* Re: Installing Cygwin from CDROM - Crude Method
       [not found] <30C9E24891FFD411B68A009027724CB74433FD@eg-002-015.eglin.af .mil>
@ 2002-05-30 14:35 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0205301108530.21888-100000@gremlin.fruitbat. org>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-30 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 01:28 PM 5/30/2002, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
>A simple and crude method that appear to work for me for creating a Cygwin
>install CD for non-networked or classified (gulp) machines.
>(Warning, this is crude and takes some connect time. It involves less
>clicks though!)
>
>(1) I use explorer to go to the ftp side of my favorite mirror house.
>(2) I download the contents of the release directory into a release
>     directory in my cygtemp directory.
>(3) Once (2) is done, I copy setup.exe and setup.ini into my
>     cygtemp directory.
>(4) I burn the Cygtemp directory to CD.  I have been able to do
>     incremental (not full) setups on machines running setup.exe
>     from the CD.
>
>Again, this is crude, and takes some time (mostly unattended).
>The process (2) downloads everything, including source, so
>you end up downloading over 500 megabytes.
>
>I do find that when the ftp process dies (and it always does at
>some point for me), I find it fairly easy to see where it died,
>and restart it where it left off. (Funny note, after one of these
>restarts this morning, thje first estimate on download time
>was 1 day, 10 hours.....next was 5 minutes)
>
>Crude and unrefined, but it seems to work, and its easy
>to say "get everything", even for an IQ challenged Ph.D.

You might like wget then, if you get lots of disconnections.  It can
reconnect automatically and pick up where it left off.  A great time
saver for the highly automated! ;-)

* Re: Installing Cygwin from CDROM - Crude Method
@ 2002-05-30 15:06   ` Peter A. Castro
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0205301108530.21888-100000@gremlin.fruitbat. org>
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2002-05-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 01:28 PM 5/30/2002, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
> >A simple and crude method that appear to work for me for creating a Cygwin
> >install CD for non-networked or classified (gulp) machines.
> >(Warning, this is crude and takes some connect time. It involves less
> >clicks though!)
> >
> >(1) I use explorer to go to the ftp side of my favorite mirror house.
> >(2) I download the contents of the release directory into a release
> >     directory in my cygtemp directory.
> >(3) Once (2) is done, I copy setup.exe and setup.ini into my
> >     cygtemp directory.
> >(4) I burn the Cygtemp directory to CD.  I have been able to do
> >     incremental (not full) setups on machines running setup.exe
> >     from the CD.
> >
> >Again, this is crude, and takes some time (mostly unattended).
> >The process (2) downloads everything, including source, so
> >you end up downloading over 500 megabytes.
> >
> >I do find that when the ftp process dies (and it always does at
> >some point for me), I find it fairly easy to see where it died,
> >and restart it where it left off. (Funny note, after one of these
> >restarts this morning, thje first estimate on download time
> >was 1 day, 10 hours.....next was 5 minutes)
> >
> >Crude and unrefined, but it seems to work, and its easy
> >to say "get everything", even for an IQ challenged Ph.D.
>
> You might like wget then, if you get lots of disconnections.  It can
> reconnect automatically and pick up where it left off.  A great time
> saver for the highly automated! ;-)

Or get a copy of 'fget' (an FTP version of wget).  I run this nightly
against a mirror to keep my image of Cygwin up to date.  The nice thing
about fget is it validates date & size of already downloaded files and
skips them, thus only new or changed files actually get pulled.  I've
been thinging of packaging it for Cygwin, but I haven't had the time
lately.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>

@ 2002-05-30 16:29     ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-05-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter A. Castro, cygwin

Peter,

Wget handles FTP and can do the same checks to avoid redundant downloads
you mention. Does "fget" have any advantages over wget?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-05-30 20:41       ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2002-05-30 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Wget handles FTP and can do the same checks to avoid redundant downloads
> you mention. Does "fget" have any advantages over wget?

The annoying "feature" of wget is that it always creates a directory
hierarchy under the hostname.  fget lets me specify the top-level
directory name to store the retrieved files under.  It can also make an
*exact* mirror, by removing local files that aren't on the remote server.
And it will also do simultaneous/parallel sessions to multiple hosts.
wget seems to have trouble with recurse FTP directories, though I may not
be using the most current version of it.

--

@ 2002-05-31  8:45         ` Michael Wardle
From: Michael Wardle @ 2002-05-31  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter A. Castro; +Cc: Randall R Schulz, cygwin

Peter A. Castro wrote:
> The annoying "feature" of wget is that it always creates a directory
> hierarchy under the hostname.

These wget options will be of use:
--no-directories
--no-host-directories
--cut-dirs=n

It's all in the wget(1) manual page.

--
MICHAEL WARDLE
SGI Desktop & Admin Software

* RE: Installing Cygwin from CDROM - Crude Method
@ 2002-05-30 17:24 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
From: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG @ 2002-05-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)',
	Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I guess I didn't make what I was trying to do very clear.
In light of recent....frustrations about using setup.exe,
to generate a Cygwin install CD, I took it as an
intellectual excercise to think of a really simple
way to do the operation, that works with common Windows
tools, and well, it works.

I went with an Explorer based approach to keep it point
and click.  I know there are much better ways to perform
ftp operations, but again I was trying to keep it simple.
I always kept my own limited mental capabilities in mind
here, so if it looks dumb, now you know why.

Wayne (the ultimate dummy test) Keen

@ 2002-05-30 14:22 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG