* Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-13 11:10 Lord Laraby
From: Lord Laraby @ 2012-08-13 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded the latest setup.exe from www DOT cygwin DOT com and
run it as normal selected only updated packages.

However, several errors began to popup in warning windows about files
being in use. However, there was not a single active cygwin process or
service running. That got me suspicious as retry just kept repeating
itself. So, dropping to CMD and running:

dir /Q file  (on several of the bad directies)

showed that they were not accessible - no read, no write, no execute,
no read dac, no take ownership, etc. Not even as a SYSTEM account. (I
have psExec -s) to elevate to SYSTEM status for emergencies like this
one. No a single account has take ownership abilities or even read
owner abilities.

> getfacl -d etc/skel     (for instance)

# file: etc/skel
# owner: ????????
# group: ????????

My /etc/profile and /etc/passwd were just fine before the update.
Everything should have worked. The only files / dirs that were messed
up had today's date.

> uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 Master-PC 1.7.16(0.262/5/3) 2012-07-20 22:55 i686 Cygwin

> id
uid=1001(Master) gid=513(None)
groups=513(None),545(Users),1007(HelpLibraryUpdaters),1000(HomeUsers)

I am running under an Administrator Group account.

Also, when I ran setup.exe I chose "run as Administrator".

Let me know if you need more information to help out with the diagnosis.

Thanks
--
Terry Lincoln

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-13 13:33 ` Lord Laraby
From: Lord Laraby @ 2012-08-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

That situation averted. I rebooted the PC into safe mode to try and
make repairs. But, apparently, just rebooting made all the bad files
and folders go away.

However, I have a new problem with postinstall autorebase.bat ...

It fails with exit code 1 - and prints that it can't find a dll.

D:\Programs\cygwin\etc\postinstall>autorebase.bat
/usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll: skipped be
cause nonexistent.

It's simply a symlink to a nonexistent file in /bin cygperl5_14_2.dll

I've reinstalled the perl package twice and it's always missing and
still recreating the symlink. So it won't complete autorebaseall.

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-13 15:50   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-08-13 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/13/2012 9:28 AM, Lord Laraby wrote:
> That situation averted. I rebooted the PC into safe mode to try and
> make repairs. But, apparently, just rebooting made all the bad files
> and folders go away.
>
> However, I have a new problem with postinstall autorebase.bat ...
>
> It fails with exit code 1 - and prints that it can't find a dll.
>
> D:\Programs\cygwin\etc\postinstall>autorebase.bat
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll: skipped be
> cause nonexistent.

This is just a warning, which you can ignore.  See

Ken

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-13 22:30     ` Lord Laraby
From: Lord Laraby @ 2012-08-13 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

>> D:\Programs\cygwin\etc\postinstall>autorebase.bat
>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll:
>> skipped be
>> cause nonexistent.
>

> This is just a warning, which you can ignore.  See
> Ken

Aye. That I see now. However, shouldn't autorebase.bat actually do
something? Or is it not like rebaseall? My guess is it's only trying
to rebase that specific file and failing. If that's so, I'm fine with
it.

Lord Laraby

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-13 22:47       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-08-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/13/2012 5:49 PM, Lord Laraby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> D:\Programs\cygwin\etc\postinstall>autorebase.bat
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/5.14/i686-cygwin-threads-64int/CORE/cygperl5_14_2.dll:
>>> skipped be
>>> cause nonexistent.
>>

>> This is just a warning, which you can ignore.  See
>> Ken
>
> Aye. That I see now. However, shouldn't autorebase.bat actually do
> something? Or is it not like rebaseall? My guess is it's only trying
> to rebase that specific file and failing. If that's so, I'm fine with
> it.

autorebase.bat does run rebaseall, and there's no reason to think it
isn't doing anything.  It's not failing; it's just reporting that there
was one specific file that it couldn't rebase.  If there's no other
error message, you can assume it did its job.

Ken

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-14  0:04         ` Lord Laraby
From: Lord Laraby @ 2012-08-14  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

>>> This is just a warning, which you can ignore.  See
>>> Ken
>>
>> Aye. That I see now. However, shouldn't autorebase.bat actually do
>> something? Or is it not like rebaseall? My guess is it's only trying
>> to rebase that specific file and failing. If that's so, I'm fine with
>> it.
>
> autorebase.bat does run rebaseall, and there's no reason to think it isn't
> doing anything.  It's not failing; it's just reporting that there was one
> specific file that it couldn't rebase.  If there's no other error message,
> you can assume it did its job.
>

> Ken

Well I say it's not doing anything because the prompt returns
immediately and prints the error above. I have run rebaseall several
times over the course of using Cygwin tools. It nearly always runs for
at least 20 seconds and often much longer.

So, it seemed odd.

--
Lord Laraby

* Re: Cygwin setup scrambled permissions
@ 2012-08-14  3:15           ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-08-14  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/13/2012 6:47 PM, Lord Laraby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

>>> Aye. That I see now. However, shouldn't autorebase.bat actually do
>>> something? Or is it not like rebaseall? My guess is it's only trying
>>> to rebase that specific file and failing. If that's so, I'm fine with
>>> it.
>>
>> autorebase.bat does run rebaseall, and there's no reason to think it isn't
>> doing anything.  It's not failing; it's just reporting that there was one
>> specific file that it couldn't rebase.  If there's no other error message,
>> you can assume it did its job.
>>

>> Ken
>
> Well I say it's not doing anything because the prompt returns
> immediately and prints the error above. I have run rebaseall several
> times over the course of using Cygwin tools. It nearly always runs for
> at least 20 seconds and often much longer.

So you're complaining that rebaseall runs _more_quickly_ than in the past?
Someone needs to flag this post in the email archives for posterity.  Or
at least we can use it as something to point to when someone in the future
complains about Cygwin being slow. ;-)

> So, it seemed odd.

OK, despite my attempt at light humor above, it's a fair question.  Rebasing
now keeps a DB of things that have already been rebased.  So there's no
longer a need to rebase all the Cygwin DLLs on your system each time
rebaseall is run.  For more info, see /usr/share/doc/rebase/README.  Of
course if you want it to run more slowly like you're used to, you can pass
the -b flag.  That will force it to rebase all the Cygwin DLLs and you'll
be able to get your full enjoyment of rebaseall just like you used to.  ;-)

--
Larry

A: Yes.