On 09/04/2012 04:39 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote: > On 04/09/2012 8:58 AM, Václav Zeman wrote: >> Hi. >> >> I am am porting a library that can use the __thread keyword in its >> internals to provide thread local storage. Now, with MSVC there is a >> limitation on pre-Vista Windows (see [1]) that DLLs using >> __declspec(thread) (MSVC equivalent of GCC's __thread) cannot be >> loaded using LoadLibrary() because pre-Vista Windows allocate the TLS >> declared that way only on process startup. Vista and later Windows do >> not seem to have the limitation. Since Cygwin officially still >> supports at least Windows XP, I want to provide a library that works >> there as well. >> >> Does Cygwin's GCC and its TLS emulation work around this problem? IOW, >> are Cygwin DLLs using TLS declared using __thread keyword safe to be >> loaded using LoadLibrary()/dlopen() or are they not safe to be loaded >> that way? >> >> [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2s9wt68x.aspx >> > I suspect it's not a problem, but if I were you I'd write a simple > test program to see. Unfortunately, TLS in general seems broken on my > machine when I tried it, but that might be due to my home-brew gcc > being configured wrong or something. I would have done that already but I do not have any Windows XP machine to try this on. -- VZ