* sshd fails to start: logon failure
@ 2013-02-14 20:43 Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2013-02-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I tried to ssh to my cygwin box today and was unable to connect. It
seems the sshd service can no longer run, for reasons that mystify me:
> # net start sshd
> System error 1069 has occurred.
>
> The service did not start due to a logon failure.

I wasn't aware of having changed anything; would it be advisable to just
reinstall sshd from setup.exe and/or sshd_host_config, or is there some
simple troubleshooting I might do?

In case it helps, the sshd user in /etc/passwd is:
> sshd:unused:1003:513:sshd
> privsep,U-ryan-cms-utsc\sshd,S-1-5-21-2165564742-446954615-706276285-1003:/var/empty:/bin/bash

Thanks!
Ryan

* Re: sshd fails to start: logon failure
@ 2013-02-14 20:53 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-14 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2013 9:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to ssh to my cygwin box today and was unable to connect. It
> seems the sshd service can no longer run, for reasons that mystify me:
>> # net start sshd
>> System error 1069 has occurred.
>>
>> The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>
> I wasn't aware of having changed anything; would it be advisable to just
> reinstall sshd from setup.exe and/or sshd_host_config, or is there some
> simple troubleshooting I might do?

reinstall is not the way.
Likely something reset the cyg_server privileges.
Try to re-enable them with

editrights -u cyg_server -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
editrights -u cyg_server -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege
editrights -u cyg_server -a SeTcbPrivilege
editrights -u cyg_server -a SeServiceLogonRight
editrights -u cyg_server -a SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege

> In case it helps, the sshd user in /etc/passwd is:
>> sshd:unused:1003:513:sshd
>> privsep,U-ryan-cms-utsc\sshd,S-1-5-21-2165564742-446954615-706276285-1003:/var/empty:/bin/bash
>>

> Thanks!
> Ryan

Regards
Marco

* Re: sshd fails to start: logon failure
@ 2013-02-14 21:02   ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2013-02-14 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14/02/2013 3:52 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 2/14/2013 9:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to ssh to my cygwin box today and was unable to connect. It
>> seems the sshd service can no longer run, for reasons that mystify me:
>>> # net start sshd
>>> System error 1069 has occurred.
>>>
>>> The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of having changed anything; would it be advisable to just
>> reinstall sshd from setup.exe and/or sshd_host_config, or is there some
>> simple troubleshooting I might do?
>
> reinstall is not the way.
> Likely something reset the cyg_server privileges.
> Try to re-enable them with
>
> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege
> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeTcbPrivilege
> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeServiceLogonRight
> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
No luck, the same error still occurs. However, now that you mention it,
I did play with cygserver settings while trying to install pgsql a while
back.

Is there a way to view the privileges to see what I may have broken?

BTW, cygserver was not runnning but starts fine; sshd still won't start,
though.

@ 2013-02-14 21:19     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-02-14 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2013 4:02 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 14/02/2013 3:52 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On 2/14/2013 9:43 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried to ssh to my cygwin box today and was unable to connect. It
>>> seems the sshd service can no longer run, for reasons that mystify me:

>>> I wasn't aware of having changed anything; would it be advisable to just
>>> reinstall sshd from setup.exe and/or sshd_host_config, or is there some
>>> simple troubleshooting I might do?
>>
>> reinstall is not the way.
>> Likely something reset the cyg_server privileges.
>> Try to re-enable them with
>>
>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege
>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeTcbPrivilege
>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeServiceLogonRight
>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
> No luck, the same error still occurs. However, now that you mention it, I
> did play with cygserver settings while trying to install pgsql a while back.
>
> Is there a way to view the privileges to see what I may have broken?

$ editrights -u cyg_server -l
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
SeCreateTokenPrivilege
SeTcbPrivilege
SeServiceLogonRight
SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2013-02-14 22:07       ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2013-02-14 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14/02/2013 4:19 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 2/14/2013 4:02 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:

>>> reinstall is not the way.
>>> Likely something reset the cyg_server privileges.
>>> Try to re-enable them with
>>>
>>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
>>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeCreateTokenPrivilege
>>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeTcbPrivilege
>>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeServiceLogonRight
>>> editrights -u cyg_server -a SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
>> No luck, the same error still occurs. However, now that you mention
>> it, I
>> did play with cygserver settings while trying to install pgsql a
>> while back.
>>
>> Is there a way to view the privileges to see what I may have broken?
>
> $ editrights -u cyg_server -l
> SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
> SeCreateTokenPrivilege
> SeTcbPrivilege
> SeServiceLogonRight
> SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight
Mine has all those, plus SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege (possibly thanks to
the above from Marco).

It seems that I managed to de-configure sshd somehow. There's no
sshd_config in /etc/ (just the skeleton in /etc/defaults/), and
sshd-host-config doesn't seem to exist, either. So, I blew away the sshd
and cygrunsrv services and their associated users and re-ran
ssh-host-config. All is well now... except that now an enormous ascii
art hippo greets me at login. Ick.

@ 2013-02-14 23:51         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2013-02-14 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/14/2013 5:07 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 14/02/2013 4:19 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> No luck, the same error still occurs. However, now that you mention it, I
>>> did play with cygserver settings while trying to install pgsql a while back.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to view the privileges to see what I may have broken?
>>
>> $ editrights -u cyg_server -l
>> SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
>> SeCreateTokenPrivilege
>> SeTcbPrivilege
>> SeServiceLogonRight
>> SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight
> Mine has all those, plus SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege (possibly thanks to the
> above from Marco).
>
> It seems that I managed to de-configure sshd somehow. There's no sshd_config
> in /etc/ (just the skeleton in /etc/defaults/), and sshd-host-config doesn't
> seem to exist, either. So, I blew away the sshd and cygrunsrv services and
> their associated users and re-ran ssh-host-config. All is well now... except
> that now an enormous ascii art hippo greets me at login. Ick.

Just be glad the hippo isn't flying! ;-)

Or you could change/remove /etc/motd.

--
Larry

A: Yes.