set up news servers for such things.
>
>Finally a number of times I receive a digest speaking of topics and
>articles but the email message is apparently truncated and the bodies of
>these articles are missing.
>
>Comments? (I'm sure there will be some).

* Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01  9:59 Andrew DeFaria
                   ` (3 more replies)