* Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages
@ 2012-07-28  4:57 L Anderson
From: L Anderson @ 2012-07-28  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup.  Also, I notice
that most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
libraries.  I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.

Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
and is it a problem?

Some of the entries I see are:

         skip Gnome     ?  atk 1.0: Acc. Toolkit library (sources)
         skip   Libs    ?  boost: Boost C++ libraries (source)
         Skip   X11     ?  cairo: Cross-dev. vec. grap. lib.(source)
1.0-2   Keep   Misc    ?  clear
1.2.0-1 Keep   Misc    ?  d
         Skip   Gnome   ?  dbus-glib: Freedsktp msg bus sys. (source)
         Skip   Devel,L.?  eventlog: Structured event logging library
         Skip   X11     ?  fltk_gdi: Fst Lgt Toolkit-GDI ver.(sources)

Additional Information:
- Installing updates from my own local release mirror updated today.
- Running Win XP Pro
- Running cygwin 1.7.16-1
- Setup.exe version 2.774
- Setup.ini shows setup-timestamp: 1343379014 and setup-version: 2.774.

Thanks,

Lowell Anderson

* Re: Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages
@ 2012-07-28 13:36 ` Aaron Schneider
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-28 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 28/07/2012 6:56, L Anderson wrote:
> Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
> ? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup.  Also, I notice
> that most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
> libraries.  I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
> mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.
>
> Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
> and is it a problem?
>
> Some of the entries I see are:
>
>          skip Gnome     ?  atk 1.0: Acc. Toolkit library (sources)
>          skip   Libs    ?  boost: Boost C++ libraries (source)
>          Skip   X11     ?  cairo: Cross-dev. vec. grap. lib.(source)
> 1.0-2   Keep   Misc    ?  clear
> 1.2.0-1 Keep   Misc    ?  d
>          Skip   Gnome   ?  dbus-glib: Freedsktp msg bus sys. (source)
>          Skip   Devel,L.?  eventlog: Structured event logging library
>          Skip   X11     ?  fltk_gdi: Fst Lgt Toolkit-GDI ver.(sources)
>
> Additional Information:
> - Installing updates from my own local release mirror updated today.
> - Running Win XP Pro
> - Running cygwin 1.7.16-1
> - Setup.exe version 2.774
> - Setup.ini shows setup-timestamp: 1343379014 and setup-version: 2.774.

I think that happens because the packages you downloaded once are not
present in the mirror you are getting the list from. Cygwin gets the
size of a installed package from the present list that you get from the
mirror. Try reinstalling and see what happens.

* Re: Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages
@ 2012-07-28 21:34 ` szgyg
       [not found]   ` <5015BA05.6090901@mvseac.com>
From: szgyg @ 2012-07-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/28/2012 6:56 AM, L Anderson wrote:
> Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
> ? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup. Also, I notice that
> most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
> libraries. I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
> mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.
>
> Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
> and is it a problem?

No, it isn't a problem. Those packages don't have any binary content,
that's why setup.exe show ? as their size. We use them when more than
one package is generated from the same upstream source, e.g.
libsomething1, libsomething-devel and something-doc. In this case the
package something, with "(source)" in its description, will contain the
source, and the other packages will contain the binary stuff. What Aaron
has described is another possible source of ? sizes, but then the
packages would be in the Misc category, as setup.exe wouldn't have the
category info either.

szgyg

* Re: Setup shows ? instead of size for some packages
@ 2012-07-29  0:55   ` Aaron Schneider
       [not found]   ` <5015BA05.6090901@mvseac.com>
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-29  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 28/07/2012 23:33, szgyg wrote:
> On 7/28/2012 6:56 AM, L Anderson wrote:
>> Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
>> ? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup. Also, I notice that
>> most, if not all the packages, seem to be related to source or
>> libraries. I've read the setup documentation, googled, and searched the
>> mail list but can't seem to find as answer as to what's behind it.
>>
>> Would someone in the know please tell me what causes it, what it means,
>> and is it a problem?
>
> No, it isn't a problem. Those packages don't have any binary content,
> that's why setup.exe show ? as their size. We use them when more than
> one package is generated from the same upstream source, e.g.
> libsomething1, libsomething-devel and something-doc. In this case the
> package something, with "(source)" in its description, will contain the
> source, and the other packages will contain the binary stuff. What Aaron
> has described is another possible source of ? sizes, but then the
> packages would be in the Misc category, as setup.exe wouldn't have the
> category info either.
>
> szgyg

Well, for that particular cases I would prefer showing 'dummy' instead
of '?'. The question mark is prolific to make think that something is
wrong or selectable, on the other case you see it's intentional.

@ 2012-07-31 22:35     ` szgyg
From: szgyg @ 2012-07-31 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[keep it on the list, please]

On 7/30/2012 12:32 AM, L Anderson wrote:
> szgyg wrote:
>> On 7/28/2012 6:56 AM, L Anderson wrote:
>>> Call me slow to notice but I'm seeing more packages appearing with size
>>> ? mark in the "View" window when I run cygwin setup. Also, I notice that
>>
>> No, it isn't a problem. Those packages don't have any binary content,
>> that's why setup.exe show ? as their size. We use them when more than
>> one package is generated from the same upstream source, e.g.
>> libsomething1, libsomething-devel and something-doc. In this case the
>> package something, with "(source)" in its description, will contain the
>> source, and the other packages will contain the binary stuff. What Aaron
>> has described is another possible source of ? sizes, but then the
>> packages would be in the Misc category, as setup.exe wouldn't have the
>> category info either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Another thing I noticed is that under the "New" column of
> setup.exe-View, the items are "Skip" where I haven't installed the
> source packages. In those cases, when I toggle the "Skip", the version
> numbers shows and the sizes are filled in and remain so even if I toggle
> back to "Skip".
>
> The case Aaron described is not my case because I use my own mirror and
> everything is there. So I guess I'm curious as to why source packages
> are not treated the same as binary packages when it comes to size.

A package consists of a binary and a source part (you can install them
separately by ticking the checkboxes on the package selection dialog),
and setup.exe shows size of the binary part by default, as usually this
is what you want to install.

The split source packages are results of afterthought. They add another
level of indirection by representing the source/binary distinction not
only on the part level, but on the package level too. However, setup.exe
knows nothing about this, so it can't handle those packages very well.

szgyg