* lauching a perl script from a .bat
@ 2002-07-22 11:33 Marko Loparic
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marko Loparic @ 2002-07-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have developed a perl script to a remote user who
runs Windows. I would like to make an easy
installation
cd for him and to allow him to launch to script using
a .bat file. I have two basic questions.

1) The perl script uses cygwin names like /cygdrive,
so I can't launch perl directly from a .bat file. I
suppose I have to launch cygwin's bash passing the
script as an argument. How do I do this?

2) I would like to insert a basic cygwin installation
in the cd. It seems that zipping c:\cygwin and
unzipping it in his computer works. Is this a safe
solution?

Thank you very much in advance!
Marko

* stunnel under cygwin
@ 2002-07-22 11:35 ` Michael Codanti
From: Michael Codanti @ 2002-07-22 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to setup something like stunnel on my Windows server to secure
some services.  I have cygwin setup, and use SSH, but couldn't find any good
details on how to compile, and setup stunnel.

Is it fairly easy to do?  Can someone point me to some good instructions?

     Thanks,

        Michael

* Re: lauching a perl script from a .bat
@ 2002-07-22 11:45 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marko Loparic, cygwin

Marko,

At 10:24 2002-07-22, Marko Loparic wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have developed a perl script to a remote user who
>runs Windows. I would like to make an easy
>installation
>cd for him and to allow him to launch to script using
>a .bat file. I have two basic questions.
>
>1) The perl script uses cygwin names like /cygdrive,
>so I can't launch perl directly from a .bat file. I
>suppose I have to launch cygwin's bash passing the
>script as an argument. How do I do this?

man cygpath

BASH per se doesn't offer a solution to this issue--it knows only the Unix
cocoon of Cygwin.

>2) I would like to insert a basic cygwin installation
>in the cd. It seems that zipping c:\cygwin and
>unzipping it in his computer works. Is this a safe
>solution?

Use the Cygwin installer ("Setup.exe" --
<http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe>)--it handles setting up the registry
entries used by the Cygwin "kernel" (i.e., Cygwin1.dll).

Download the packages you wish to install (use a mirroring tool such as
wget, FTP Voyager or the Cygwin Setup.exe installer in "Download from
Internet" mode) and burn the resulting files onto the CD you'll use to
perform the installations.

>Thank you very much in advance!
>Marko

I hope it helps.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

* stunnel under cygwin
@ 2002-07-22 12:37   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2002-07-22 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Codanti; +Cc: cygwin

On Monday 22 Jul 02, Michael Codanti writes:
> I would like to setup something like stunnel on my Windows server to secure
> some services.  I have cygwin setup, and use SSH, but couldn't find any good
> details on how to compile, and setup stunnel.
>
> Is it fairly easy to do?  Can someone point me to some good instructions?

I think that this is a good place to start:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=stunnel-users&m=101137241619790>

I'm dealing with a slightly different situation (client not server)
but at least it should get you started compiling stunnel in Cygwin.

Regards,
David

* Re: lauching a perl script from a .bat
@ 2002-07-23  4:38 ` Jeremy Hetzler
       [not found]   ` <Mahogany-0.64.2-2764-20020723-134715.00@MCHASE-COMPAQ>
From: Jeremy Hetzler @ 2002-07-23  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marko Loparic, cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

At 10:24 AM 7/22/2002 -0700, Marko Loparic wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have developed a perl script to a remote user who
>runs Windows. I would like to make an easy
>installation
>cd for him and to allow him to launch to script using
>a .bat file. I have two basic questions.
>
>1) The perl script uses cygwin names like /cygdrive,
>so I can't launch perl directly from a .bat file. I
>suppose I have to launch cygwin's bash passing the
>script as an argument. How do I do this?

You can run this script fine from a .bat file. However, you will need to
have Cygwin installed on the machine and adjust the path to include
perl.exe and cygwin1.dll (i.e. /usr/bin). For this non-interactive use,
bash need not and should not be involved. It is cygwin1.dll that provides
the cygwin-style functionality to perl, not bash.

Cygpath can convert windows paths to and from cygwin paths, but you
shouldn't need it here (under cygwin perl, the script should work fine
unmodified).

@ 2002-07-23 17:16     ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-07-23 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Hetzler, Marko Loparic; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:01:41 -0700 Jeremy Hetzler <jeremyhetzler@earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 10:24 AM 7/22/2002 -0700, Marko Loparic wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have developed a perl script to a remote user who
> >runs Windows. I would like to make an easy
> >installation
> >cd for him and to allow him to launch to script using
> >a .bat file. I have two basic questions.
> >
> >1) The perl script uses cygwin names like /cygdrive,
> >so I can't launch perl directly from a .bat file. I
> >suppose I have to launch cygwin's bash passing the
> >script as an argument. How do I do this?
>
> You can run this script fine from a .bat file. However, you will need to
> have Cygwin installed on the machine and adjust the path to include
> perl.exe and cygwin1.dll (i.e. /usr/bin). For this non-interactive use,
> bash need not and should not be involved. It is cygwin1.dll that
> provides
> the cygwin-style functionality to perl, not bash.
>
> Cygpath can convert windows paths to and from cygwin paths, but you
> shouldn't need it here (under cygwin perl, the script should work fine
> unmodified).

Also, both cygwin programs and perl scripts can handle windows type paths
in their arguments if you replace '\' with '/'
(e.g., c:/dir/dir/file).

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html