* Any article talk about cygwin overall architecture
@ 2012-10-19  3:38 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen)
From: 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) @ 2012-10-19  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

  I am studying two simliar compatibility layers, one is WINE,
and the other of course is Cygwin. WINE has a picture shows it's
overall architecture on it's web site. I am wondering if there
is any article talk about Cygwin's, too? Thanks.

Regards,
chenwj

[1] http://www.winehq.org/
[2] http://www.winehq.org/docs/winedev-guide/x2540

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,

* Re: Any article talk about cygwin overall architecture
@ 2012-10-19  3:56 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-10-19  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/18/2012 11:38 PM, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I am studying two simliar compatibility layers, one is WINE,
> and the other of course is Cygwin. WINE has a picture shows it's
> overall architecture on it's web site. I am wondering if there
> is any article talk about Cygwin's, too? Thanks.

No, no overall diagram like the WINE link you pointed to.  But the
high-level picture is pretty simple.  cygwin1.dll forms a layer between
Windows (and NT) APIs that allow POSIX/Linux apps to build and run
without modifying the code.  This is, of course, quite different from
WINE which offers a _binary_ compatibility layer for Windows programs
on top of Linux.

But if you are looking for more detailed information about what
Cygwin is and how it works, there is user guide documentation:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net.html>

And there's some very specific "how-to" development documents that can
be found in the source or on-line at the link to the source below:

<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/?cvsroot=src>

Enjoy. :-)

--
Larry