* RE: Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as administrator)
@ 2002-12-16  2:36 Pavel Rozenboim
From: Pavel Rozenboim @ 2002-12-16  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just another 2 cents on the issue.

I'm using MS Outlook with MS Exchange Server. Whenever I press reply on any
message from this list, Outlook tryes to send the reply to sender only. It
happens for everyone except messages from Christopher Faylor. It never
happened for me on other mailing lists I participate. It looks that other
mailing list set Reply-To header on every mail they deliver.

Does anyone have a suggestion how Outlook can be configured to reply to the
list instead of replying to sender?

Pavel.

@ 2002-12-16  4:27 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-12-16  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Rozenboim; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 21:18, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion how Outlook can be configured to reply to the
> list instead of replying to sender?

Uhmm reply-to-all. Or write a macro (and ideally, GPL it :]) .

Rob
--
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.

* RE: Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as administrator)
@ 2002-12-16  8:12   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-12-16  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

In Eudora CTRL-R replies and shift modifies the "to originator" / "to all
recipients" mode. There is an application-wide option to control which
reply mode goes with CTRL-R and which with CTRL-SHIFT-R.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-12-13  0:41     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-13  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 06:50:13PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>P.S. Also note that, even with your current setup, you can get a
>>double copy only if someone replies to a message that you posted.
>
>Again, when others respond I do not get an additional email copy of it.
>Just with some people. Apparently people who use pine and perhaps some
>other mailers.

I have to note that your receipt of additional email is really not of
any consequence to the cygwin mailing list.  I can see one admonishment
but a long-running scolding thread is pretty boring.

We've stopped talking about this now, right?

cgf

* Re: Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as   administrator)
@ 2002-12-12 20:09     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-12-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 13:50, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> But the issue is not only are people who reply busy but so are the
> readers. With your software's defaults I get a message in my email AND
> see it and have to skip it later when I read the list. Thus it is more
> work for me, hence the request not to do this.

Heh, fix your mail reader. Seriously. It's neither the posters, nor the
list serve's responsibility to reduce duplicates. And given that there
are valid reasons for duplicates (say an issue that affects both
kde-cygwin and general-cygwin discussions), it's up to you to solve the
problem at your end.

> As for the path of least inconvenience, if your method was the most
> popular then I would be receiving email whenever somebody response to
> one of my posts but I don't. Therefore it sounds to me like this is a
> pine'ism.

Heh. I use Reply-All. You'll probably see two responses, unless you fix
your mail reader first :}.

> Apparently people who use pine and perhaps some
> other mailers.

I use evolution, and occasionally MS Outlook / MS Outlook Express.
You'll get the same behaviour from me every time.

Rob
--
---

@ 2002-12-12 20:07   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-12-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I would like to point out that most people on this list are busy people,

As am I.

> and that the most convenient way to reply is the one that takes the
> least effort on their part.

In my software I simply hit reply instead of reply all. Either button is
as easy.

> The message that started this discussion used the default behavior of
> pine (reply to author, cc to list - I hit reply, write the message,
> and press send), whereas for this message I actually had to explicitly
> remove your name from the To: line and move the cygwin list from Cc:
> to To:. I'm only doing this to prove the point now, and will most
> probably not do so in the future.

Yes and in my software the default way is to either hit the reply button
or type Control-R. In order to reply all you need to hit that button or
Control-Shift-R (i.e. a little more difficult).

But the issue is not only are people who reply busy but so are the
readers. With your software's defaults I get a message in my email AND
see it and have to skip it later when I read the list. Thus it is more
work for me, hence the request not to do this.

As for the path of least inconvenience, if your method was the most
popular then I would be receiving email whenever somebody response to
one of my posts but I don't. Therefore it sounds to me like this is a
pine'ism.

>> Otherwise I will simply set up a filter to ignore all email from you
>> :-) !
>

> This is certainly your choice.

Ploink!

>> Again, I don't appreciate getting email that's a copy of what I'll be
>> reading on the list shortly anyway.
>
> As I mentioned before, the standard way to deal with this (on any
> mailing list) is to use a Reply-To header. Since your method for
> reading and posting to this list is non-standard (namely, the gmane
> newsgroup) and incompatible with Reply-To,

It didn't used to be incompatible however the gname maintainer changed
that behavior.

> you would need to seek alternate solutions.

Yeah, ploink I guess... :-)

@ 2002-12-11 19:13   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-11 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 07:21:21PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>As I mentioned before, the standard way to deal with this (on any mailing
>list) is to use a Reply-To header.  Since your method for reading and
>posting to this list is non-standard (namely, the gmane newsgroup) and
>incompatible with Reply-To, you would need to seek alternate solutions.
>Perhaps someone else using gmane to access mailing lists can be of help.
>	Igor
>P.S. Also note that, even with your current setup, you can get a double
>copy only if someone replies to a message that you posted.

Note that it has been a not-infrequent occurrence for me to receive
personal email from people who *specifically* bypass my Reply-To and add
me to the Cc.  Invariably, they tell me that this is the way "other
mailing lists do it".  It is obviously pretty rude nonetheless.

So anyone who attempts this should be aware that the cygwin clueless
zone rules apply.  It won't be a complete solution.

cgf

* Re: Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as administrator)
@ 2002-12-11 17:08   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-12-11 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 11:21, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > Again, I don't appreciate getting email that's a copy of what I'll be
> > reading on the list shortly anyway.

This needs a note:

Emails have a unique message ID, that mail de-dupers can remove. I don't
get duplicates, even when something goes to 3 or four different mailing
lists. If your email package doesn't do this, get a real one :}.

Anything using qmail, exim or postfix should be able to do this.
MS Exchange server does this.

Cheers,
Rob

* Individual vs. list-only replies (Was Re: Force bash to start as administrator)
@ 2002-12-11 16:33 ` Igor Pechtchanski
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-12-11 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin