From: Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: real beginer
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 10/23/2012 9:28 AM, Trixie wrote:
> I'm real beginner with cygwin, actually linux and everything related.
> But i need to instal and use certain fortran based program. I installed
> cygwin and several packages. I'm trying to call certain module and all i get
> is
> bash: module: command not found
> I googled it up and i found the solution that i should call
> /etc/profile.d/modules.sh before my module. but there is now module.sh in my
> /profile.d folder! Did i miss some package to install? What should i do?
> Please help! I desperately need to start that program :(((

Dear Trixie:

cygwin does not magically bring all of Linux to the Windows environment.
Rather, it provides a library of Linux (posix, actually) calls that
allows many Linux programs to be re-built to run under Windows, including
bash (and other shells).  I do not see the module program as being
available as a regular cygwin package.  There is also a collection
of packages called cygport (more things ported to run under cygwin),
and I don't see it there either.  So it would appear that it has not
been ported.

However, it is generally something used with another program, the one
you really want to use, to help in setting up environment variables
such as your path.  So ... what is the program you really want to run?
We can see whether THAT program is available at all under cygwin.

It may or may not be difficult to port the module package to cygwin;
someone would have to try.  Many programs port, but not every aspect
of Linux appears in cygwin, so not everything ports, and the level of
effort needed varies.

Regards -- Eliot Moss