* RE: getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT
@ 2001-05-03 15:28 Mark Keil
From: Mark Keil @ 2001-05-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Users

That exact query got me this far.

@ 2001-05-04  1:06 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-05-04  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 06:38:22PM -0400, Mark Keil wrote:
> inline comments, and Thanks

Sometimes, the online user guide is really helpful...

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT
@ 2001-05-03 15:49 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-05-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Keil, cygwin

At 06:38 PM 5/3/2001, Mark Keil wrote:
>inline comments, and Thanks

My inetutils-1.3.2.README says:

The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
the registry:
Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
to the application, eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value
equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".

Did you just not read far enough or is yours different?  Are you up-to-date?

> > >  I put a copy of cygwin1.dll in /usr/sbin
> > >    (same affect as fixing path, the dll gets found)
> >
> > This is a VERY bad idea.  You'll forget about it later,
> > upgrade, and end
> > up with 2 DLLs on your system which WILL conflict.  Stick
> > with the recommended
> > approach if you want support from this list.  We can't debug
> > non-standard
> > installations.  There's just too many variables.
>
>Well, if just dies if it is not there.
>If I can get it to work at all than I will clean up,
>but at the moment this is the least of my problems.

If it just dies then that says to me that your installation is bad.  Go
to www.cygwin.com and clicck on "Install Now" to run setup and get a
proper installation and configuration.  You'll have better luck if you
have everything you need and have it where its needed.

* RE: getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT
@ 2001-05-03 15:39 Mark Keil
From: Mark Keil @ 2001-05-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), cygwin

inline comments, and Thanks

@ 2001-05-03 15:32     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-05-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Users; +Cc: Mark Keil

At 06:23 PM 5/3/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I can't help with the rest, beyond what the documentation says.
> >

>But perhaps http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin+rlogind will help.
>
>Earnie.

Right.  Documentation and the email archives (accessed from your favorite
search engine) are a wealth of information and solutions to problems like
this!:-)  Earnie, thanks for explicitly stating what's always implied in
my responses!;-)

* Re: getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT
@ 2001-05-03 15:23   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-05-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Mark Keil, cygwin

@ 2001-05-03 15:16 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-05-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Keil, cygwin

@ 2001-05-03 15:04 Mark Keil
From: Mark Keil @ 2001-05-03 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Folks,

 I'm trying to get rlogind to work with cygwin 1.1.something,
 and I am baffled as to how to get it to work.

 I'm running Win NT SP5

 I have pkg cygwin-1.1.8-2
    and pkg inetutils-1.3.2-11
    and a bunch of other packages.

 The standard bin stuff works.

 I have read the inetutils-1.3.2-README

 I set CYGWIN = c:\cygwin in the system environment variables.
 I put a copy of cygwin1.dll in /usr/sbin
   (same affect as fixing path, the dll gets found)
 I ran inetd --install-as service
 I rebooted, and one instance of inetd is running.
 If I try rlogin or telent all I get is "login incorrect"
 with no clue as to what might be broken.

 I have tried net stop inetd, net start inetd, with no difference.
 I have run mkpasswd -l, with no luck.
 I have run net stop inetd and just run inetd in a shell,
 and I can see rlogind or rtelnetd started up, but I still
 get login incorrect (probably won't work, not started as a service,
 but at least I can see that I'm connecting.)

 How do I figure out what I have to do to get it running?

Thanks for any info,  Mark Keil