Hi, I only just joined this list so please excuse aberrant behaviour. I am also in the same situation as Matt, but I have more information about it. First, you can easily work around it by telling devstudio to invoke flex through bash: c:\cygwin\bin\bash -c "flex ..." This is with 2.5.31-1, my previous version was 2.5.4-2. Previous experience with DevStudio has suggested to me that it invokes external commands via command.com, so I checked invoking flex manually with identical arguments under bash and under command.com. The result is that it always seems to work under bash, but under command.com it can give a command-line summary, but not compile my script (I only have the one script handy to test it under). So I think the problem is invocation under command.com, not anything about DevStudio per se. I'm attaching a cygcheck output. I'm not sure whether flex should invoke under command.com? e.g. is there a difference between invoking an isolated cygwin executable by its full path, and invoking one which tries to access other executables, and which may not have a PATH set up? In any case, I have a simple work-around, so this is JFYI. Ian Badcoe >I want to use flex in Visual Studio, but it won't run. It just says: > >flex: fatal internal error, exec failed > > >It worked before I upgraded Cygwin a few days ago. I don't know what >version of flex I was using before, but this happens with version 2.5.31. > >Thanks! >Matt Gregory