* Nessus on cygwin: Partially there
@ 2002-07-07 17:42 Shawn Behrens
From: Shawn Behrens @ 2002-07-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I've been playing with building nessus on cygwin. If anyone else is trying
to do the same, I'd love to hear.

So far, I've got:

I can build 1.22 with --disable-shared , which means I have no
nessus-plugins. Vexing. I do not understand libtool and Cygwin DLLs well
enough to attempt to fix this.

I can run nessus-adduser, nessus-mkcert and nessusd -D

I can run nessus and connect to nessusd. But I lack plugins, ne, as per the
above: No DLLs, no shared libs, I am a thick knuckle-headed wuff. *whine*

I get rather bad crashes when I run nessus. It happened to me a couple
times just during ./configure, and just now when running nessus. Something
to do with cygwin not being able to allocate memory.  Second time round, I
got a BSOD STOP 08. That could be something with my system, of course, I do
not rule out that I have a general instability regarding memory or
what-have-you here. Someone else to try a build and see how it runs there
would be real useful about now.
Nessus also eats a ton of memory. Around 200MB before it dies on my
machine. That could be due to "no shared libs" as well, of course. Each
nessusd carries the whole shebang around with it, and there's several of
the lil buggers running when nessus does its thing.

So.

I'll happily share build-instructions and diffs with anyone interested. If
someone out there knows a bit more about cygwin than I do and is willing to
help getting nessus to run properly, that is WITH shared libs and plugins,
I'd be delighted.

And I'll go and get 1.23 now and build the thing all over again, as 1.23
has JUST been relased. Well, sorta just. After I started on this lil
journey a week ago or so anyway. :)

Regards

Shawn

* OT: Compiling new stuff (was Nessus on cygwin)
@ 2002-07-07 18:35 ` friedman_hill ernest j
From: friedman_hill ernest j @ 2002-07-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I think Shawn Behrens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been playing with building nessus on cygwin. If anyone else is trying
> to do the same, I'd love to hear.

Not a personal dig at Shawn, just the latest instance of a pet peeve:
when people ask for help compiling package X, I always wish they'd
write "I've been playing with building nessus (A REMOTE SECURITY
SCANNER) on cygwin" (emphasis added.) If something hasn't already been
built on cygwin, or doesn't just compile right OOTB, chances are that
it's specialized enough that many folks on this list won't have heard
of it. Yes, it only took me a few seconds to find out what Nessus was
on Google -- but I still wish people would briefly describe package X
right in their message.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
Org. 8920, MS 9012                  ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
Livermore, CA 94550

* RE: Nessus on cygwin: Partially there
@ 2003-02-28 22:49 Hans Nohack
From: Hans Nohack @ 2003-02-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

i know this is an older thread but maybe there are new thoughts..
At the moment i am at a similar point as Shawn. i was able to compile nessus
2.0 sucessfully, the daemon and the client start OK and i am able to log in.
There are no BSOD's or other or fatal errors but unfortunately nessus
doesn't scan because it can't load it's plugins (shared libraries).
In the logfile nessusd.messages i can find errors like "Couldn't load
nmap_wrapper.nes - dlopen: Win32 error 193"
Did anybody get nessus to work with it's plugins?

Thanks for help
Hans